Is it unorthodox to compare IEMS to full sized headphones?
Aug 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
I have beats Pro and I'm considering getting replacements which also include IEM's and my options for those are monster turbine regular and monster turbine pro gold. is it proper to compare them?

Aug 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 6
well I have no comments on Beats or Monster IEM/Cans

but I do can tell you fullsized can (open/closed) generally have better soundstage to IEM(even compre to the top tiers/customs IEM)
and Cans usually able to produce deeper bass(physical limitation of IEM)

in these two area, IEM cannot compete with  full sized cans.

IEM, however able to cover the rest of qualities of Fullsized can.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 6
Interesting you posted this, because I was wondering the same thing. I have the Atrio MG7 and I wanted an affordable full sized phones that can either match or exceed[size=small] [/size]the Atrio's sound signature and powerful sub-bass, because the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's ain't doing it for me. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
well I have no comments on Beats or Monster IEM/Cans

but I do can tell you fullsized can (open/closed) generally have better soundstage to IEM(even compre to the top tiers/customs IEM)
and Cans usually able to produce deeper bass(physical limitation of IEM)

in these two area, IEM cannot compete with  full sized cans.

IEM, however able to cover the rest of qualities of Fullsized can.

I would disagree on deeper bass. There is most certainly a difference in the bass presentation of full-size cans versus that of IEMs. It's difficult to explain, but like the rest of the presentation, I think of the bass of a full-size headphone as being "larger" than IEMs. However, almost every quality IEM I've owned has been able to audibly extend to 35Hz or lower without issue. Some are louder/quieter than others at these low frequencies, of course, as is the case with full-size headphones.

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Not unorthodox at all. Sound is sound. It doesn't matter where it comes from. Some top-tier (custom) IEMs compete quite well with even high-end full-size headphones. They don't quite match the endgame electrostatics, but considering how much they've improved and in how short a time, it's not out of the question that someday they will.

Balanced Armature IEMs have issues with treble extension, or at least the universal-fit ones do. Most don't have any meaningful output past 18khz, and some don't even make it that far. On the other hand I believe the Turbines are dynamic, so they may not have this problem. But BAs have other virtues that dynamic drivers won't match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back