is the HD800(s) still the king of forward projected soundstage?
Feb 28, 2021 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
hi guys,

inspired by a similar thread in the portables section, i wonder if the Sennheiser hd800 and its different versions still are the last word when it comes to huge soundstage that is not only wide but tall and deep with superb separation and positioning.

i do not like those 3d holographic soundstages which put the musicians all around you and even behind. i am more into a somewhat speakerlike forward projected soundstage, sitting in one of the last rows of a stadium or concert hall.

talking iem the 64audio u8 does the job for me. closed fullsize cans do have hard times portraiting good soundstage cues. but from the ones i had, the beyer t5p mk2 is pretty good. maybe my z7 might have more depth and everything seems taller, but it is neither completely closed nor does the overall soundquality come even close to my beyers.

fullsize open cans, well i use them not that often so, i am still pretty OK with my oppo pm2, but it starts itching to get an hd800s. what would you recommend for soundstage only in the under 2k class?

Feb 28, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 4
HD800, with some PEQ help in the bass, hands down best forward and out of head projection I've heard (HD800S and HD8XX I guess too). Crazy layering too, as always, but the Focal Clear gets toe to toe with them in that regard, maybe even a step higher (not much of a forward, out of head, projection from the Focals tho).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Of in production headphones I'd say so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back