Is there such thing as a perfect headphone?
Sep 5, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #16 of 44
I don't think there is a perfect or best headphone,only better and badass.

Sep 5, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #17 of 44
There is no perfect headphone, simply because they all sound different (even varying according to the dac/amp used) and each owner has different taste. It is like asking whether there is such a thing as a perfect restaurant in a world that offers everything from sushi to steak.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 44
Are there perfect headphones in this world? Yes there are, but not in the sense that I , or someone else, can point directly at a single set. This notion of perfect may possibly never exist, due to the immense variance of listening taste of people.

But, you said there are perfect headphones.

I did say that for one reason alone. They are the ones you will pick 60% of the, all the time. The ones you start miss, when you don't have them on your person. The ones you suggest the most to noobs like me. The ones you cry over when they break.

Well I can go at this all day, but I think you get the point.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #19 of 44
Are there perfect headphones in this world? Yes there are, but not in the sense that I , or someone else, can point directly at a single set. This notion of perfect may possibly never exist, due to the immense variance of listening taste of people.

But, you said there are perfect headphones.

I did say that for one reason alone. They are the ones you will pick 60% of the, all the time. The ones you start miss, when you don't have them on your person. The ones you suggest the most to noobs like me. The ones you cry over when they break.

Well I can go at this all day, but I think you get the point.

Yes, but your perfect headphones are not likely to be my perfect headphones. I will likely cry over the demise of another pair. To me, the original question posits that there might be a perfect pair for everyone. Clearly, there is not.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #20 of 44
  Yes, but your perfect headphones are not likely to be my perfect headphones. I will likely cry over the demise of another pair. To me, the original question posits that there might be a perfect pair for everyone. Clearly, there is not.

I guess if you want to look at it that way you can go by the sheer numbers of what headphone gets suggested most by a set number of people.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 44

I guess if you want to look at it that way you can go by the sheer numbers of what headphone gets suggested most by a set number of people.

But the point is, I don't look at it that way. However, I am assuming the OP was asking for an answer to what would be the perfect headphone for everyone. I could be wrong. I have a number of headphones because they all respond differently to different types of music. Some of those are on the list of the top-suggested headphones. But while I enjoy them all, none is "perfect" for me. What is "perfect" for a female jazz vocalist is not "perfect" for rock, for instance. What is "perfect" for orchestral music may not be "perfect" for dubstep. And the list goes on. Add to the mix the fact that I like some of my headphones better with particular amps and dacs, and the notion of "perfect" slides further into obscurity.

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #22 of 44
I don't think there is a "perfect" headphone, but there are some headphones that are better all-arounders than others. There might even be a best of that lot. I'm sure you'll get a lot of varying opinions about which one that is and not too close to a consensus. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 44
I feel this is a rhetorical question and should be locked. It's a paradox that the repliers aren't helping to explain, ex: pro/cons etc. open, closed, leather, velour, on ear, around ear etc. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #24 of 44
All of this ("ex: pro/cons etc. open, closed, leather, velour, on ear, around ear etc.") has been discussed elsewhere many, many times and needn't be repeated here. Those who want this type of information can use the search tool and participate in those discussions

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 44
It's not essential that you participate in this discussion if you think the question is not valid just ignore the tjread, I think it's a question that can be answered and my answer like a couple of others is.

(((beyerdynamic DT150

The headphone that does it all. The most amazing bass as and when the music requires it, crystalline yet totally non fatigueing highs, beautiful mids some of the nicest vocals you'll hear Zero sibilance.Closed back but still airy sounding big soundstage-the best of both worlds, Ridiculously good value and built to last a lifetime with fully replaceable parts. Ugly as hell but who cares when you're just simply enjoying tje music
Some people like a different headphonesl for every genre bit the DT150s do them all justice
If that doesn't sound like the perfect headphone then I don't know what is!
IMVHO of course and am ever growing band of enlightened enthusiasts (at long last)

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #27 of 44
  But the point is, I don't look at it that way. However, I am assuming the OP was asking for an answer to what would be the perfect headphone for everyone. I could be wrong. I have a number of headphones because they all respond differently to different types of music. Some of those are on the list of the top-suggested headphones. But while I enjoy them all, none is "perfect" for me. What is "perfect" for a female jazz vocalist is not "perfect" for rock, for instance. What is "perfect" for orchestral music may not be "perfect" for dubstep. And the list goes on. Add to the mix the fact that I like some of my headphones better with particular amps and dacs, and the notion of "perfect" slides further into obscurity.

It seems I may have misunderstood you, but know the less you are quite right.  You and I may have very different taste in sounds, or may not.  Never know since we never shared, but in the end everyone does have a varying taste.  The point I was trying to get across is perfect is what you find perfect, and not what someone else or greater majority considers perfect.

The perfect headphone, sound-wise, is the one whose frequency response you best know how to change.

I agree.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #28 of 44
Three things I want to say:

1. Nothing is perfect in this world and I am sure OP knows this too. In other words, he already knows the answer to his main question.

2. Regarding the "perfect" headphone, a headphone that excels in gaming, movies, all genres of music, being comfortable, isolating a lot of noise, not leaking a lot of noise, and finally being detailed and fun sounding at the same time. These are purely my opinion, but let's go through the list one by one. A characteristic that a good headphone must have for gaming and movies is soundstage. In order to achieve a good soundstage, you will typically need an open back headphone. In other words, it will not isolate much and it will leak a lot of noise. Next, I personally think certain genres of music requires certain emphasis on certain frequencies. For example, I don't think a lot of people would enjoy listening to hip hop or dubstep with a neutral headphone. Often times, people will want the headphone to have a tight, impactful, and an emphasized bass. On the other hand, if you are listening to an acoustic track or a piano, having a good bass can't hurt but it might not be the main thing that you are looking for. As for comfort, that depends on person to person. I know a lot of people that find Audio Technica's 3D wing system to be comfortable, and AKG K701 to be uncomfortable. It is the complete opposite for me. Finally regarding detailed and fun sounding, correct me if I am wrong, but when you say detailed do you mean analytical? From what I know, analytical and fun are kind of like an opposite. One is very musical but boring, and the other is not musical but fun.

3. So I think it's pretty obvious that there is no such thing as a perfect headphone. However, an all around headphone that has good value, good with gaming and movies, generally sounds good with a wide variety of genre, while being closed back is a completely different story, and I think that is what OP is really asking here. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of neutral or "jack of all trade" headphones. I much prefer to go with niche products that does few things extremely well while having some weaknesses. But, I am sure there is a right headphone out there and I am sure there are people that can help you find it. Good luck and cheers.

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #29 of 44
I skipped the replies since a quick glance suggested it's become a recommendations thread.

Honestly I don't think there's a perfect headphone. Different headphones will have emphasis on different areas unless they're perfectly neutral in which case people who prefer an emphasis on certain areas won't like them.

Another thing is for different genres people tend to prefer different emphasis.

I would say perfectly neutral headphones along with *gasp* some EQ to fit them to each genre and your personal preferences would be ideal. For a lot of people this could be "perfect"

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #30 of 44
DT150 - yes its analytical (if you wish to concentrate on every detail) and fun and musical (If just want to enjoy the music)

it's neutral but has massive bass presence when the music demands. It simply supplies your ears with music in a natural and enjoyable way,with the correct "timbre' where instruments sounds correct ie things that might not show up on a frequencies chart, It is a magical headiphone
Bear I'm mind I never "game" and listen to little music produced after 1980 and I am not a sound expert so please ignore all of the above

Users who are viewing this thread

Back