Ive decided I want to get an amp but dont know how to go about it.
Nov 2, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
The fiio e5 seems like an "Ok" amp with its bass boost, but I'm looking for something more. I would really like to have a cmoy with bass boost, but I am clueless with what to get for it etc.. I looked up how to build one on the internet but the schematics confuse me. Just a bunch of lines and squigglies to me with numbers and letters. Plus Im not that good at soldering, the only soldering that I have done wasnt true soldering. I just heated up a pipe with a torch and put melted soldering wire into the crevice of the two conjoining pipes. That was in woodshop class a couple years ago btw..

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 8
There are as many opinions about portable amps as there are people with portable amps. If you have no experience soldering very small components, you might want to practice soldering before investing in all of the components.

My cMoyBBv2.02 loves my Zune 30 and my S4s, though the S4s don't need the amp. I bought the BB2.02 already built by Jon Seaber at JDSlabs.com. I have all the components for a Mini3, but even though I was once a Navy electronics technician, I am having to readjust soldering tiny components.

You don't necessarily need to be able to read a schematic to build an amp. You just need a kit for noobs (like me) and decent soldering techniques (which I have not).

Nov 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Im guessing the cMoyBBv2.02 is a bass boost cmoy right? I am watching a video about how to solder the origional cmoy and it is fairly complex on how the components are laid out.

Nov 3, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im guessing the cMoyBBv2.02 is a bass boost cmoy right? I am watching a video about how to solder the origional cmoy and it is fairly complex on how the components are laid out.

yeah... I don't use the boost as my phones are bass sufficient, but I hit it sometimes just to see the effect. The amp has a really clean sound that is warm to begin with and it pairs nicely with my Zune and my crackberry. Seaber sells the components to build them and you can also buy them finished.

There are a lot of opamps out there and a lot of designs. After i bought my BB202 and saw how apparently simple the board was, i decided to build my own amp, and chose the Mini3 based on recs from guys here.

Components have gotten much smaller in the last 30 years and my technique hasn't. Once i get past the soics, I'll be okay. I wish the mini3 had used DIP sockets, though...

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Cool, well ive been e-mailing Jon for a while and hes a nice guy and answers my questions immediately. So how much do you like the cmoy bb? Does it sound pretty good with the zune 30 through the headphone out? Im really considering buying one.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 8
If you like the way your Zune sounds with your phones now, you'll probably like it much more with the BB202. Just get a decent interconnect and rechargeable 9v batteries.

Nov 3, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, i think im going to take the plunge! Have you tried your srh440s with the bb202? Looks like im going to have to call my car insurance and tell them that they are going to have to wait a couple extra days to take the money out of my account lol
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back