ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #61 of 5,068
Started my listening session with the retired H40. Source is Tidal hi-fi on a hiby R6. Nothing special, very meh sound. Not better than my $70 BLON Cardinal (this iem is great but I still need a better cable to fully judge). After 15 minutes of decent sound, I decided that the retired H40 will probably stay in my gym bag. Switched to the real H40 with its ISN S8 2.5mm balanced cable and oh boy now we are talking. I wanted to watch the Silicon Valley final episode 45 minutes ago and I can't stop listening. I don't want to prematurely give too many impressions but the bass is way better than my DM6 and the sounstage is very wide, big changes compared to the BLON Cardinal and the DM6. I will listen more tomorrow, I don't want to do any artificial burn-in but let's just say that I don't regret my purchase one bit already (and I have my massdrop x JVC FX coming soon, one might say that the H40 could have been overkill...)
Happy so far, very happy
20191210_220331.jpg

Dec 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #65 of 5,068
That cable they threw on there is a real good one too. It matches up with the sonic ability of the H40 perfectly. I am very certain they tuned that with that cable in mind. So no need to cable roll. However

I did take the opportunity to try some more cables. Silver content cables extends treble more and gives the H40 a more neutral flavor even tightening up the bass a bit in the process. Copper variety warms up the sound and gives a fuller mid band and bass to the H40 for a more musical take. You guys can tune the H40 to your liking with different cables depending on your preference for sound. Of course tips can have some effect as well.

Then when you throw on the stock S8 it is hard to argue how that meshes so well for H40. It is the perfect balance of detail and musicality for the H40.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #66 of 5,068
Someone (in this thread I think) asked how do we stop buying new IEMs?
Sh...t after reading Dsnuts review and this thread I have to constantly repeat myself... Stop it, I'm satisfied with what I already own, I have other responsibilities...

@Dsnuts
Just out of the curiosity, have you heard S8F? How would you compare them?

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #68 of 5,068
Never heard a S8F @audio123 might have though.

I don't want to influence the poor wallets of headfirs. I just report what I hear. :ksc75smile:
As @Dsnuts mentioned, I have the S8F & H40 on hand.
@progdvd Basically, H40 has the edge for the bass which comes as no surprise since it has a dynamic driver. It is more punchy and impactful. The S8F has more clarity for midrange and treble. It is also important to note the price difference between both IEMs. ISN H40@195USD, Fearless S8 Freedom@499USD. Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #69 of 5,068

This guy @audio123 have listened to every IEM that ever made on earth.

So buddy, what is pros and cons between H40 with A6. I was targetting LZ A6 for my next but looks like this H40 is pretty good. Thanks in advance

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #70 of 5,068
This guy @audio123 have listened to every IEM that ever made on earth.

So buddy, what is pros and cons between H40 with A6. I was targetting LZ A6 for my next but looks like this H40 is pretty good. Thanks in advance
Thank you! The H40 has significantly better fit than the LZ A6. The H40 has fuller bass performance and it is more impactful than the LZ A6. The LZ A6 has quicker bass decay. The LZ A6 has a more vivid midrange while the H40 has a focused yet controlled expression. The treble on LZ A6 is slightly crispier but H40 has the edge with a smoother presentation. The H40 presents a bigger stage with greater width & depth. Both are really good IEMs so it boils down to personal preference. If I have to pick between the ISN H40 & LZ A6, it will be the H40 because of its better fit and fatigue-free sound in comparison.

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #71 of 5,068
Dec 12, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #72 of 5,068
I know when new phones comes on the scene people always want to know. Does this out do that. You know I will say I own earphones from TOTL level to phones like the NiceHCK DB3 which cost $20. To me if I have a phone that sound exactly like another then I will have no real reason to keep it. I will let you guys know why I think the H40 is specail to me.

It is only natural to think wow if this isnt gonna be good as this why would I buy it or be insterested in it. I think there is certain point where diminishing returns starts to kick in and you don't get the advances in sound you pay for. The H40 is refreshing in that it easily out performs the price paid to get one, so the value aspect is one thing.

Truth is each phone out in the market has its own sound. I think you have to take into account cost sure but more of what the phone represents and if it will fit into your collection. For me The H40 created something I didn't realize I didnt have. It is the first really good quality bassy iem I have owned that really incorporates everything in the sound design. My Sony Z5 I can say is bassy but unless that is pumping out of an amp that classic Sony sound has the mids a bit back in the mix. The H40 has all of it and does it well. I think what initially blew me away with this sound design is I have never heard this much bass performance on an earphone that also has full on mids and treble incorporated. That to me was unique. I actually didn't think it existed.

Sure I have my zeus which will chop socky every little detail and layering of a tune. 14 BAs will do that. But ask me which phone I enjoy listening to more.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #73 of 5,068
A pair have somehow appeared in my cart :astonished:.

In all seriousness I’m weighing 3 choices right now for something a little more neutral and linear (haven’t had much luck at the budget end of the spectrum). I already have the T800 for atmospheric, symphonic detail, V90 for drum and bass drama, so I’m looking at H40, KXXS ooor...just throwing caution to the winds and getting a Dunu dk-4001.

The funny thing is you’re all describing the sound of the ISN in ways that are very reminiscent of the Dunu reviews.

It’s giving me pause for thought. H40s look like they’d fit me the best as well.

Please keep the impressions coming! :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #74 of 5,068
Well this is my first post about the H40 that I have to disagree with Dsnuts, I would not describe the H40 as being a bassy phone. I hate bassy earphones, as I am somewhat of a treble head. My description is it's a very vivid sounding bass that never intrudes into the mids and a super sounding sub bass. To my ears most bassy earphones have a tendency of making a earphone sound dark. The H40 is not dark sounding at all and therefore to me don't sound bassy, but has the best clear detailed bass I've ever heard in a iem, not to mention its great sounding mids and treble.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #75 of 5,068
Well I think we have to clarify what I mean by bassy. I put on my description of them as being really good quality bass phone. I think you and I are describing the same thing. Most enthusiasts don't associate Bass with having tightness and punchiness otherwise quality.

Bass is associated with what a lot of folks see as something for the kids. Nope not for the H40. I would say it is more audiophile bass than something that is on your skull candies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back