Issues with exclusive mode in windows 11
Feb 22, 2023 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chef8489

Headphoneus Supremus
I have an issue with exclusive mode in windows 11 that started around nov. Basically I can not use exclusive mode any longer. This includes Tidal and amazon music. I get errors saying my device is being used by other programs or that device can not be used. I am using a Schiit multibit dac Lyr 3. System is only a year old ryzen 5800x on asus dark hero board with 128 gig ram. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing is working.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi,have you tried to unistall (and delete) the dac drivers and then re-install ?Also check to see in the device manger if there are errors on the device .
Make sure you connect it to a USB port that is no shared by another device ,you can do that if you open the usb hub tree in the device manager.
Also try not to have it at the same time as default audio device for example in windows ...audio playing in browser an then try to open an audioplayer app or an audio application that tries to use the card.Also does this happen with all apps or just a specific one ,i read that some apps have issues!

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi,have you tried to unistall (and delete) the dac drivers and then re-install ?Also check to see in the device manger if there are errors on the device .
Make sure you connect it to a USB port that is no shared by another device ,you can do that if you open the usb hub tree in the device manager.
Also try not to have it at the same time as default audio device for example in windows ...audio playing in browser an then try to open an audioplayer app or an audio application that tries to use the card.Also does this happen with all apps or just a specific one ,i read that some apps have issues!
Yes I have tried all those steps. Windows is not using the device. Windows is using my speakers not my usb dac. no other program is open using the dac. I have uninstalled all the drivers unplugged the dac and used different ports on the pc. Uninstalled all my sound drivers and devices. If i dont use exclusive mode I can use the device. Now if I use Jriver I can use a generic usb asio and it works, but if I select schiit waspi in my Jriver settings I get errors. So with Jriver working with the generic usb asio I can then select my standard system drivers and speakers and bypass my schiit usb sac so it is no longer in use and still can not use it in any other programs. Now before nov I could use it in all my aps interchangably just by closing one app and opening another.I did not have to change any setting. all used exclusive mode and had the schiit as the device and my headphones were of course the output.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #4 of 10
Does the dac have its own Asio drivers to try with jriver?If you use Asio you dont need exclusive mode since Asio bypasses windows audio control. Also when you to the sound options-advanced tab and the select the dac the exclusive mode tabs ,are they selectable with the check or grayed out ?
Also have you tried the opossite ,enable the dac as default windows device ,check the exclusive tabs and then use it with Jriver.
Also note that In WASAPI Mode, WASAPI Exclusive (non-bit-perfect) mode and Direct Sound Mode, Windows up-convert all audio to 32-bit float and will down-convert if the hardware doesn't support 32-bit. The frequency and bit-depth are converted to what is set in Windows sound settings. So, it would be wise to set the Shared bit-depth and frequency accordingly in Windows sound settings. WASAPI Exclusive (Bit-Perfect) Mode bypasses all of this. I am not very familar with wasapi though since i use ASIO for alla sound devices except when listening from web so i use the WDM drivers. Does the schiit driver panel have any configs that maybe need to be adjusted for bitrates ,asio or anything ealse?

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't want windows to use the device. I want each app in windows to bypass windows. Windows is using my speakers. Schiit doesn't have a driver panel or software. It is just a dac that feeds via USB out of the PC.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Using the dac as windows defaukt was just for testing.Since the device does not have oem ASIO drivers you can not isolate the DAC from windows audio control.
It is using standard USB audio windows drivers.So you have to assign another audio device as default (The onboard audio etc) and choose the dac via an app like jriver using wasapi.Still there is exclusive mode tab in jriver and also in the windows sound panel ,have you tried selecting exclusive there as well ?

windows audio.jpg

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Using the dac as windows defaukt was just for testing.Since the device does not have oem ASIO drivers you can not isolate the DAC from windows audio control.
It is using standard USB audio windows drivers.So you have to assign another audio device as default (The onboard audio etc) and choose the dac via an app like jriver using wasapi.Still there is exclusive mode tab in jriver and also in the windows sound panel ,have you tried selecting exclusive there as well ?

windows audio.jpg
Gotcha.. I'll get back to you guys on this..

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Check using Autoruns which is a free app that'll show everything that's loading, including old sound drivers which usually don't completely uninstall. You can uncheck anything and really get rid of it.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 10
I did a complete reformat and installed windows 10. Seems to be working now, but we will see if it continues to work. Have a lot of work to do and it still has to reinstall windows 11 eventually. Have not tried tidal yet, but Amazon and jriver is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back