Oct 31, 2007 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

trose49

Banned
APPLE TV MUSIC SERVER!

aptvpc9.jpg

Without the DIP:

aptvg2me0.jpg

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 55
Flash off of TechFlex Reflex Cable! LOL!

I will try for better pics tomorrow! I spent all night getting it set up and syncing etc!

I think the Monarchy will not be part of this system it added an etchyness to the DAC. The Meridian 203 DAC sounds great all by itself. Talk about old school the DAC is 17 years old!

OLD MEETS NEW!

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 55
Holy hell...that's one SERIOUS rig....

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Meridian 203 DAC sounds great all by itself. Talk about old school the DAC is 17 years old!

nearer 19 years old ? I think it was actually the first ever true separate DAC / Transport set along with the Meridian 200 and a Sony 555 or somesuch DAC/ Transport which came out around the same time.

Still a Meridian is a Meridian. Gotta love those '80s pinstripes
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still a Meridian is a Meridian. Gotta love those '80s pinstripes
tongue.gif

Too bad digital came too late, a few years earlier it would've arrived before the black plaque.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 55
Awesome system!

Is the Monarchy an external clock for the DAC or am I way off?

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 55
The born on date on mine is 12 / 1990. This is when the chipset was updated to the deltasigma which is still used in many of todays devices.

The additiion of the Monarchy Dip created a more sterile sound and lacked the warmth the Meridian already had. I actually wanted the dip to improve the sound but no luck!

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome system!

Is the Monarchy an external clock for the DAC or am I way off?

Yes this model ia a clock / Jitter reduction and upsampler which was not a benefit on this DAC because it is only 16bit! So its out of the loop!

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad digital came too late, a few years earlier it would've arrived before the black plaque.
rolleyes.gif

Meridian actually claim on their website http://www.meridian-audio.com/p_cd_history.htm that the 203 came out in 1985 which would make it 22 years old but I think it went through several revisions. You can't see in the pix but it's actually a dark grey / black with perspex covering and fine yellow pinstripes.

First gen Meridian MCD (1983) is grey nextel which has it's own cosmetic issues but early Philips / Marantz machines still came in silver or "champagne gold" as Marantz are wont to call it.

I think the black fashion was around 1986? onwards? not sure. Naim switched to Olive green around this time presumably because they thought their minimalist "chrome bumper" aesthetic didn't stand out from the crowd enough any more
lambda.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The born on date on mine is 12 / 1990. This is when the chipset was updated to the deltasigma which is still used in many of todays devices.

see above

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #13 of 55
Many prefer R2R Dac chips over Delta Sigma. Not saying necessarily that I am one, but the superiority of Delta Sigma is somewhat debatable. I think it depends more on chip to chip.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many prefer R2R Dac chips over Delta Sigma. Not saying necessarily that I am one, but the superiority of Delta Sigma is somewhat debatable. I think it depends more on chip to chip.

Always personal pref of coarse. As my DAC is 17 years old and the prior chipset goes back to 1985. I personally was happy to find the later version but to each his own!

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 55
I'll look forward to hearing this at the NYC meet
biggrin.gif

There are a lot of parts though. I cannot handle all the wires.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back