Is my ATH-M50 defective?
Jun 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sherrybearlove

New Head-Fier
I can confirm that they're not fake.  I opened em up and the drivers look exactly like the real ones should. It feels pretty real too. However, there is practically no bass! Or at least, the bass is the complete opposite of what I expected. I dunno, it's very subtle to say the least. I've read tons of reviews on these headphones, some people even think the bass is TOO much. Mine has the complete opposite effect. Even when listening to daft punk, the bass isn't really there unless I turn up the volume AND change the EQ settings to bass booster. Help?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Well what headphones did you have before? and what are you used to?

I found M50's fairly bassy.. but that wasn't my problem with it.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Stock apple earbuds and those $10 gumy ones haha. I was definitely not exposed to bass beforehand, that's for sure. And I've had them for like a year now so it should definitely be burnt in by now.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I can confirm that they're not fake.  I opened em up and the drivers look exactly like the real ones should. It feels pretty real too. However, there is practically no bass! Or at least, the bass is the complete opposite of what I expected. I dunno, it's very subtle to say the least. I've read tons of reviews on these headphones, some people even think the bass is TOO much. Mine has the complete opposite effect. Even when listening to daft punk, the bass isn't really there unless I turn up the volume AND change the EQ settings to bass booster. Help?

I've listened to ATH-M50s, they are normally bassy headphones.
Where did you order the ATH-M50s from?
What source(s) are you plugging the headphones into?

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 9
I ordered them from a reputable ebay seller (proaudiomart) who basically ONLY sells headphones. 98% of the thousands of reviews that he has received were overwhelming positive. It even came in the original packaging! And I'm plugging them into my laptop/ipod. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I ordered them from a reputable ebay seller (proaudiomart) who basically ONLY sells headphones. 98% of the thousands of reviews that he has received were overwhelming positive. It even came in the original packaging! And I'm plugging them into my laptop/ipod. 

Sounds like defective headphones.

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 9
Is there anything that can be done for them? There's a pretty popular headphone repair shop in my city (Jay's headphone repair) and I'm thinking about sending them in. If it's not worth it/ not possible, then I guess I'll either stick with these or end up buying a new pair. 

Jun 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 9
I agree. sounds defective, see if you can return them and get a new pair.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Yes go contact the seller and send it back, or something happened to the diaphragm because of the shipping then you should ask thos headphone repair guys for professional analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back