Is there a good way to remove the plastic mesh from the SR-80 cup? and secure the replacement?
Nov 8, 2010 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

morph2k4

100+ Head-Fier
I finally took the plunge and steamed my sr-80's open.  I found everything on the inside to be as I expected, except that I had a terrible time getting the plastic mesh off.  In the interest of not damaging the plastic cup, I tried to be careful.  The glue did not seem to melt, and I ended up prying the mesh off with plyers.  After removing everything visible from the outside, I still had a ring of the mes material around the edge that gets in the way of replacing it with metal.  I used needle nose plyers to remove as much of it as possible, but there is still a large amount of plastic in there that makes the replacement screen not fit so well.  Does anyone have any tips for getting this stuff out?  If I were to steam that plastic piece for awhile, is it possible the glue would melt and I could just remove everything?

I'm also wondering what people do for securing the new screen in place.  I cut out a piece of metal screen from the hardware store, but its extremely fragile.  I glued the outer edge to the inside of the ear cup, but picking the headphones up roughly caused that piece to separate and fall into the cup.  Do people typically use a sturdier screen material that fits the cup well enough to be held in place by the inner piece that fits into the cup?

In other news, I left one cup stock and modded one, so I'm gonna try to do some comparison testing tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back