Is Sony MDR-Z7 really that bad?
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

cpetrillo

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for full size, closed headphones to use with my new Sony NW-WM1a. I like the look and build quality of Sony's MDR-Z7 but have read and watched some not very flattering reviews. I don't want to spend that much on something I won't like so I'm looking for more opinions from people who have heard them. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 27
I'm looking for full size, closed headphones to use with my new Sony NW-WM1a. I like the look and build quality of Sony's MDR-Z7 but have read and watched some not very flattering reviews. I don't want to spend that much on something I won't like so I'm looking for more opinions from people who have heard them. I'm also open to other suggestions.

The best thing to do is to go to a store with some music you like and try them, preferably in an audition room. It's the only way to decide for sure if you like a pair of headphones or not. I would never buy a product without having heard it first.

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 27
The best thing to do is to go to a store with some music you like and try them, preferably in an audition room. It's the only way to decide for sure if you like a pair of headphones or not. I would never buy a product without having heard it first.
I don't know of any store in my area that would have these to audition.

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 27
Some people love then some do not, have you read the Z7 thread ? I have a pair of Z7's and about 6 other pairs to compare then to. I think they are great with jazz, they are warm and smooth. Bass can be a little bloated on some music, the tape mode inside the cups and I use them in balanced mode which helps . I also think they have a nice sound stage for a closed headphone. My thoughts are the are a little over priced at $699. However Amazon has the for $499, getting better and if you can pick up a used pair for around $300 that is a great price. I bought mine for $300 for a open box and have no regrets.
Also they are very well made and very comfortable !

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 27
This may be me, but I’ve never understood why folks typically seem to like one sound signature and not another, or others. I like many different headphones and enjoy all pretty much equally, I love my Z7 and I have over 25 other cans that I have to listen to and enjoy, but NOT compare as such.
My profile has not been updated to reflect this!
I love my HD700, my T1 2nd gen, my EL 8, my T90 and others. For me it’s not about which can for which genre but which I feel in the mood to listen to. And when I feel in the mood for the Z7 it is a blast, and the comfort is as good as any.
Have a look on eBay; I got a used unit for £250 in perfect condition. If you get one for a good price and don’t like it I’m sure you could get the same back or perhaps more.
I’ve never understood the hate for the T90 and HD700!
Be well.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #6 of 27
MaceHane2, I'm (generally) with you on this. I've got a bunch of different headphones (not including the
many I've had over the years and sold, gifted, whatever) - and I like them all. For the way they sound,
and also for different reasons - like today, shopping, I wore my PortaPro (new in black, very cool IMO).
I was pretty amazed, I thought they sounded great! Better than I expected, and I've heard them so many
times before.

But I must say I do have some favorites, that sound better (to me, anyway) than anything else I have
with just about any type of music.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 27
MaceHane2, I'm (generally) with you on this. I've got a bunch of different headphones (not including the
many I've had over the years and sold, gifted, whatever) - and I like them all. For the way they sound,
and also for different reasons - like today, shopping, I wore my PortaPro (new in black, very cool IMO).
I was pretty amazed, I thought they sounded great! Better than I expected, and I've heard them so many
times before.

But I must say I do have some favorites, that sound better (to me, anyway) than anything else I have
with just about any type of music.

Hi. Yeah I’ve got favourites too of course! My T1 2nd, HiFiMan HE-6, my HD800s .... but I have to say that even though I can appreciate their quality over say my Focal Spirit Professional (which has astounding sound quality for the money) or others, I do seem to enjoy any of them just as much.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Well I ordered a pair that I can return if I don't like them. I also ordered the completely different Senn HD660s. Will keep the one of them and try something different next time.

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 27
Well I ordered a pair that I can return if I don't like them. I also ordered the completely different Senn HD660s. Will keep the one of them and try something different next time.

Interesting - they're quite different from each other, as you already know.
When I was deciding between those two, - well, I still have the Z7's, and no longer have the 660s's.
So in terms of actions speaking louder than words...

I like(d) both - each, I think, is more suited for different types of music and different types of
recordings.

Please share your thoughts here when you've decided.

Cheers,

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 27
I think z7 is good. If you get into used market, 300-400 z7 is your perfect match, Fostex x00 is not closed, and Sony’s build quatlity is top-notch, a lot of people mod it which means they still love it, but just want to improve it.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 27
It is based on what kind of music you always listen to. Z7 doesn't have a good performance when plays back classical music and old time rock.
I'm wondering what sort of "old time rock" doesn't sound as good as it should on the Z7's?
Elvis and the Sun Studios stuff from the 50's?
Beatles, British Invasion bands, and psychedelia from the mid to late 60's?
"Heavy Metal" and its relatives" - mostly UK bands (again) > Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc?
Maybe the 80's at this point also count as "old time rock", but I'm not there yet.
And even if it does, it was mostly synth-driven pop (Human League and that whole bunch - UK bands (again).

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
Because while I know that the Z7's have weaknesses,
I think that 70's style rock can sound very good on them.

As for classical, so few headphones do a good job with classical, frankly. And then there are so many genres...Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque - which, I think, generally call for a light touch and preferably an open back
headphone.
Then moving into the Classical period, the Romantic Period (some divide that into two parts), and on and on.
You have the massive orchestrations of Mahler, Bruckner, Beethoven and others.
In my view, no headphone at all can do those full justice. In fact, very few speakers
can do so.
And 20th century, or Modern Classical, presents an entirely different set of challenges
for headphones and, in fact, the entire chain of reproduction. This genre itself contains
several subgenres, and it seems new ones are appearing almost daily.
With the introduction of electronics into classical (Cage and others), along with
additional new instrumentation, intense dynamics, and nearly frightening
dissonance at times, most headphones and their amps simply "aren't there".

Still, though, there is much - even too much - available for listening on headphones
or whatever in the classical canon.

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 27
Classical and Jazz generally sounds better with open back headphones, though the Z7 has a surprisingly "open" sound for a closed back design, the AKG Q701 for instance is better suited for those genres IMO, but the Z 7 would be better choice for virtually most other genres.It's a very good everyday can no doubt.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 27
I'm wondering what sort of "old time rock" doesn't sound as good as it should on the Z7's?
Elvis and the Sun Studios stuff from the 50's?
Beatles, British Invasion bands, and psychedelia from the mid to late 60's?
"Heavy Metal" and its relatives" - mostly UK bands (again) > Zeppelin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc?
Maybe the 80's at this point also count as "old time rock", but I'm not there yet.
And even if it does, it was mostly synth-driven pop (Human League and that whole bunch - UK bands (again).

I'm interested in your thoughts on this.
Because while I know that the Z7's have weaknesses,
I think that 70's style rock can sound very good on them.

As for classical, so few headphones do a good job with classical, frankly. And then there are so many genres...Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque - which, I think, generally call for a light touch and preferably an open back
headphone.
Then moving into the Classical period, the Romantic Period (some divide that into two parts), and on and on.
You have the massive orchestrations of Mahler, Bruckner, Beethoven and others.
In my view, no headphone at all can do those full justice. In fact, very few speakers
can do so.
And 20th century, or Modern Classical, presents an entirely different set of challenges
for headphones and, in fact, the entire chain of reproduction. This genre itself contains
several subgenres, and it seems new ones are appearing almost daily.
With the introduction of electronics into classical (Cage and others), along with
additional new instrumentation, intense dynamics, and nearly frightening
dissonance at times, most headphones and their amps simply "aren't there".

Still, though, there is much - even too much - available for listening on headphones
or whatever in the classical canon.

we choose the different headphones of reference, so we make different conclusions.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 27
I like mine a lot but i do like my Hd650 and SR325’s more and they are cheaper. One thing that sold me is it came with a balanced cable that fit the Pono so I factored and extra $100 into buying another model I was looking at. They get used about 20% of the time, seem to be driven easier then the HD 650, and do sound great out of the Pono, but what doesn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back