Is the Chord Hugo 2 the best small amp/dac for headphones in the universe right now?
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Gigi86

New Head-Fier
Right now i'm using a Fostex HPA4-BL with my HD800S trough balanced 4 pin and i'm very happy with it, is small and have really good build quality and sound as far as i understand, i can switch between my PC and PS4 while at the same time switching to my 2.1 setup to my headphones; but i want to try something different or better, i don't want something huge tho, is the Hugo 2 the best that comes in that form factor?

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 18
Well, it's certainly hard to beat for it's size, mainly because it's capable of driving nearly any headphone. At all the shows I've been, Audeze uses the Hugo 2 to demo it's gear and it drives the LCD 3 and LCD4 with ease. I've also listened to it with Senn 650s, Mr Speaker Aeon Flow and Focal Elears. It comes at a fairly steep price though. The Mojo is more compact but not in the league of the Hugo 2, not even close IMHO.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 18
Hugo 2 is probably the undisputed best sounding transportable DAC/amp for now. It sounds subjectively even better than other TOTL desktop DACs such as Schiit Yggdrasil A2, Holo Audio Spring Lvl 3, Denafrips Terminator, etc. Mojo for its price IMO is underperforming when used as a DAC/amp, but it shows its worth its asking price as DAC in 3V line out mode.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Hugo 2 is probably the undisputed best sounding transportable DAC/amp for now. It sounds subjectively even better than other TOTL desktop DACs such as Schiit Yggdrasil A2, Holo Audio Spring Lvl 3, Denafrips Terminator, etc. Mojo for its price IMO is underperforming when used as a DAC/amp, but it shows its worth its asking price as DAC in 3V line out mode.
Better than WA8 Eclipes Tube Amp?

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 18
TT2 all the way. or even TT used. I have owned simultaneously HpA8, hugo, TT and tested ch2.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 18

Do you think the Hugo 2 benefits from additional amplification? Or can it be used as a standalone, connected to a phone or PC? I plan to use it with IEMs such as Westone UM30's, Sennheiser IE800's, and over ears such as Focal Clears and Sennheiser 6XX.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 18
Do you think the Hugo 2 benefits from additional amplification? Or can it be used as a standalone, connected to a phone or PC? I plan to use it with IEMs such as Westone UM30's, Sennheiser IE800's, and over ears such as Focal Clears and Sennheiser 6XX.

Those are easy to drive headphones and IEMs so you won’t need an amp to make them sound great out of Hugo 2. Unless you’re looking for a different sound signature (i.e. to make the treble less forward or more mid-range bloom), that’s when you pair it with an amp

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 18
I'm confident that it is. It's hard to believe how good the Hugo 2 is at everything. And on top of that, it is by far the best DAC I've heard at any size.

TT2 all the way. or even TT used. I have owned simultaneously HpA8, hugo, TT and tested ch2.

Those aren't really portable due to their size, and the TT 2 doesn't use batteries at all unlike the TT.

With IEMs, absolutely not. Putting an amp in front of it will only color the sound and reduce transparency. Focal Clear is pretty efficient, doesn't really need a dedicated amp. The Sennheiser HD 6XX I find is extremely boring out of the Hugo 2... that headphone really needs to be mated with tubes I think, but that's just me.

Very power hungry headphones however will benefit from high end, especially balanced amplification.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 18
Yet, it’s not any size that you are comparing then, if it’s portable only then sure, I’ll give the chord Pom poms a twirl. But ch2 has competition big time in desktop segment. The tt2 super cap utilization is really not a debatable factor.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 18
There is no burn in

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 18
IMG_20181015_174755.jpg
Demo'd the Hugo 2 extensively. Source was DX200, USB C to Hugo 2, using the LAB1. Not for me. Everything was muddy as if it sounded like there was a something holding back the music (like a sheet, or many pieces of paper). Tried various music from Jazz, EDM, Blues. Not for me, dunno maybe the chain was wrong or it didnt play well with the LAB1. Playing the LAB1 direct from the DX200 (with AMP5) was better. ALOT better

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 18
Muddy Hugo 2? Well a filter is applied in that photo, which does make it muddier. Hugo 2 without filters is the complete opposite of muddy however, it's a transparency and detail monster.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 18
Owh darn, i missed that opportunity. Was in Japan, and the guys there unfortunately couldn't explain everything to me as they dont speak English. Must get a second demo in. Im sure its great, cos alot of people said so. That is what surprised me, albeit with filter on. IMHO, it sounded bad...and I mean real bad. Btw, what filter was the Hugo2 on when I demoed it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back