Is there no flagship for "fun" headphones that has the 3D soundstaging of other summit headphones?
Jul 29, 2015 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Thenewguy007

Headphoneus Supremus
The HD800, T1,  Ether, K812 etc... all have the large 3D soundstage sound, but aren't not considered fun/musical headphones.
They are more neutral or analytical than anything else.

I searched around & can't seem to find high end musical headphones that also contain the large spacious stereo like sounds of those listed above.
Like I read the LCD2, Mrspeakers Alpha Dog & He-500 are fun higher end headphones, but can not compare to the soundstages of the above mentioned.

Does one exist?

Closest I read that has all that is the LCD3.

Jul 29, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 21
The Fostex TH-900 is a flagship considered to be fun, but I haven't heard it. However, to my ears, even the HD 800's soundstage was only slightly larger than other headphones.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 21
Use an EQ and dail in your "fun" sound.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 21
Use an EQ and dail in your "fun" sound.

lol I doubt EQ can fully reproduce settings from bass heavy headphone.

Seems from my research that the LCD2, HE-500, mrspeaker Alpha Dog & Fostex TH-900 are the top fun headphones on the market.

Out of those the reviews state that the soundstaging are inferior. I guess I can't have my cake & eat it too.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 21

Seems from my research that the LCD2, HE-500, mrspeaker Alpha Dog & Fostex TH-900 are the top fun headphones on the market.

Out of those the reviews state that the soundstaging are inferior. I guess I can't have my cake & eat it too.

Although EQ can only do so much, it can still make any headphone much more fun, given the right settings.

I think all this depends on how important subtle differences in soundstage are to you. To me, all headphones have a tiny soundstage, so it's not as big of an issue. The best solution is to simply buy both types, if you can wing it. (My philosophy is that it's a better idea to wait until you can easily afford two expensive headphones before buying one expensive headphone.)

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 21

I spent time with all of those and I think HE-1000 is it. Open and 3D like HD800 but with the Hifiman house sound.

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 21
I spent time with all of those and I think HE-1000 is it. Open and 3D like HD800 but with the Hifiman house sound.

I pretty much agree with this, since it did sound more three-dimensional, though for me, it wasn't fun in the "bouncy" sense, but instead somewhat lush, warm, and smooth. Kind of a cross between audiophile and fun, or whatever you want to call it. I thought my modded HE400i had a similar sound signature to the HE1000, whereas the HE-6 was more straightforward.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 21
It's like 3k. A stax set-up would cost you 8k-10k because if you're gonna go stax you need a good electrostatic headphone amp

I have two STAX systems and only spent a few hundred bucks.
cool.gif

The SR-009 is available here for a little over $2,700. Starter amps for it can be found used for as low as a little over $100. Up to the next level, the STAX SRM-323S amp is available here for a little over $500. The TOTL amps do cost four to five figures and reportedly sound better, but are not necessary.

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 21
I pretty much agree with this, since it did sound more three-dimensional, though for me, it wasn't fun in the "bouncy" sense, but instead somewhat lush, warm, and smooth. Kind of a cross between audiophile and fun, or whatever you want to call it. I thought my modded HE400i had a similar sound signature to the HE1000, whereas the HE-6 was more straightforward.

Yep. I agree with that.

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #15 of 21

The HD800 has no problem becoming a bass heavy headphone since it doesn't lack bass unlike most dynamic headphones on the market (it extends very far down). It is actually the best I have heard yet on the headphone ( I have yet to try the HE-1000 and the SR-009 though). 

If you mean if the HD800 can't reproduce a bloated, sloppy and unrefined bass like bass heavy headphones, then yes. Because the HD800 produces a very fast, detailed and clear bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back