Is HD280 as bad as I think it is?
Aug 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

prowler88

New Head-Fier
Hi
yesterday I went to a store to check out some of sennheiser headphones.
first, I tried HD555. (I have a HD485 for 2 years). and GOD! it sounded amazing. the sound was very live and pleasant. then I tried HD280. (BTW the source was my laptop) and it sounded muffled and I couldn't hear anything even close to bass.
so what's the problem? they say HD280 has a huge amount of punchy bass. but HD555 had more bass and lows were really nice and sweet. and of course more than HD280.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 32
The HD280 Pro actually doesn't lack all that much deep bass. What it lacks is midbass which is what many judge headphones on in terms of them lacking bass.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 32
On the Hd280, i wasn't to impressed with the pair i bought for my brother. However, after about 200 hours or so (He uses them a lot), they opened up a great deal.

Even so, i wouldn't dream of comparing them to my grado sr225i, or any open pair of cans for that matter. it just seem so different.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 32
I would agree that the HD280's are pretty awful. I make a conscious effort to deter people from them since I have realized how bad they are after hearing better phones at lower prices. I find them lacking in bass and really woolly sounding. The only thing they do right is isolation - which is really unmatched.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 32
I found the hd 280 to have very unnatutral sound.I'm not sure that my portable player was the reason for that,because hd 595 sounded nice out of it.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 32
MY thoughts on the HD280 are already well documented.

Awful horrendous stinking piles of crap puts it politely. I would pick the Triport every time.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by prowler88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
yesterday I went to a store to check out some of sennheiser headphones.
first, I tried HD555. (I have a HD485 for 2 years). and GOD! it sounded amazing. the sound was very live and pleasant. then I tried HD280. (BTW the source was my laptop) and it sounded muffled and I couldn't hear anything even close to bass.
so what's the problem? they say HD280 has a huge amount of punchy bass. but HD555 had more bass and lows were really nice and sweet. and of course more than HD280.

Were they amped?

Sep 1, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 32
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were they amped?

no, they were not. as i said i used them with my laptop.
but I think I should have mentioned somthing. HD555 was hanging there, like it had been used for months. but the seller took 280 out of the box.
is 280 supposed NOT to have any bass without burn-in?

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 32
upon careful examination, I have found that the current revision of the Sennheiser HD280 professional phones have newer drivers. I friend of mine working at Sennheiser (R&D) have stated that there are two versions of drivers made for the Sennheiser HD280. The first version required an exceptionally long break-in time thus discouraging many of the headphone listeners out there citing the lacking of presence and bass. Only after 3000+hours for which the drivers would have settled a bit to provide the soundstage and dynamics that many listeners were searching for. The newer drivers introduced in 2005 was suppose to address the long burn-in issue however many were complaining that the sound was not only flat, but uninvolving hence the exceptionally negative and unhelpful response from Duggeh (your opinion is understandable but not helpful at all since I have been considered by my many peers as having an unbiased ear).

I have the first version and have accumulated about 16000+hours on them (was my primary headphone for more than three-years until I purchased the Sennheiser HD650 with Cardas cable upgrade). The soundstage now is very expansive with a warmth that is very close to the Sennheiser HD650. The treble extension doesn't really rival the HD650, but I am not complaining since it has significantly better isolation than the Triports that my brother has given to me in exchange for my ATH-W5000.

I still have the Sennheiser HD280 (piles of crap according to Duggeh - Again I feel it is unhelpful for those seeking a good isolation, closed headphone within budget) from 2002 so I know how the sound signature changed over the course of 7+years with the original headband with the earcup padding replaced. Moon Audio built me a Cardas Cable replacement for the HD280 so the sound has improved significantly. This again is based on my experience and not an opinion.

Also one other note, don't be fooled by the low impedence that headphones have. I have had trieds these headphones from my laptop (macbook pro unibody), iPod, and an older Sony Discman and I must say, the quality is as mentioned above in the last few posts. Once an amp is put into play, CMOY, PIMETA, or something of the sort, the sound quality improves significantly. This is again based on my experience with them and not an opinion.

Before Duggeh starts degrading this post, ask yourself if his negative words actually mean anything to how it affects your decision in purchasing a headphone. An unbiased ear helps more than the constant berating criticism of a person who clearly can't come up with something intelligent to say about a particular headphone. If you don't like it, that is fine, however some of us actually have a the time and patience for something to sound good.

Hope this helps everybody in regards to the HD280. Until the, have a great week and Labor-Day weekend.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 32
yklee, assuming that you are correct and the HD280 *do* change significantly after 3000 hours (!), is it realistic to expect that the modern electronics consumer is prepared to wait that long and/or observe some arcane burn-in ritual simply to enjoy these headphones ?

Please ask your friend at Sennheiser R&D to conduct a few more trials on actual *human beings* (not 'audiophiles'..) before releasing any more headphones : of all the manufacturers, I consider Sennheiser the most enigmatic : they clearly have the engineering talent to make great headphones, so why cant they emulate Audio-Technica's ability to manufacture a fantastic midrange headphone like the AD900 ? Or something on par with the DT150/DT250 - instead, they give us the HD500 series : overpriced mediocrity at best.

Please tell your friend that I'll be voting with my wallet until Sennheiser lift their game in the midrange market - they basically have little of interest between the HD238 and HD600 for mine, and the latter are way overpriced here in Oz.

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
upon careful examination, I have found that the current revision of the Sennheiser HD280 professional phones have newer drivers. I friend of mine working at Sennheiser (R&D) have stated that there are two versions of drivers made for the Sennheiser HD280. The first version required an exceptionally long break-in time thus discouraging many of the headphone listeners out there citing the lacking of presence and bass. Only after 3000+hours for which the drivers would have settled a bit to provide the soundstage and dynamics that many listeners were searching for. The newer drivers introduced in 2005 was suppose to address the long burn-in issue however many were complaining that the sound was not only flat, but uninvolving hence the exceptionally negative and unhelpful response from Duggeh (your opinion is understandable but not helpful at all since I have been considered by my many peers as having an unbiased ear).

3000 hour driver burn in is unrestrained horse crap of the absolute highest purity and calibre. That's 125 days. Assuming an 8 hour working day with the headphones every day at a studio or elsewhere that works out at over a year of working time (375 days) before the headphones are then fit for use for the job they've been doing. I do not care how you try and fold up that sort of crap. It'll never make a paper plane that'll fly.

As for your claim of being the amazing unbiased ear that's even less helpful than either of our opinions because who the hell are these "peers"? You make a monumentally outlandish technical claim and then follow it up with an asbsolutely unverifiable and unsubstanciated personal one. Your entire first paragraph is a hollow nonsense of the first degree.

Quote:

I have the first version and have accumulated about 16000+hours on them (was my primary headphone for more than three-years until I purchased the Sennheiser HD650 with Cardas cable upgrade).

Now this is a good one. Lets call "more than three years" for the sake of simple maths "four years". Although it won't be as long as four years otherwise you'd have said "four years" because it's already plain to see you have a fondness for throwing out some big numbers to make things look grand.

16000 hours is (about) 667 days of use at 24 hours per day. Thats 2000 days of use at 8 hours per day. There are 365 days in a year. Times four years (although your real figure is less than four) and that makes for 1460 days in four years at an 8 hour day.

Where were you the other 540 days?

In order for a four year working period (although yours is shorter, being three and a bit) to accumulate 16000 hours on a pair of headphones, you'd have to work about 2 seconds less than 11 hours per day, every day, including weekends and taking no holidays!

That number is going to be up towards 12 hours per day every day as we edge into "three and a bit years" territory.

[size=medium]Your numbers are nothing if not complete and utter fantasy and lies.[/size]

Quote:

The soundstage now is very expansive with a warmth that is very close to the Sennheiser HD650. The treble extension doesn't really rival the HD650, but I am not complaining since it has significantly better isolation than the Triports that my brother has given to me in exchange for my ATH-W5000.

I don't know what magical time shifting magic you used to get the headphones to sound like that, but the second daft part of this paragraph is that you swapped a W5000 for a Triport. I like the Triport more than most people on this forum but even I pale at that swap.

Quote:

I still have the Sennheiser HD280 (piles of crap according to Duggeh - Again I feel it is unhelpful for those seeking a good isolation, closed headphone within budget) from 2002 so I know how the sound signature changed over the course of 7+years with the original headband with the earcup padding replaced.

Why has your timeframe suddenly become seven years? More time travelling magic? And what does that part in the parenthesis actually mean? It actually doesn't make sense.

Quote:

Moon Audio built me a Cardas Cable replacement for the HD280 so the sound has improved significantly. This again is based on my experience and not an opinion.

I'm sorry? "This again is based on my experience and not an opinion." What?

Really. Read what you just wrote there. Try to see whats wrong with what you've written. An 11 year old should be able to spot it. I'll give you a hint. Look up "opinion" in the dictionary.

Quote:

Also one other note, don't be fooled by the low impedence that headphones have. I have had trieds these headphones from my laptop (macbook pro unibody), iPod, and an older Sony Discman and I must say, the quality is as mentioned above in the last few posts. Once an amp is put into play, CMOY, PIMETA, or something of the sort, the sound quality improves significantly. This is again based on my experience with them and not an opinion.

I've written enough posts on how "IMPEDANCE IS NOT HOW YOU TELL IF A HEADPHONE IS HARD TO DRIVE" before. That someone who seeks to belittle another users opinion simply because he does not like them or agree with them doesn't know this simple fact adds further to my worries.

Quote:

Before Duggeh starts degrading this post...

I think that anyone with half a brain doesn't need to have me degrade this post. Most of it speaks for itself in that regard.

Quote:

...ask yourself if his negative words actually mean anything to how it affects your decision in purchasing a headphone.

It should if they're less experienced than me and I'm trying to be unreserved in my opinions in order to save them the dissapointment on every level that these headphones represent for a musical experience.

Quote:

An unbiased ear helps more than the constant berating criticism of a person who clearly can't come up with something intelligent to say about a particular headphone. If you don't like it, that is fine, however some of us actually have a the time and patience for something to sound good.

I've written long and articulate and detailed posts in the past listing the litany of failings that the HD280 has as a headphone. Both in terms of its design and of its sound. But its so much simpler to write a short post making clear my dislike for the headphone and encouraging others to stay clear, rather than posting a small essay which might actually even put off the person who is a newbie here and wants to-the-point replies because he's browsing amazon.

Quote:

Hope this helps everybody in regards to the HD280. Until the, have a great week and Labor-Day weekend.

I hope not, and I'll try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back