Is selling my iPod touch 4g for an iPod Classic (6g or 7g) worth it?
Jun 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jomarr

New Head-Fier
The reason why I'm selling my touch is because I'm thinking of getting a smartphone now since I'm working now and need the convenience in my pocket (and yes, also 3G and internet all the time). I'm planning on getting the SGS3 or the HTC One X (yes please do tell me what you prefer) :D

Anyways, I'm just worried about the sound quality of the classic. Is it superior to the iPod Touch 4G, Same or inferior? I also need the space since I'm ripping some old cds of my cousin. Is it worth selling the touch for a classic or should I stay? I really just want to know how it stands with the Touch 4g in terms of sound quality. Thank you guys!

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 8
The sq on the touch is pretty much equal to the classic. The volume is greater on the classic though,... I own both, and I'm using the touch with the EQu app exclusively.

The sq is better on the touch with one of the eq apps that you could download. If you decide to not use another app then the sq of the classic is just fine. Or if you Rockbox the classic the sq is equal to any other player or app available. Rockbox is the great equalizer.

If you want to be Rockbox free I'd say stay with the touch,...get SonicMax Pro, EQu, Equalizer, or another eq app for the classic. The sq you'll get is excellent!

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
The sq on the touch is pretty much equal to the classic. The volume is greater on the classic though,... I own both, and I'm using the touch with the EQu app exclusively.
The sq is better on the touch with one of the eq apps that you could download. If you decide to not use another app then the sq of the classic is just fine. Or if you Rockbox the classic the sq is equal to any other player or app available. Rockbox is the great equalizer.
If you want to be Rockbox free I'd say stay with the touch,...get SonicMax Pro, EQu, Equalizer, or another eq app for the classic. The sq you'll get is excellent!

What exactly do you mean when you say that the EQ apps give you a better SQ? If these are just normal EQ apps you're talking about, then it doesn't really improve the SQ. It accentuates certain frequencies to the liking of the listener or implements certain algorithms which work to a certain extent (BBE).
A lot of people like to listen to a flat EQ, maybe the OP does too, in which case a EQ app is useless.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 8
What exactly do you mean when you say that the EQ apps give you a better SQ? If these are just normal EQ apps you're talking about, then it doesn't really improve the SQ. It accentuates certain frequencies to the liking of the listener or implements certain algorithms which work to a certain extent (BBE).
A lot of people like to listen to a flat EQ, maybe the OP does too, in which case a EQ app is useless.

Wow, thanks for explaining what the apps and an equalizer (including what BBE is) do, I didn't realize I was so uneducated. And yes, they do improve the "perceived" sq. And FYI, everyone has different tastes when it comes to using an equalizer. I use the eq, and quite a few of us here on head-fi do.

Look for the eq apps thread for the touch,...and enjoy.

Remember, you're not sure what the OP desires, so don't think your opinion or preferences are the only ones that matter. I gave my opinion and options for the OP to try,... I'd hope you would do the same.

Jun 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Wow, thanks for explaining what the apps and an equalizer (including what BBE is) do, I didn't realize I was so uneducated. And yes, they do improve the "perceived" sq. And FYI, everyone has different tastes when it comes to using an equalizer. I use the eq, and quite a few of us here on head-fi do.
Look for the eq apps thread for the touch,...and enjoy.
Remember, you're not sure what the OP desires, so don't think your opinion or preferences are the only ones that matter. I gave my opinion and options for the OP to try,... I'd hope you would do the same.

I know you know what an EQ is. But maybe the OP doesn't know exactly what you mean by that. Imo it's kind of misleading if you say an EQ app will improve the SQ even if you're talking about "perceived" SQ, since it's not necessarily the case. Just making sure the "junior head-fi'er" knows that.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 8
I know you know what an EQ is. But maybe the OP doesn't know exactly what you mean by that. Imo it's kind of misleading if you say an EQ app will improve the SQ even if you're talking about "perceived" SQ, since it's not necessarily the case. Just making sure the "junior head-fi'er" knows that.

You, sir or madam, make me want a cookie. I shall go and eat one now,... :wink:

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 8
I didn't know I had that kind of effect on people. I guess it's a good thing, as long as you don't eat too many...
popcorn.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Oh guys. I'm sorry.

Well for the update, I'm using the standard EQ of the iPod touch. I barely have apps and I really don't use my touch as a game console or whatever. I just put music and listen to it. I'm not really that big of an audiophile to make EQ adjustments. I just enjoy music but I did try out the app, nywy and its amazing that we can set the settings through our own liking. But I think I prefer the standard preset of the touch right now but I will be playing with the EQ a lot.

I'm thinking of selling my touch to get a classic since my library is really getting bigger and I'm really scared that 64 GB is not enough.

Thank you guys for the replies but there's one last concern about the classic.. It's the hard drive.. I'm also scared of gettting one because it might get corrupted and instead of saving money (and getting more space) I get nothing. Is the hard drive really an issue? I'm take care of my gadgets really good but I don't like to have random Hard drive crashes. lol thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back