ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #4,666 of 5,069
Post from the Penon Thread:

DSC_0036.jpege.jpeg

After spending a total of 48 hours without listening to IEMs, I have now attempted to truly analyze the new ISN CS02 with fresh ears. I have personally not read Dsnuts review, hence his ideas coloring my thoughts of the cable. This is an attempt as to arrive with a kind of loss of any expectation-bias. I have not even truly studied the product page as to not to gain any ideas as to the physical make-up of such cable. I don't even know the price other that somewhere around $70?

Such anti-preparedness is at times essential to getting the dope on a new cable. And what better to enjoy the experience than with ISN's TOTL Flagship IEM? And while there is more expensive ISN cables, this union of CS02 and ISN EST50 is truly special. A Rhodium surfaced 4.4mm plug may do something, but I don't have a baseline, meaning I don't have another CS02 with a standard plug? The main goals for me with the ISN EST50 is to approach the (bass) heavies with (slight) pace, and that's what the CS02 does. It slightly cleans up the bass, while still leaving the bass authority and fuzzies the EST50 is famous for. And while the stage is nice and big, it's not the biggest cable stage in use with the ISN EST50? Though the endearing part is the seperation and itemization at hand..............you know slight low-key cymbal displays finding there life out-side the regular listening area. In the photo it shows the cable pretty much acting as it does, being of a larger demeanor. Yet amazingly docile once you arrive at use? Strangely docile in comparison to the view in the photo? But probably the best feature of all is that not any one aspect of playback has been placed into extra notice. Not really like the Penon Space, but more like it than different. There is a simple clean-up in bass a little, but that is only slight? The EST50 is still sounding like big floor standers here (I'm going by audio memory). That's the idea of the ISN EST50 anyways........big speakers, and we haven't messed with that one bit. Though to be honest I like the sep-up better with the mid centric Sony WM1A better than the bass heavy and treble tilted (up) Sony WM1Z, but that could be just me and my preferences? Still I wonder now what this cable will be like with brighter IEMs? You will have to read the upcoming review for that. :)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #4,667 of 5,069
Repost from the penon thread:

Here is simply shot to compare size and shape of the new Penon TURBO (the green one).

Note how the little SHOZY B2 is hilariously small. :)

Left to right
Penon 10th Anniversary, ISN Neo 5, Nobel Audio Kaiser 10 Encore

Left to right
SHOZY B2, Penon Volt, Penon TURBO

Left to right
ISN EST50, Penon Globe, SONY IER-Z1R

DSC_0060.jpegqwq.jpeg

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #4,668 of 5,069
As I thought Hakugei Wisteria Fairy didn’t change a lot NEO5 tuning but, improved sub bass extension, midbass is tighter and punchier and doesn’t go on mids.
Mids are more transparent but still bodied, imaging and clarity improved but it’s still a warm set.
I really like how technical abilities, depth and imaging are grown up.

Really a great pairing with the Neo.Thanks for the rec' 🙏

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230811114353490_COVER-picsay.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20230811114353490_COVER-picsay.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #4,669 of 5,069
Aug 12, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #4,672 of 5,069
Is there significant difference between listening isn neo 5 using balanced 4.4 and unbalanced 3.5? What DAC would you recommend? Currently I am deciding between penon tail and fiio btr5 2021.
I never used 3.5 but out of the 4.4 it sounds grand. And I use BTR 7 as my go-to DAC amp. It has pitch black noise and pairs well with most of my IEMs. I sold my BTR 5 21 so I can't comment on it, although I believe BTR 7 is better. Never heard the Penon tail but there are great reviews on it too 😉

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #4,673 of 5,069
Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #4,675 of 5,069
@Redcarmoose Did you test this isn new cable with Neo5? If so do you think it's better compared to S4? It looks interesting by the way
The CS02 is going back to the direction of the S8, probably?

The two cables are really the opposite. The reason I didn’t try the Neo 5 with the CSO2 is I don’t want it thicker, but want the Neo 5 clearer-cleaner, which the S4 gloriously does. Though still it may work......... I mean the last thing is you truly totally don’t know the outcome of a cable matching, you can guess and be right most of the time, but it’s true you never totally know the results.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #4,676 of 5,069
The CS02 is going back to the direction of the S8, probably?

The two cables are really the opposite. The reason I didn’t try the Neo 5 with the CSO2 is I don’t want it thicker, but want the Neo 5 clearer-cleaner, which the S4 gloriously does. Though still it may work......... I mean the last thing is you truly totally don’t know the outcome of a cable matching, you can guess and be right most of the time, but it’s true you never totally know the results.
Yeah btw I received mine just of two days and I can vouch that S4 sounds better with Neo5 and that had to be the first choice of cable. It complements it perfectly 🙂

Aug 16, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,677 of 5,069
Yeah btw I received mine just of two days and I can vouch that S4 sounds better with Neo5 and that had to be the first choice of cable. It complements it perfectly 🙂
It really does! Cheers!

Aug 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #4,678 of 5,069
OK....believe it or not I've just been burning in a pair of new ISN H40's for a few weeks. Very lovable IEM with a very emotional sound. Very pleasing. As you all know they are very bass driven, yet have very rich and emotional vocals. I'm using them with a XINHS 8 strand pure copper and silver cable and Penon Orange L tips. It's a bit like a UK Sunday Lunch. Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding and Gravy. That homely sound that is comforting. Even the treble/highs taste good. Not a detail freak but still Cordon Bleu. Still relevant in 2023. Possibly one of the best performance to price IEMs I've heard.

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #4,679 of 5,069
OK....believe it or not I've just been burning in a pair of new ISN H40's for a few weeks. Very lovable IEM with a very emotional sound. Very pleasing. As you all know they are very bass driven, yet have very rich and emotional vocals. I'm using them with a XINHS 8 strand pure copper and silver cable and Penon Orange L tips. It's a bit like a UK Sunday Lunch. Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding and Gravy. That homely sound that is comforting. Even the treble/highs taste good. Not a detail freak but still Cordon Bleu. Still relevant in 2023. Possibly one of the best performance to price IEMs I've heard.

I don't know why I keep looking, nothing I've heard can touch my H40's... I keep trying other things and I just keep coming straight back to the H40's. I can't FIGHT it any more, nothing touches the H40's for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back