Is this a good combo for Sennheiser's HD650
Jun 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

JuanseAmador

1000+ Head-Fier
So I'm getting the Senns and I need a portable and desktop amp...
I had between the JDS Labs CMoyBB, and the Electirc-Avenues PA2V2.
I finally went for the PA2V2 and for desktop options, I had the Objective 2, C421, and Schiit Asgard, or Schiit Valhalla.
Then I chose Schiit, but I'm not sure if I should choose the Asgard or Valhalla,
and if I need to choose the Valhalla... Does it comes with the tubes??
And does it come with a manual showing you how to put them?

I'm new in Audiophile world so that's the reason I'm asking...
My budget is $350, for the desktop amp, since I'm permanently going for the PA2V2.

Genres:
Classic Rock
Alternative
Indie
Grunge
Hard Rock
Metal
Rock N Roll
Punk Rock
Modern Rock

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 42
Are you already set on the 650's?  If not, switch to the 600's.  I think many people here regard those as better than 650's these days.

Why did you pick the PA2V2 over the Objective2?

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #3 of 42
Are you already set on the 650's?  If not, switch to the 600's.  I think many people here regard those as better than 650's these days.

That really depends. I might have agreed with you at one point but not really anymore. Firstly, the 650s look much nicer than the 600s. Who knows what Sennheiser was or still is thinking producing a phone that looks like that. Secondly, remove the earpads and rotate them 180° and then reinsert so that the thinner portion now faces front and the fatter portion now faces back. This will not only loosen the tighter grip on your face, it will widen the soundstage and open up the treble on the 650s. And when running them balanced, they are every bit as good as the 600s with more visceral impact. The 600s are a tad more neutral though.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

I didn't choose the PA2V2 over the objective... I want portable and desktop amp.

Portable: CMoyBB (JDS Labs) and PA2V2. I chose the PA2V2 as portable.
Desktop: Objective , C421, Schiit Asgard, Schiit Valhalla. I chose Schiit.

And why should I choose the HD600 over the HD650? Why are they better?

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 42
HD600's are just more neutral, that's all.  InnerFidelity did some stuff comparing them I think?  You can check that out if you're interested.  I can't really tell you why, I haven't compared them personally.  I've heard through the grapevine that people think the HD600's are superior to the HD650.

Anyways, the Objective2 is a portable amp, and a very good one at that.  This is why I was asking why you abandoned the Objective2 and stuck with the PA2V2.

There are probably better amps than the Objective2 that you could pick for a desktop amp.  Shiit makes some pretty good stuff for that if you don't want to DIY.

I think your set up should be:

HD600
Objective2 (portable)
Shiit "whatever" (desktop)
ODAC DAC (desktop and portable desktop to use with O2)

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:
HD600's are just more neutral, that's all.  InnerFidelity did some stuff comparing them I think?  You can check that out if you're interested.  I can't really tell you why, I haven't compared them personally.  I've heard through the grapevine that people think the HD600's are superior to the HD650.

Anyways, the Objective2 is a portable amp, and a very good one at that.  This is why I was asking why you abandoned the Objective2 and stuck with the PA2V2.

There are probably better amps than the Objective2 that you could pick for a desktop amp.  Shiit makes some pretty good stuff for that if you don't want to DIY.

I think your set up should be:

HD600
Objective2 (portable)
Shiit "whatever" (desktop)

I know it's portable, but I prefer spending more money on the desktop, since it will be for main use.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 42
I can't speak for other amps on your list but i don't think Objective 2 is good match for HD650 since you can't get deep bass you need for classical or jazz but i defenetely know that Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/AMP in one) are made for each other. Just use coaxial or optical imput for best results

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:
I can't speak for other amps on your list but i don't think Objective 2 is good match for HD650 since you can't get deep bass you need for classical or jazz but i defenetely know that Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/AMP in one) are made for each other. Just use coaxial or optical imput for best results

And is it DIY?

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 42
And is it DIY?

The Objective 2 is supposed to be a great amp for portable or desktop use and everyone I've spoken to that has heard one has told me to get one. That being said, I don't need one since I have a rather large home rig and don't do any portable listening.

It's not expensive and seems like a great investment. I am friendly with the owner of JDS Labs and know he makes great products so you might want to purchase one from him if you do decide to get one.

Do you plan on using a separate DAC or just a portable media player?

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

I didn't choose the PA2V2 over the objective... I want portable and desktop amp.

Portable: CMoyBB (JDS Labs) and PA2V2. I chose the PA2V2 as portable.
Desktop: Objective , C421, Schiit Asgard, Schiit Valhalla. I chose Schiit.

And why should I choose the HD600 over the HD650? Why are they better?

They are not better. 600's are more balanced with a smaller soundstage, 650's have more bass (due to a rather nice hump in lower mids) and tend to suite just about any music type, due to their very musical and none fatiguing character. Probably the greatest midprice (once high-end) phone ever made IMO.

Sorry don't have much advice on portable amps for them though, as they are 300 ohms (quite hard to drive) I do have a little necosoundlab dual mono portable that goes up to 300 ohms max and it sounds ok. As for desk top, try and look at Hybrid's as the 650's sound great with a bit of tube soundstage and solid state for sharpening the highs. I use an old modded Xcan V3 and I haven't heard anything better yet.    

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:
I can't speak for other amps on your list but i don't think Objective 2 is good match for HD650 since you can't get deep bass you need for classical or jazz.

This statement makes no sense.

Jun 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:
The Objective 2 is supposed to be a great amp for portable or desktop use and everyone I've spoken to that has heard one has told me to get one. That being said, I don't need one since I have a rather large home rig and don't do any portable listening.
It's not expensive and seems like a great investment. I am friendly with the owner of JDS Labs and know he makes great products so you might want to purchase one from him if you do decide to get one.
Do you plan on using a separate DAC or just a portable media player?

First of all, thanks for your help!

Setup:
iPod Classic 7th generation (trying to find a new 5th, since the Wolfson DAC is better)
Fiio L9 LOD
Electric Avenues PA2V2

[size=1.2em] Sennheiser HD650[/size]

Apple Lossless 

Desktop Amp: I'm not sure which one to pick.

Some Options:

Graham Slee Solo II
Schiit Asgard
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC with OPA627 OpAmp and GE 5670 tube.

If you know any better please tell me!
BTW I'm leaning for the Maverick, because it's a DAC also

[size=1.2em]  [/size]

[size=1.2em]  [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back