Is Audio-GD NFB 15.32 + Audio Technica ATH-AD900 combo good?
Mar 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

zdenko1

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I am new here and I want to buy my first real headphones along with DAC and AMP. About headphones I'm pretty sure but not about DAC. Can someone tell me if the combo is good, and if not, help me pick some for AD900 headphones? DAC should have at least USB and optical output (I want to use it with my PS3), should be around 250€ (something about 320$) and I would like if it were DAC + AMP (like NFB). Thank you very much.

P.S: Is NFB 15.32 compatible with windows 8 x64? On site there are only drivers for windows 7 so can somebody help me with that too?
Here is URL to DAC. http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Hello and welcome to Head-fi!

The 15.32 is a very nice little DAC/amp combo; powerful enough to drive almost any headphone with a balanced sound and super low noise floor.  The Wolfson DAC implementation in the 15.32 is excellent and scales very well with higher end amplifiers if you ever choose to go that route.   I've demo'ed a set of AD900's on the 15.32 and it pairs well enough.  Have you already settled on the AD900's? 

As for Windows 8 compatibility of the drivers:  Some people have had success with the newer 1.22 driver.  There is a lot more information starting at post #334 in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/330

Hope this helps.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
Hello and welcome to Head-fi!

The 15.32 is a very nice little DAC/amp combo; powerful enough to drive almost any headphone with a balanced sound and super low noise floor.  The Wolfson DAC implementation in the 15.32 is excellent and scales very well with higher end amplifiers if you ever choose to go that route.   I've demo'ed a set of AD900's on the 15.32 and it pairs well enough.  Have you already settled on the AD900's? 

As for Windows 8 compatibility of the drivers:  Some people have had success with the newer 1.22 driver.  There is a lot more information starting at post #334 in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/330

Hope this helps.

Hi!

Thank you for your answer. No I haven't tried AD900's yet, but I will try to try them (and other headphones too). There isn't much Hi-Fi studios in Slovakia (there is only one in Bratislava) :frowning2:

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Hi!

Thank you for your answer. No I haven't tried AD900's yet, but I will try to try them (and other headphones too). There isn't much Hi-Fi studios in Slovakia (there is only one in Bratislava) :frowning2:

What kind of sound are you going for? 
What kind of music do you listen to? 

I find the AD900's to be a fairly neutral sounding headphone with an airy sound signature.  They may lack some bass punch but are decently extended. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
What kind of sound are you going for? 
What kind of music do you listen to? 

I find the AD900's to be a fairly neutral sounding headphone with an airy sound signature.  They may lack some bass punch but are decently extended. 

I own Koss Porta Pro and I really like bass on them, but with new headphones I want more clearer and surround sound, so I can really immerse into the song (first of all things I will listen to will be Saeglopur by Sigur Ros :) I listen to almost everything, so I'm really trying to listen to all the genres and all kinds of music: Rock, Metal, Indie, Ambient and many many more so I think this doesn't matter so much; There aren't perfect headphones. Here is my Last.FM profile if you want to check, but there isn't much there; I created it about 2 weeks ago. Thank you. http://www.last.fm/user/RAZORzdenko/library#p2

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Is it OK to bump in this situation? 
blink.gif

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 11
I had borrowed friend 15.32 before, thought it drives well my k702. It adds a bit of bass quantity and also smooth treble a bit. Sometimes I think it is dark but again switching back to odac/o2 the sound signature is not change much, just a bit more on the bright side with more open sounding. To conclude, it is a tad of darkside, decent dac-amp, quiet background, powerful amp.
At that time i didnt have the ad2000x so i cannot comment on how audiogd pair with ath :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 11
  I had borrowed friend 15.32 before, thought it drives well my k702. It adds a bit of bass quantity and also smooth treble a bit. Sometimes I think it is dark but again switching back to odac/o2 the sound signature is not change much, just a bit more on the bright side with more open sounding. To conclude, it is a tad of darkside, decent dac-amp, quiet background, powerful amp.
At that time i didnt have the ad2000x so i cannot comment on how audiogd pair with ath :)

So the ODAC is the better DAC sound wise?

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #11 of 11
To my ears....odac is better by a small margin. But 15.32 dac has optical / coaxial so you can feed the signal from other source than pc (like cd player etc)....thing odac cannot. For this budget, I think you can't go wrong with either audio-gd, odac-o2 or schiit m&m. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back