Is ED10 a good choice for a Full-sized can Newbie?
Dec 9, 2010 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I am "pretty much there" for IEMs - with Hifiman 801, RSA Black Bird,  UE18 Pro with ALO SXC cable. I will also get ES5 at some point. My other IEMs include SE530, ER4P, TF10 Pro, Westone 3, Ortofon EQ7 and ATH CK100.

But I am a complete newb for full sized can. I am thinking about putting a full sized can at my office - the problem with IEM is I had to take out the thingy everytime someone comes in to talk to me and that looks a bit awkward to the intruder. With full sized cans at least s/he would know you are listening to something and it would just take a second to put it down.  Also I can't hear my phone ring at all sometimes with IEMs on.

My preferences:

One

I want to go for high-end cans. Not because I am rich - actually exactly the opposite - I spent too much on non-custom IEMs and in the end found out that just 1 pair of custom made (UE18 Pro) would almost top them all. Yes, the CK100 may still have a bit more sparkling highs than the 18 Pro, but overall none of these IEMs I own has half the total score of the 18 Pro imo. Because I am nor rich as of now, I don't want to repeat what I had been through for IEMs. I want top. One can to rule them all.

Two

I am not ready to spend 3X or more of the price of high-end full sized cans at the moment I buy the headphones in order to hear it right. I would like to, if possible, use my current setup and get as much from the headphones, i.e. I just want to get the cans first and worry about other things later. 

I am not saying I will stick with my iphone 4 to push the high end cans forever, but at least I want something that sounds like what it is worth even without an amp of 3X of the cans' price. From what I have read, I don't think the Hifiman or RSA can get 10% of the potential of HD800 or T1, whereas the ED10 seems to be sounding pretty good straight out of ipod, is that right? 

Conclusion

Thank you very much for reading. Given the two preferences above, the only choice seems to be - Ultrasone ED10 Limited Edition? Any other suggestions? Many thanks.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 20
You are right, you should probably go for the Editions, it is the only can that works for you.  Keeping a multi-thousand dollar pair of headphones at work is a pretty solid choice.

Dec 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 20
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the price of the edition 10 couldn't you get something like the lcd2 and a good amp instead?  

If google has anything to say about the matter you could get any one of the other headphones (hd800 and t1) and still have over $1000 to spend on an amp.  I think that getting the edition 10 for unamped use is silly when you could get another ultra high end headphone and an amazing amp for probably less money.  

Dec 10, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #4 of 20
From what I have read so far, $1000 amps aren't really up to par for driving the HD800s or T1s, could anyone confirm? Plus I don't have any decent CD player - can I use Hifiman 801 as source?

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 20
Not many people can answer this question for you since only a handful of people have actually heard the Ed10.  Also, the idea that a $1000 amp can't drive a HD800 or T1 is absurd.  Your ipod won't sound the greatest with them, but it could probably tide you over until you have more experience/research under your belt and know what amp you want to pair with one of those headphones.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 20
I agree with n3rdling, it's ridiculous what people come up with on this board.  A new member could easily walk away from here thinking that he needs a $700 Burson amp to drive his Apple ibuds. 

Sennheiser, in their own promotions use a Lehmann amp (like $700) for the HD800.  Beyerdynamic use their own A1, about $850 to drive the T1 at their booths.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 20
I don't think open headphones are a good idea for the office, unless you have your own private room, you will annoy everybody in a 30 foot radius. If you are gonna blow 3 grand on the man's jewelry (sorry, headphone) that is the Edition 10, why not get a cheaper headphone and a desktop amp like others have said? You will actually be paying less money for a better system.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah you should probably get some closed cans for work, but I don't know how many top tier closed cans there are :O.  Maybe you could try the new Z1000 or something?  I don't know if I would trust the people I work with leaving a 3000$ bad art deco headphone at work but hey it's not my money.  It's not even like other employees really, I don't trust the interns and other employee's children who work over the summer randomly.

If you listen at really low volume open cans might be okay, or if you have your own office possibly, I do and I still don't feel comfortable with open headphones at work.  Even if you do decide it's fine to use open cans, the other high end offerings tend to be at least 1k less at a minimum, unless you are gonna get some especially rare out of production headphones maybe.

Dec 10, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 20
I got my private room at work so that shouldn't be a problem. Some of the people put stereos or even full blown amp->speakers setup in their rooms...

On amping - I won't do it without any amping, just not desktop amp. I have the RSA Black Bird and the Hifiman 801 which I believe should be sufficient to drive the ED10 given its specs?

Dec 11, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 20
My friend said he bought a "graham slee solo ultra linear" for HD800. Is that a good match and is the Beta/Sigma 33 better than it?

Dec 11, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
... the only choice seems to be Ultrasone ED10 Limited Edition ...

In theory - maybe, maybe not.  But in practice, you might not be able to get one.  The Edition 10 is in short supply worldwide.  U.S. pre-orders from much earlier this year have not yet been filled.  Early reports from Asia and Europe seem reasonably positive, so it's probably a decent phone, which means the production run will sell out and very few will appear on the used market, and the used price might be higher than list.  Probably better to find something more mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back