Is Head-fi Dying?
Oct 12, 2023 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just curious - I don't see nearly as much action on these forums as there used to be in the golden days.

In general, it seems the excitement over headphones has kind of died (especially recently) to where it was several years ago. Even just peeking at the main page today, some 20-ish odd threads had some post today which really isn't much at all.

This year in general (2023) has seemed slower than ever.

I'm not sure if anyone else has picked up on this but these forums were popping off with activity in the past - maybe some of the people found new places to talk about this stuff and went there or maybe it's just not as popular as a hobby anymore. I think this site is still great and clean layout and I've met great people on here so I'm wondering if my observation is shared.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 67
Don’t forget there are way more options now. As such a lot of activity was concentrated on a few select headphones and threads back in the day. One could make the case that head fi fervor hasn’t changed or even increased but just more diluted across the manifold options and different outlets

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #8 of 67
I don't think interest in headphones is dying - if anything I'd say it's growing. Just look at how much the average non-enthusiast is willing to spend on consumer headphones these days - a good portion of those end up discovering similarly priced audiophile gear at some point.

It's traditional forums that decreased in popularity over the years, people wanted everything in one place, so all in one forum sites like Reddit, all in one chatroom apps like Discord, and other big social media sites that try to be the one place people congregate, have all exploded in popularity while individual niche hobby forums (like head-fi and similar sites) took a massive hit to their userbase.

It's a shame, I think sites like these have much more in depth and interesting discussions - "all in one" social media sites like Reddit etc often tend to be so fast moving that even if you get a good discussion going the thread is completely banished to the void by the next day.

Though Reddit had its own exodus recently after they introduced the requirements for third party apps to pay for API access. This caused a lot of users to leave and I saw a lot of talk of people returning to traditional forums. It made me hopeful that maybe the "do everything on one site" phase will come to an end and niche interest sites will have their day again. One can hope anyway!

(On that note though, as far as traditional forums go, Head-fi is definitely one of the ones that's doing most well still, some other sites I've seen that used to be VERY active are so inactive now most sections don't see a single new post for days)

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 67
Too much marketing, fanboism, fake reviews and such have destroyed the forums I’d say.
Outside these forums, Head-fi is often referred to as snake-oil forum these days.
If this is the case, the hobby itself is dying. Those websites that refer to this forum as snake oil very few buy high end headphones, and spend even less on DACs or AMPS, if they buy those at all. Usually not, most people I see don't get anything more expensive than HD600, and many are moving to bluetooth like Apple or Sony (Which is where I see most expensive purchases going) and ditching wired entirely. Even for home.

I should probably ditch some of hoarding, it may get more difficult to sell later on. Many of the New Generation think this hobby is for easily fooled people who spend too much money that can't be verified with science. I think it will go the same way as speakers, a very niche hobby while most buy bluetooth headphones like many just buy soundbars nowadays.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 67
I agree with MakeshiftApe that the interest in headphones has never been stronger. I don't really think of myself as a hobbiest though. And suppose that's why I've never really felt at home here.... I don't seem to fit at ASR or Discord either though. So not really sure where I belong! :)

I like talkin about measurements and headphones I can afford though (which is currently <$250). And seein what else is new out there that might give me some better results than my current gear. I just wish Head-Fi had a dark theme. Because I mostly browse here at night. And the current theme is just way bright!

Forgot to add that I'm still a wired, analog, over-ear type of guy, with little to no interest in wireless/digital HPs, or IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 67
Could be the over censorship? There was a thread that I was following that got heavily redacted and then just recently a thread for a soon to be released phone just vanished.

Wouldn't say the forums is dying.. it just changed.
…. and if Head-Fi expired …. Dead-Fi 💀 !!!

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 67
Could be the over censorship? There was a thread that I was following that got heavily redacted and then just recently a thread for a soon to be released phone just vanished.

Too much marketing, fanboism, fake reviews and such have destroyed the forums I’d say.

Very valid reasons 👍

My advice (to myself): Limit forum presence and enjoy the music :L3000:

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #15 of 67
I agree with MakeshiftApe that the interest in headphones has never been stronger. I don't really think of myself as a hobbiest though. And suppose that's why I've never really felt at home here.... I don't seem to fit at ASR or Discord either though. So not really sure where I belong! :)

I like talkin about measurements and headphones I can afford though (which is currently <$250). And seein what else is new out there that might give me some better results than my current gear. I just wish Head-Fi had a dark theme. Because I mostly browse here at night. And the current theme is just way bright!

Forgot to add that I'm still a wired, analog, over-ear type of guy, with little to no interest in wireless/digital HPs, or IEMs.
For someone who "doesn't fit in" you sure do post a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back