is it worth upgrading to the D7000?
Jul 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

meyner

100+ Head-Fier
Well this subject has been a personal struggle for me for a while now. Currently I am using D2000 with recabled mogami and i personally bought D7000 cups and modded my phones myself and franakly speaking i love it (but will be sold in the near future or given away to my parents). I have not listened to the D5000 but i have lived assuming my phones sound like it. Afterall if you change the cables and the cups wats the difference? (although i may be wrong) But i have always been haunted by the existance of D7000. Is it worth it? I understand it is personal preference and i hear all the time about this refinement and how the bass is not loose but controlled. Frankly i can understand since i love my modded D2000 but it has that very loose over the top bass on various occassions. But i have a hard time finding it to be worth it. When i say "worth it" it super subjective but to me worth it merely means for the price i pay it is competitive to its other near by competitors. (D7000 = around $750 in my books for today's market price) If i throughly enjoyed my modded D2000 and i found my HE-500 to be better (not too much suprised i hope) is there still a good reason to upgrade to the D7000? To me, owning another phone is well worth it is it can stand on equal grounds with its competitors while bringing out its own unique style 

I heard arguments for TH600 instead since it is more refined. But personally i enjoy more colored phones and it is my belief that the D7000 is more "fun" than TH600 even though the TH600 may be more refined. But who knows i may be misguided.

Any thoughts or ideas regarding this would be greatly appreciated. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 2
You are right in assuming your modded D2000s should sound similar to the D5000s since they both share the same driver. The D7000 has a different driver and therefore is supposedly different. I have also heard that the D7000 has a more controlled bass. I only heard the D7000 briefly with J$ pads so I really can't comment on it. I would check two places:

If you haven't read MLE's review on the D7000 I would. He does a great job describing its sound even if it is a review for its performance on video games:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed

Second, if you haven't watched Tyl of Inner Fidelity's review of the D2000, D5000, and D7000 he does a great job comparing and contrasting the three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG6tfCCZgGc

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back