Is the Beyerdynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier worth the $750 price tag, today?
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

HiFiGuy528

Member of the Trade: Woo Audio
The headphones amp market has a lot of options today.  Is the now long in the tooth Beyer A1 still worth the high price tag?  I am seeking a neutral, dynamic sound for all types of cans.  I do own the T1 & HD800.  Your thoughts?

[size=medium]  [/size]

Sep 1, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 20
Yo,

I haven't personally heard the A1 but from what I have gathered is that it is best with the 250Ohm/600Ohm beyers, but not much else. It has a huge output impedance, which is similar to an OTL design. I've also read that it has a warm signature with an emphasis on bass.

If you want neutral and are going to pair it with many different headphones, the Violectric V100 is a good option. It's not completely neutral but it more neutral than others out there and can drive most headphones very well.

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 20
Hi,

Aphrodite Cu29 has them and they are right around $800 from what I remember. He might try to push the V200 on you because it's a better amp, but not neutral like you seek. The V200 is pretty warm in comparison to the V100.

Also he stocks the V181 which is the balanced version of the V100, so that too is an option. Not sure if you want a fully balanced amp though.

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Looks impressive specs wise. Who sells it in the US?

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
The headphones amp market has a lot of options today.  Is the now long in the tooth Beyer A1 still worth the high price tag?  I am seeking a neutral, dynamic sound for all types of cans.  I do own the T1 & HD800.  Your thoughts?

[size=medium]  [/size]

You may want to try the Burson Soloist. I am very impressed with the burson and like it much better than the V200 I owned and sold. This amp is going to be a huge success for Burson

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 20
You may want to try the Burson Soloist. I am very impressed with the burson and like it much better than the V200 I owned and sold. This amp is going to be a huge success for Burson

I had the HA160D for a few weeks and lost the love for the sound after a week. Is the Soloist different in sound signature?

Sep 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
I had the HA160D for a few weeks and lost the love for the sound after a week. Is the Soloist different in sound signature?

AV Guide reviewed it and six moons and said it is much different than the ha150D. I never hear that. This one has three setting and three inputs is a preamp and is 4W into 16 ohms. I think its going to be a huge success for Burson. I would say its balanced and neutral with transparency and dead black. I am very impressed and I am a tube guy. Its the best solid state head amp I have heard to date,

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Hi,

From what I've read is that it sounds very similar to the HA160, but blacker and more powerful. This sounds good to me as I felt the HD160 didn't have enough juice at times. I'll see if Burson could send me one to try out. Hopefully they can.

Quote:
AV Guide reviewed it and six moons and said it is much different than the ha150D. I never hear that. This one has three setting and three inputs is a preamp and is 4W into 16 ohms. I think its going to be a huge success for Burson. I would say its balanced and neutral with transparency and dead black. I am very impressed and I am a tube guy. Its the best solid state head amp I have heard to date,

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 20
So I've been using the A1 for a little over a week now. I was initial not too impressed until I compared it to my Musical Fidelity M1 HPA. Given that the M1 is half the cost of the A1's retail, but the A1 is much higher resolution than the M1. The clean, non-fatiguing, dynamic sound of the A1 really makes it a wonderful reference level amp. It is on par with my Lehmann Audio BLC that's $1299 in sound dynamics. I can say I would recommend the A1 for anyone seeking high-fideltiy sound.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 20
I've owned an A1 for some time now and I love it. The only cans it seems to have a problem with are HiFiMan He-500's. On the A1 I've powered Grado Ps-1000's, Beyer 770, 880, and 990's (the latter 2 at 600 ohms and the 770's 250 ohms, Senheisser Hd-800's, AT M50's and Denon 5000's. All except the He-500's are excellent. Mind you ... this is the only amp I've ever owned so I cannot make a comparison other than with the jack from my receiver but I love the sound. I have on order a Woo WA6se which will be here in about 3 weeks. I'm anxious to compare the 2 amps.
 I have seen very little in the forums about the A1. It's too bad. It's a simple and very competent amp with a clean and detailed sound signature. It runs every can I own except the ortho he-500 with ease.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 20
Hi,

I found the A1 to be a good amp, but at a certain price. I think $600 is the price I would value it at. It simply does not work well with low impedance headphones and the 100Ohm output seems to color the sound in a way that I dislike. We all have our own preferences but IMO the A1 is below that of the BCL, and then the BCL is overpriced.

Quote:
So I've been using the A1 for a little over a week now. I was initial not too impressed until I compared it to my Musical Fidelity M1 HPA. Given that the M1 is half the cost of the A1's retail, but the A1 is much higher resolution than the M1. The clean, non-fatiguing, dynamic sound of the A1 really makes it a wonderful reference level amp. It is on par with my Lehmann Audio BLC that's $1299 in sound dynamics. I can say I would recommend the A1 for anyone seeking high-fideltiy sound.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 20
Hey,

Now that new Cary amp looks nice, but will it blend? In all honesty it looks really good so hopefully it's not all looks.

Quote:
I still have to do some test with HD800.  The T1 does pair very well with the A1.  I have the Cary coming next week so it should be fun.

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I've owned an A1 for some time now and I love it. The only cans it seems to have a problem with are HiFiMan He-500's. On the A1 I've powered Grado Ps-1000's, Beyer 770, 880, and 990's (the latter 2 at 600 ohms and the 770's 250 ohms, Senheisser Hd-800's, AT M50's and Denon 5000's. All except the He-500's are excellent. Mind you ... this is the only amp I've ever owned so I cannot make a comparison other than with the jack from my receiver but I love the sound. I have on order a Woo WA6se which will be here in about 3 weeks. I'm anxious to compare the 2 amps.
 I have seen very little in the forums about the A1. It's too bad. It's a simple and very competent amp with a clean and detailed sound signature. It runs every can I own except the ortho he-500 with ease.

This is strange because for me A1 powered He-500 very very good. Actually im thinking about geting A1 for my HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back