Is it okay to buy refurbished headphones?
Feb 12, 2012 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ivantoar

100+ Head-Fier
When I was looking for Sennheiser HD-598 prices, I saw this site

http://www.dakmart.com/p12252/SENNHEISER-HD598-OPEN-EAR-STEREO-HEADPHONES-W-WARRANTY/product_info.html

They are selling refurbished Sennheiser HD-598 at $170 and this site is listed in Sennheiser authorized online retailer. I can't say no to the price they offer, however it is refurbished item and I'm unsure about the quality and durability. It is advisable to buy refurbished headphones? In general, how is their quality and durability compare to brand new headphones?

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 14
I wouldnt worry about it. Those drivers are very high quality, and can be pushed quite hard. My cousin discovered this after trying something I told him not to do (crank the e9 all the way to 11); they were so loud, I could hear the headphones downstairs in the livingroom
eek.gif

The refurbs could be from the first batch that had headband splitting issues (by the cup, not the middle), or customer returns. Either way, I doubt you'll get a b-grade product.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I wouldnt worry about it. Those drivers are very high quality, and can be pushed quite hard. My cousin discovered this after trying something I told him not to do (crank the e9 all the way to 11); they were so loud, I could hear the headphones downstairs in the livingroom
eek.gif

The refurbs could be from the first batch that had headband splitting issues (by the cup, not the middle), or customer returns. Either way, I doubt you'll get a b-grade product.

Super! Thanks. I'll surely buy this one if my decision of taking 598 is final.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 14
With respect to all the replies, refurbished could be a defective item has been repaired.

I bought before a refurbished laptop, and it has a series issue in the screen, then i return it back.

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 14
This one has a factory warranty. Should there be a problem with the item, it wouldn't be an issue IF I live in the States. I can send the item back in couple days. However, I live in SE Asia, so I guess that will take weeks to reach there. The process can be painfully long.

It is a deal. I'll save approximately $115 by buying that instead of brand new sold in the city I'm residing.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
With respect to all the replies, refurbished could be a defective item has been repaired.

I bought before a refurbished laptop, and it has a series issue in the screen, then i return it back.

It really comes down to who does the refurbishing. Some people use third parties, and others are just plain bad at it (AKA, monstercable). From what I read, Sennheiser provides a 90 day warranty on their house refurbished items, and go through quality testing before being passed on.

PS: I have a refurbished dell laptop, and that thing is insanely well built; however, it is a business grade model.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 14
Finally got mine :) The factory refurbished Sennheiser was good as new. Even might be better than the one I listened to at a headphone store. It had no scratches, had perfect sound although a bit flat because it was just out of the box, hoping it will get better along burn in. It has a 90 day additional warranty, so I am extremely happy with mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back