Is it a good idea to buy Used
May 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mclachlan

New Head-Fier
as someone under the age of 18, i struggle getting money together, i have recently saved up a little over one hundred dollars and have decided to buy a Pair of "Audio Technica ATH-M50s" now i could buy them new for 150 dollars or buy a used pair from a group that seems to be reputable for around 115 dollars. 

here is the location i had considered buying used  http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A23M3KL3V61UGY

i dont really have any experienced buying headphones, and its quality is listed as "Like New" and the return policy promises a full refund excluding shipping and handling.  so i would like your opinion. and thank you.

May 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
as someone under the age of 18, i struggle getting money together, i have recently saved up a little over one hundred dollars and have decided to buy a Pair of "Audio Technica ATH-M50s" now i could buy them new for 150 dollars or buy a used pair from a group that seems to be reputable for around 115 dollars. 

here is the location i had considered buying used  http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&me=A23M3KL3V61UGY

I don't really have any experienced buying headphones, and its quality is listed as "Like New" and the return policy promises a full refund excluding shipping and handling.  so i would like your opinion. and thank you.

Could not get the link to work.
As long as the seller has lots of good feedback, you should do all right.
Lots of people think a headphone will sound better after the first 100 hours of use. anyway.
So a used HP might sound better then a new HP.

May 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 13
When buying used, I stick to Head-Fi's own FS/FT forums and to highly-acclaimed sellers on Amazon and eBay. If they have very high customer satisfaction in the past you should be fine, and Amazon is generally pretty good when dealing with and ratting out scams if you do run into trouble.

May 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 13
Good luck!

May 29, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
thanks for the advice, im going to to take the used pair, the seller has a 95% service rating, and if im dissatisfied i can always return them.

Why not demo headphones on a store first? I.E. guitar center? sometimes waiting and returning headphones if you dont like it sucks. 
Just a thought. 

May 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Why not demo headphones on a store first? I.E. guitar center? sometimes waiting and returning headphones if you dont like it sucks. 
Just a thought. 

Amazon's return policy is good enough that it's not worth the trouble to go to a store, and selection at Guitar Center and (especially) Best Buy can be iffy. My local Guitar Center doesn't have any headphones at all in-store.

May 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 13
well, the most expensive headphones that i had owned prior to this were a Pair of Klipsch IEMs. my friend owned a pair of Beats Headphones and although it was kind of fun listening to Bass heavy electronic tracks, everything else sounded really mediocre. im sure any high quality pair of headphones would sound awesome to my untrained ears.

May 30, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Since joining Head-Fi more that half the phones I've owned have been used, all purchased here. I've never been burned. It's an excellent way to save money.

I don't think anyone on this website would really try to burn anyone, because we all have such a passion for headphones. It's hard to think that any head-fier would try to do that anyways. But then again there is always that exception though, I doubt anything like that will show up here though.

May 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Let's put it this way: if I couldn't buy used, I wouldn't have the Stax Lambda set I'm using now (and love), because all the new ones start expensive and get REALLY expensive.

You can get some great deals on all sorts of technology (not just headphones) if you don't mind buying used stuff. Just be sure you know the condition details of whatever you're buying and that the seller's trustworthy.

May 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Always good to buy used.  It's what makes the forsale forums go round and round.  Just like anything, used items have been hit with depreciation with more room to negotiate, but not always.

For FOTM items, wait until the excitement and hype dies down for best prices. Also, for any like new condition item, expect a typical 20-30% discount from new prices. 

It's a good idea to assume most used goods don't have a transferable warranty unless an invoice can be provided.  However, Amazon used purchases can typically add-on a third party warranty provider (Squaretrade) at the time of purchase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back