Is this good enough to drive my DT880 Pro 250?
Apr 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zeusthunderbolt

New Head-Fier
Way back in 2007, I bought the Pioneer TRE-2000/DIR-2000C Dolby Digital Cordless Surround Headphones. I used the thing for about a year before I decided to replace it with something more lightweight and portable. So the thing is, I recently picked up the DT880 Pro 250 and was wondering whether the TRE-2000 decoder/transmitter was powerful enough to drive them. Now the manual that I got with the Pioneer set is in Japanese since they were never sold anywhere else but Japan. So basically, I have no idea what the thing can or cannot do.

So do you think that it is good enough for the purpose or should I go ahead and buy one of the various Fiio offerings?

Here are a couple of shots of the unit itself, just to make things easier.

http://img.ruten.com.tw/s1/3/f8/8b/21211251211403_277.jpg

http://img.ruten.com.tw/s1/3/f8/8b/21211251211403_4.jpg

Cheers.

Apr 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 6
It is not really about the impedance as much as the headphone sensitivity.  Typically impedance only plays a major roll if the impedance is below 20 Ohms or well above 600 Ohms.

The DT880 ( 250 Ohm ) version has a slightly lower than preferred sensitivity ( 96 dB /mW ) making pretty much your middle of the road, not to worry, drivable headphone.  I would not worry about running out of any source save a portable, but even then they are going to get pretty loud.  You may find the limit of the headphone listening to quiet jazz or classical music.

To know for sure we need to know the output specs of the TRE-2000 decoder/transmitter.  Look in the manual for something like 200mW @ 32 Ohms or something like that.  Chances are you are in the clear.

I am not sure about anyone else trying to view the images, but they are only of the logo and not of the unit.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
It is not really about the impedance as much as the headphone sensitivity.  Typically impedance only plays a major roll if the impedance is below 20 Ohms or well above 600 Ohms.

The DT880 ( 250 Ohm ) version has a slightly lower than preferred sensitivity ( 96 dB /mW ) making pretty much your middle of the road, not to worry, drivable headphone.  I would not worry about running out of any source save a portable, but even then they are going to get pretty loud.  You may find the limit of the headphone listening to quiet jazz or classical music.

To know for sure we need to know the output specs of the TRE-2000 decoder/transmitter.  Look in the manual for something like 200mW @ 32 Ohms or something like that.  Chances are you are in the clear.

I am not sure about anyone else trying to view the images, but they are only of the logo and not of the unit.

Appreciate your inputs very much. I went through the entire manual and yet I couldn't find any useful specification/info that I could use. I'm actually interested in the E17 not only because of the headphone amp but also the DAC functionality. I have a 2007 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro and although Macs usually have decent audio capabilities but from what I've read, a DAC could "enhance" the experience. So I might end up getting the E17 anyway.

You see, I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to headphones, DACs and amp talk. Having said that, I've always been a sucker for good audio but never dared to get into the audiophile thing and it's all related to how much these things can set you back when you actually decide to hop in. I live in New Delhi, India and decent audio equipment can get really expensive here, mainly because of the import duties and all kinds of taxes and charges that are rubbed in by the customs department.

Having said all that, I think I am ready to take the plunge now.

Cheers for the help. Really appreciate it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 6
To many of us a low cost yet hi-fi solution is to go with a DAC/Amp combo like the O2+ODAC. It measures very well, was designed to sound and measure well, and is affordable compared to much "higher end gear". I gave it a listen and the one I heard sounded identical to my Grace m903 which is around 5 times the price. You can find them over at JDS Labs: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48 Some may argue this is not an affordable option, but for those of us who have ventured from $50 setups to $5000 setups the O2+ODAC is well worth it. Depending on what cans you ultimately end up with there may be more fun sounding options, but for most of what is out there the amp/DAC combo is a great deal. You may also want to look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared/120

May 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
To many of us a low cost yet hi-fi solution is to go with a DAC/Amp combo like the O2+ODAC. It measures very well, was designed to sound and measure well, and is affordable compared to much "higher end gear". I gave it a listen and the one I heard sounded identical to my Grace m903 which is around 5 times the price. You can find them over at JDS Labs: http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=48 Some may argue this is not an affordable option, but for those of us who have ventured from $50 setups to $5000 setups the O2+ODAC is well worth it. Depending on what cans you ultimately end up with there may be more fun sounding options, but for most of what is out there the amp/DAC combo is a great deal. You may also want to look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-10-amps-compared/120

The O2+ODAC does indeed look tempting. So does the E17+E9K combo. if you were to choose between the two setups, which one would you go for? Also, what's your take on Headphone Amps found in modern day AVRs such as the Onkyos and Denons? I do have a Onkyo HT-R390 AVR which I bought in late 2011. The DT880s do sound nice when plugged into the jack of the Onkyo but I'm not sure what to make of it since I don't have a dedicated amp to compare it with.

Cheers for the shootout link 
smile.gif

May 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I've got the ODAC and O2 as two standalone units. I listen through the DT 880 (250 Ohm; 2005 Edition). 
To my ears, the ODAC and O2 sound superbly: crystal clear and clean sound!

Laptop ---> ODAC ---> O2 ---> DT 880 (250 Ohm) 

I am extremely happy (and lucky): no buzzing, whining, noise, etc

By the way, what would be a preferred sensitivity ( greater than 96 dB /mW)?
I'd like to explore other headphones (under $300) with my ODAC & O2.
I was thinking about buying the AKG K 550, but because of those spikes in the upper mid-range .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back