Is the HD 650 for me?
Jul 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
I generally listen to rock music like green day and I want a headphone which makes guitar, drums, and vocals more "alive" and present. I currently own an audio technica ath-m50 and a sennheiser IE60 (IEM) and so I decided to test both of them on the rock genre. I tested my IE60 first and played "holiday" by green day. The guitar sounded excellent, the drums were present and great, and the vocals were loud and clear, it made me feel like I was in a concert. I then used my audio technica and played the same song and was a bit disapointed. The guitar didn't play as well as the IE60 and I could barely hear the drums. The instruments overall didn't sound alive and give me that "awwww yeah" feeling as my IE60s did. The vocals sounded a lot worse and laid back even when I switched the volume up. Overall, it didn't sound as clear and exciting as the IE60 did, it didn't me the same feeling. Do you thionk the HD 650 would fit my taste for music?

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 80
The HD 650 does a great many things well, but no, I don't think it's what you're looking for. "Alive" is not a word I would use to describe them. :xf_eek:

I would look at the Grado SR-225 or RS-2, or one of the Ultrasone PROline models (like the PRO2900, although I'm told the PRO750 is nearly as good) if you want more bass (A LOT more bass, like silly amounts of bass).

If you want a less "weird" headphone (e.g. you like a more analytical/dry sound with your "alive"), Sony MDR-SA5000 or perhaps Beyerdynamic T70.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 80
Also would say,that Grado is what you are looking for.
HD 650 are great but maybe too relaxed for rock(forward sounding rock).

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 80
Quote:
The HD 650 does a great many things well, but no, I don't think it's what you're looking for. "Alive" is not a word I would use to describe them.
redface.gif

I would look at the Grado SR-225 or RS-2, or one of the Ultrasone PROline models (like the PRO2900, although I'm told the PRO750 is nearly as good) if you want more bass (A LOT more bass, like silly amounts of bass).
If you want a less "weird" headphone (e.g. you like a more analytical/dry sound with your "alive"), Sony MDR-SA5000 or perhaps Beyerdynamic T70.

Is the HD 600 as calm as the HD 650? Also, my budget is around 400 dollars (amazon was selling the HD 650 for 423) so is there a good grado model around 400? Any other brands are welcome too

Jul 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 80
actually I just went over the grado site and found the Grado sr325i. Do you think its good for me or is there a better headphone in the 400 dollar price range (the sr325i cost 300)

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 80
An RS1 or HF2 might be your speed. I had the HF2s for a while and with rock really liked them through my Valhalla and my solid state amp, but sadly I was starting to get sick of terrible rock recordings and I found the Grado sound not quite as versatile as I needed. I love rock, but I am so sick of garbage recordings. I would like to shoot the idiot who came up with brick wall limiting, or at least how it is used now. So much good music turned into a wall of conflicting peaks with no dynamics. Done my rant.

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 80
Quote:
I generally listen to rock music like green day and I want a headphone which makes guitar, drums, and vocals more "alive" and present. I currently own an audio technica ath-m50 and a sennheiser IE60 (IEM) and so I decided to test both of them on the rock genre. I tested my IE60 first and played "holiday" by green day. The guitar sounded excellent, the drums were present and great, and the vocals were loud and clear, it made me feel like I was in a concert. I then used my audio technica and played the same song and was a bit disapointed. The guitar didn't play as well as the IE60 and I could barely hear the drums. The instruments overall didn't sound alive and give me that "awwww yeah" feeling as my IE60s did. The vocals sounded a lot worse and laid back even when I switched the volume up. Overall, it didn't sound as clear and exciting as the IE60 did, it didn't me the same feeling. Do you thionk the HD 650 would fit my taste for music?

No.  It is most definitely not for you if you want energetic engagement with fast-ish music.  It does so many things well, but it doesn't do this.  Can you save a couple hundred more for some orthostatics?

Jul 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 80
SRH-1440 would be my recommendation. More energetic than the HD600/650 and not as energetic as the Grado's. Coming from the IE60 I think you will find the 1440 is closer to that signature than a Grado. But if you want a lot of energy and don't plan on using the headphone for other genres, Grado does have an impressive sound for that genre.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 80
Is the HD 600 as calm as the HD 650? Also, my budget is around 400 dollars (amazon was selling the HD 650 for 423) so is there a good grado model around 400? Any other brands are welcome too

The SR-225 would be my pick then, and just pocket the difference. The SR-325 are technically an improvement, and within your budget, but I'm not a fan of them (I like the 225 better; there are people who disagree with me, and if you're one of them, that's okay) - they do LOOK the part though. Either of them would really be suitable. Or the RS-2 ($495). Or used.

There's also the HFI-2400 (Ultrasone) that will be a bit smoother and bassier, those are $200-$300.

An RS1 or HF2 might be your speed. I had the HF2s for a while and with rock really liked them through my Valhalla and my solid state amp, but sadly I was starting to get sick of terrible rock recordings and I found the Grado sound not quite as versatile as I needed. I love rock, but I am so sick of garbage recordings. I would like to shoot the idiot who came up with brick wall limiting, or at least how it is used now. So much good music turned into a wall of conflicting peaks with no dynamics. Done my rant.

I agree with this rant. I'll also add that the RS and GS series at least (I would argue the 225 as well) are not one-trick ponies - they do ALL music very well. But yeah, garbage in, garbage out. Such is life.

No.  It is most definitely not for you if you want energetic engagement with fast-ish music.  It does so many things well, but it doesn't do this.  Can you save a couple hundred more for some orthostatics?

What is an "orthostatic" ???

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #14 of 80
Quote:
What is an "orthostatic" ???

You got me!  'Orthostatic' is a short term we use in Nursing/Medical to mean 'Orthostatic BPs' which really just means that we check your blood pressure and heart rate while lying, sitting, and standing to see if there's a large swing up or down (usually down).

It has nothing to do with headphones, but sometimes when I think 'Orthodynamic', I will write 'Orthostatic'.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:
SRH-1440 would be my recommendation. More energetic than the HD600/650 and not as energetic as the Grado's. Coming from the IE60 I think you will find the 1440 is closer to that signature than a Grado. But if you want a lot of energy and don't plan on using the headphone for other genres, Grado does have an impressive sound for that genre.

Is the 1440 decent for party music? I listen to rock most of the time but I listen to party and techno music too. Also, The ultrasone seems to be pretty energetic but is it good for rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back