Is there a golden ratio to spend on a DAC + AMP? (To power bookshelf speakers)
Jan 20, 2011 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in a DAC + amp to power Paradigm Atom bookshelf speakers.  I was wondering if there is a good ratio on how much to spend on a DAC vs an amp.

I started playing around with combinations:

$130 Nuforce uDac2 + a $200 integrated amp like the Pioneer A-35R
$220 Maverick Audio D1 DAC + $120 Dayton Audio DTA-100a (Class-T Amplifier 50 WPC)
$240 EMU 0202 USB + $120 Dayton Audio DTA-100a (Class-T Amplifier 50 WPC)

As you can see, my budget is around $350, give or take $30.  I really need help choosing a good combination.  Thanks for any assistance!

The ideal setup will be the best bang/buck dac and amp to power these bookshelf speakers and my source will be a netbook.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 6
I cant totally help with all your questions, but have you considered the Nuforce Icon rather than a uDac+Amp

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know if there is a golden ratio per say but with your budget unless you buy used you will have fairly limited options.
The best combo I can think of would be the Sherwood RX-4105 receiver for $100 and the HRT Music Streamer 2 for $150.
It's $100 less than your budget but the next amp I would consider is already $375 which rules it out. 
The MS2 is in my opinion a cut above the ones you listed with improved soundstage and better resolution with being harsh.
The Sherwood receiver is not exactly desktop size but with its discrete amp stage and descent power rating, it will drive your speakers much better than budget T-amps and you'll get a radio too. I don't know the pioneer amp you listed so that might also be a good option.
The Paradigm Atoms are great and this rig should play very nice music.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 6
I was not able to find the HRT Music Streamer 2 in Canada at all, which is mildly disappointing.  =(  

The Icon seems nice, but I ran into the same problem again--not a single distributor in Canada.  

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Jan 20, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 6
The ratio is actually quite favourable in terms of building a budget rig, The problem is that said rig works on the assumption that the audiophile is going to buy a DAC/amp combination once every year or two, not once every month or two  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back