Is Audiogon safe?
Jul 16, 2006 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
(holds up dentist drill)

[size=large]"Is it safe?"[/size]

Seriously, I've been thinking about buying a CD-player/transport used from Audiogon instead of new, but have never bought or sold there before.
I use eBay from time to time, and if Audiogon is similar then I'm guessing it has it's share of dodgy sellers and scams to watch out for.

So how would you feel about buying an expensive item like a 1K+ source from Audiogon?
What kinds of checks can one make to verify that the seller is 'legit'?

Thanks for any input you can offer me.

Jul 16, 2006 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Not sure how many on here are old enough to get the "Marathon Man" reference Bosk, but thanks for bringing that creepy image of Laurence Olivier back into my head.
biggrin.gif

I've used Audiogon on several occasions, and find it to be quite safe. As with ebay make sure to check the sellers feedback. If you look at the names you'll find several Head-Fiers selling on there. You can ask the seller for his home phone number and physical address, and check them out first. That's a good idea for a more expensive purchase.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 10
I've bought and sold many items on Agon over the years, and I can't really think of even one transaction that went AWOL.

Do read people's feedback carefully, knowing Audiogon administration does delete negative feedbacks for their "major" advertisers/dealers often.

If you hang out there long enough, you learn to recognize user names as being members of forums like Audio Asylum, Audio Circle, or Head-fi, and I usually prefer to do business with one of these people I already "know."

Also, avoid random international sellers/buyers who have few feedback. Bad news.

Whatever you do, avoid sites like Audioweb, Audioshopper, etc that have sharks swimming around.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 10
In my opinion, Audiogon is much safer than eBay. You're dealing with enthusiasts (mostly) who baby their equipment. Of course, you must look at feedback. I've done a lot of transactions there (my handle is same as on head-fi), always with people with all positive feedback (I'd avoid anyone with any negative feedback), and have had only great experiences. On eBay, however, I've had at least a few items arrive where I was disappointed.

And I totally agree with Jon L that Audioweb, etc are to be avoided. I got burned for $100 on one of those, primarily because my confidence got built up on Audiogon, and I foolishly applied that confidence to another site.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes, I think Audiogon is safe. I just completed my first transaction there and was worried about the exact same thing. But I looked around, checked out the feedback system and just had a transaction that went perfectly. The seller I bought from had perfect feedback and was very responsive and friendly. I'll buy there again.

Jul 16, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Audiogon, eBay or Head-Fi are not inherently safe or dangerous by themselves it’s the Sellers or Buyers that you have to deal with.

So blanket statements need not apply.

Your question should probably be “What steps should I take to maximize the chances of a Successful Purchase on Audiogon”.

Read their Feedback. Check their current listings. Contact previous Buyers with Questions. Pay via a method that provides some form of Security- Credit Card through PayPal. Get the Sellers contact information- Phone number and mailing address. Call and talk to the Seller. Establish what warranty is provided with the unit. Ship the unit insured to your Verified PayPal Address. Pay a reasonable fee for shipping- The important thing is it arrives safely so don’t nickel and dime the Seller on shipping- Proper \ Quality Shipping Materials \ Boxes cost money and not everyone has access to used boxes.

Most importantly ask questions first and don’t assume anything. Be clear and forthright- communication is the Key to a Successful transaction.

Upon receipt of the item check it out fully and completely immediately. Contact the Seller as soon as possible upon receipt and inspection informing them of it’s arrival and whether it meets your expectations.

If it’s damaged in shipment- the box is trashed- take pictures and document everything. Tell the Delivery Person at the time if there’s obvious damage to the box. Work with the Seller since they are the ones that file the claim since they bought the insurance. Regardless of what happens the Seller is your friend and you need their cooperation.

Communication, asking questions and promptness are keys to a good transaction.

Good Luck Mitch

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Audiogon is fine I've bought a few $2K+ items there over the past few years. I do think braillediver's suggestions are all things that you should do. I'd also make sure to try to find out ahead of time how they plan to package and ship the item. That way if its not up to your liking you ask them to double box it for example.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Before getting into headphones, when I still had a dedicated listening room, I bought and sold a fair amount of equipment on audiogon. Well over $20,000 in total transactions, with several single items in the $5k range. I never had even the slightest problem. That's not to say that everyone on audiogon is reputable, but my experience was uniformly positive.

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 10
“I'd also make sure to try to find out ahead of time how they plan to package and ship the item. That way if its not up to your liking you ask them to double box it for example.”

Yes. Take nothing for granted- don’t assume anything. Asking pertinent questions before hand can help avoid heartbreak. If the Seller blows you off when you ask about packaging or doesn’t agree with your concerns over his methods then it’s best to walk away before money has changed hands.

Another thing for me is going by your instincts. If there’s anything uncomfortable about the Seller or the transaction in anyway “Walk Away” before committing otherwise you might have regrets after it’s too late. You haven’t lost any money missing a good deal but you have if the deal goes sour.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back