Is On Ear market dying ?
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KT66

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking through this section of Head Fi it strikes me that On Ears get very little mention, it doesn't help that some On Ear related posts go to Headphones - "Full Size". At present the forum seems only about IEMs.

As I look around here for something new it struck me how few new models have come out recently.
EG Beyer, the T51p is a T50P/DT1350 revamp, and no actual new models for 3 or more years

Audio Technica seem to have forgotten the West, Sennheiser have only released 1, the Momentum.
Only VModa and B&W seem to be bring something new to the market.

So why the big gap in product releases? I can only put that down to poor sales. ??

The rest of Head Fi hardware seems to change on a weekly basis, On Ears seem to have stagnated.

Or they hiding somewhere I haven't looked?

To any mods , can On Ears have their own sub section please ?

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 17
Its no longer popular.  Hi-Fi stores and record stores have all closed down and been replaced with home theater stuff.  It''s all about portability and on-the-go listening and downloads.

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 17
Aren't On Ear Portables portable?

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 17
I give up, time to find new forum.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 17
Grado released the e-series and I thought that there had been a bunch of other makers that have released on-ear headphones last year. I reckon if wearing fold-flat around-ear headphones becomes the norm I can see how the number of on-ear headphones released might go down.

As for adding forums that's not a straight-forward decision, but the forum organisation is definitely something we're thinking about.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 17
I think the smaller form factor and convenience of carrying an IEM literally in your pocket has taken its toll over on-ear headphones. in many cases they offer superior isolation, they're easily "more portable" and can be handled/stored quickly on the go. I still see some people out and about with on-ear but I'm sure you'll probably guess they're 80% beats branded. Maybe companies are giving in to the beats hype currently and focusing on other areas.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 17
Plenty of beats around, I own the new Shure(they have closed and open on-ears now), ON1, Mikros 90 was popular, AT UN1 is a new one, Denon has new on-ears, JVC, Panasonic, Pioneer, Yamaha, Koss SP, etc. etc. Head-fi is in-ear dominant but there are more on-ear choices than ever. The in-ear market has blown up most of all but actually every portable form factor has increased. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 17
I've always thought that on-ears were a compromise in-between full-size headphones and IEMs - offering neither the distinct portability of an IEM, nor a full sound of an over-ear. Besides, some on-ears are pretty big. If I'm going to lug around an on-ear in my bag, I might as well get a full-size headphone. And, if I want convenience, I'd get IEMs instead - I won't need a bag for that.

Anyway, the only on-ears I see used around (when on the go) are Beats models (mostly Solos), some Audio-Technica and Sonys. Once in a while, you'd get a model from another brand. For the most part, though, everyone's using IEMs.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 17
Jan 5, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 17
In one aspect on-ears have an advantage over circumaural designs in that they are not as subject to the inner pad-to-baffle-space resonance problems that larger around ears can possibly have.
AKG way back in their original K141 documentation spoke to this I believe specifically.
Even down the their exact clamping force being accounted for.
No inner earside cavity ( or less of one ) equals less problems that can arise in there.

I like them anyhow.
No real preference for me between on and around, but if clamping force is not extreme I will take an on ear out for a stroll it's easier, they are generally smaller and more lightweight. Also if it decides to rain or sprinkle i can throw a hood over them a heck of a lot easier.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 17
Aren't On Ear Portables portable?

Many consider portable to mean that both the player and the earphones fit in a shirt pocket.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 17
It's understandable. High end iem sounds better than on-ear yet and offer better isolation and portability. 
If one is going to wear headphones, why not just go full size since it's going to worn on the head.
To me, on- ear are just for people who want to make a statement in public yet remain relatively discreet if I'm making any sense. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back