Is there any differences between Beyerdynamic DT 880 - 32/250/600 ohms?
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Arin7

100+ Head-Fier
The title sums up my question but if sound vise there is any difference please explain to me, (of course I know above 32 I will be needing an amp to drive them) :) , and one other thing, after 15 days of reading and watching reviews I finally have bought Sennhiser HD 600, but I heard many good things about d880 too, I am loving my HD600, they are really awesome! amazing clarity, detail, very good mid range and love the bass they produce, but I wonder how dt880 sound, compared to hd600, I am kind of tempted to buy them too. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 14
DT880s are cooler/less mid-bassy than HD600 with much more sparkle in the treble. Soundstage is a little bit more expansive as well.
These are very different headphones. HD600 is more forgiving of less than perfect recordings, while DT880 is clearly more analytical.
HD800 is tuned very similar to DT880.

General consensus say avoid the 32 Ohm version.
250 and 600 Ohm versions are normally considered extremely similar.
Some people suggest that the 250 Ohm Pro version is just a tad more analytical (HD800-like) while the 600 Ohm is more musical (some would say refined).
Others say they can not tell them appart.

The thing is the 250 Ohm version is not that hard to drive (little bit harder than HD600) but the 600 Ohm version is significantly harder to drive so a relatively powerful amplifier (for the 600 Ohm) is a must for most applications.

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 14
DT880s are cooler/less mid-bassy than HD600 with much more sparkle in the treble. Soundstage is a little bit more expansive as well.
These are very different headphones. HD600 is more forgiving of less than perfect recordings, while DT880 is clearly more analytical.
HD800 is tuned very similar to DT880.

General consensus say avoid the 32 Ohm version.
250 and 600 Ohm versions are normally considered extremely similar.
Some people suggest that the 250 Ohm Pro version is just a tad more analytical (HD800-like) while the 600 Ohm is more musical (some would say refined).
Others say they can not tell them appart.

The thing is the 250 Ohm version is not that hard to drive (little bit harder than HD600) but the 600 Ohm version is significantly harder to drive so a relatively powerful amplifier (for the 600 Ohm) is a must for most applications.

Thank you, then I guess I'll buy dt 880 250 ohm too!

Jun 28, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 14
I've owned them all, 250ohm is the best all-rounder. It actually sounds decently good straight out of an iPhone 7, albeit it needs 75%+ of the volume slider to sound like anything. As for 250 vs 600, there is relatively little difference. Any actual sonic difference, in my personal opinion, is placebo or extremely magnified by whatever user may have purchased what.

As for HD600 vs DT880. I personally believe the DT880 is a much better sounding headphone but I'm clearly a beyer fan. With that said I've owned and loved a number of sennheiser headphones, the HD600 being my overall favorite. After listening to beyers for any length of time, you will find most Sennheisers to lack sparkle and sub bass. The beyer sound can be best described as having a lot of information both at the very top end and bottom end of the hearing range. It's a neat experience and one I personally enjoy while others loathe.

I'm curious to hear your impressions!

Mar 3, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 14
Hello dear friends. I own 2 Schiit Audio stacks: Asgard 2/Dac Bifrost and Modi 3+/Magni3+. So far I have only used Sennheiser HD600. Now I would like to buy a Beyerdinamic dt 880t: which version do you recommend with this hardware, 250ohm or 600 ohm? I'm afraid the 600 ohms are too hard to drive, and the sound may be bad. Thanks Frank

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Beyerdynamic’s DT880 series of headphones is certainly different from the Sennheiser HD580/600/650/660 line. The DT880 is further subdivided into the PRO and EDITION series as well as the 32/250/600Ω impedances. But while all headphone designs are absolutely unique, Beyerdynamic actually gave their home edition headphones the acute treble spikes associated with studio pro. headphones. The DT880s are all neutral/bright headphones. The higher up the impedance scale you go they tend to be more bright. So while this may be a useful trait in studios it is less desirable at home. These headphones are often recommended for classical and jazz, as the acute brightness is not so problematic. Rock and pop however are volume limited by the treble spikes which in turn reduces the bass amplification making them seem even more bright. You’ll notice it if an instrument lands at the frequency of one of the treble spikes. It will stick out in a metallic sheen. So in some ways the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 line is superior by virtue of its balance. Even if bass extension isn’t as good, bright recordings can still be enjoyed. It also has Sennheiser’s mid-range. Your amplification should drive even a 600Ω with 215mW at 600Ω easily. Some however argue even more amplification and it’s specifics are required to make the DT880 line sing due to its low sensitivity. That said once you’re acclimated to the DT880 it is a great headphone. This may take some time however. You can ease the treble by 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper over the drivers or EQ or an in-line filter. Unless you just love treble skewed headphones which are surprising popular.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Beyerdynamic’s DT880 series of headphones is certainly different from the Sennheiser HD580/600/650/660 line. The DT880 is further subdivided into the PRO and EDITION series as well as the 32/250/600Ω impedances. But while all headphone designs are absolutely unique, Beyerdynamic actually gave their home edition headphones the acute treble spikes associated with studio pro. headphones. The DT880s are all neutral/bright headphones. The higher up the impedance scale you go they tend to be more bright. So while this may be a useful trait in studios it is less desirable at home. These headphones are often recommended for classical and jazz, as the acute brightness is not so problematic. Rock and pop however are volume limited by the treble spikes which in turn reduces the bass amplification making them seem even more bright. You’ll notice it if an instrument lands at the frequency of one of the treble spikes. It will stick out in a metallic sheen. So in some ways the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 line is superior by virtue of its balance. Even if bass extension isn’t as good, bright recordings can still be enjoyed. It also has Sennheiser’s mid-range. Your amplification should drive even a 600Ω with 215mW at 600Ω easily. Some however argue even more amplification and it’s specifics are required to make the DT880 line sing due to its low sensitivity. That said once you’re acclimated to the DT880 it is a great headphone. This may take some time however. You can ease the treble by 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper over the drivers or EQ or an in-line filter. Unless you just love treble skewed headphones which are surprising popular.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 14
thanks Sefelt103 ,from what you explain, I understand that the 880 is perhaps more suitable for professional use in the studio, rather than home listening, at least with my amplification. In your opinion, since I listen to fusion, jazz, pop, progressive rock, is there any better alternative for 150 euros that has a pleasant sound but different from my sennheiser hd600? could i look at home hifiman, philips, akg or others? Thanks Frank

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 14
For 150 euros ? There's nothing that will give the Sennheiser HD600 a run for its money. Used a Hifiman Sundara, an early Sennheiser HD580 or new HD560S, maybe an new AKG K612 PRO although they might suffer from similar problems to the Beyerdynamic's DT880.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 14
ok, molto chiaro. Penso che risparmierò per un budget più alto, forse comprerò un auricolare di classe superiore.
qualche giorno fa ho acquistato, per uso portatile, un sennheiser hd569 23ohm con dongle amplificatore/dac Ifi go link. Ottimo rapporto qualità-prezzo. posso ascoltare musica decente dal mio smartphone o ipad. Per cuffie migliori ora cercherò di raggiungere un budget di almeno 500 o 600 euro. Grazie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back