Jade II Discussion
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #76 of 472
Leakage of sound from the JADE2

This is a dangerous product!!

Hifiman, why cant you guys make us state of the art build quailty for safety sake! Jeezz

I was about to pull buy a pair of Jade 2 w/o the amp, then saw that video..what a turn off...

I think part of hifimans sales tactics is trying to make their product "consumable" in terms of build quality, but subtle and slow enough... but this electricity leaking thing is a whole new level of low...And potentially can be some expensive lawsuit stuff.

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #77 of 472
I was about to pull buy a pair of Jade 2 w/o the amp, then saw that video..what a turn off...

I think part of hifimans sales tactics is trying to make their product "consumable" in terms of build quality, but subtle and slow enough... but this electricity leaking thing is a whole new level of low...And potentially can be some expensive lawsuit stuff.

That video is a proper BS
From Splitzer post from another forum:
"the headphones are just made from plastic and PCB material. On the inside of the cups, there is a built in mesh into the pads, then we have a grill made from FR4 and doesn't look to have any traces on it. Now it is black so often tricky to see but yeah... doesn't make any sense to put a track on that part. Next up with a have a gap, then the dust cover, then the strengthening rib for the inner stator and finally something electrically conductive, the stator. Now all of this does flex so you could theoretically push your way to the stator but you are still nowhere near the bias.

Now the amp is not fundamentally unsafe like the Woo Audio garbage but also not what I'd call safe. The earthing is suspect at best and the amp lacks the right value safety resistors but at least there are some in there. The audio output is AC coupled to the stators so no high voltage DC could be present there. The 1k output resistors would also seriously limit the current if something were to happen... "

And you can say a lot about him but he really know his stuff

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #78 of 472
That video is a proper BS
From Splitzer post from another forum:
"the headphones are just made from plastic and PCB material. On the inside of the cups, there is a built in mesh into the pads, then we have a grill made from FR4 and doesn't look to have any traces on it. Now it is black so often tricky to see but yeah... doesn't make any sense to put a track on that part. Next up with a have a gap, then the dust cover, then the strengthening rib for the inner stator and finally something electrically conductive, the stator. Now all of this does flex so you could theoretically push your way to the stator but you are still nowhere near the bias.

Now the amp is not fundamentally unsafe like the Woo Audio garbage but also not what I'd call safe. The earthing is suspect at best and the amp lacks the right value safety resistors but at least there are some in there. The audio output is AC coupled to the stators so no high voltage DC could be present there. The 1k output resistors would also seriously limit the current if something were to happen... "

And you can say a lot about him but he really know his stuff

Im pretty sure the guys at Chernobyl also knew their stuff... so are the automakers who had to do many recalls..or like Samsung's exploding Note 7, pretty sure they devoted much more effort than hifiman and their techs were at more mature state than estat headphones (well maybe not Chernobyl).. Yea headphone ain't that complicated compared to those, so poor build quality is even less tolerable, especially given the price.

The quote did not really say much other than like "human body is made of A, B, C. etc..". I mean, an estat operates on non-safe voltage to human. So the question is just can poor engineering and build quality leads to the consequence that a user is not properly shielded from these voltage, even for an particular unit of the product? I believe the answer to this is undoubtedly yes, regardless "wood, PCB, plastic" and stuff as they just badly implemented.

Then next is that whether Jade 2 is an such product? It is hard to prove on any factual ground whether the YouTube reviewer was outright lying for some unknown reason, or he got some potential health issues that suddenly made him ear felt painful and numb while wearing the Jade 2, or is it simply Hifiman made an bad unit and he ended up with it? I tend to believe an reviewer, who I also think would be a sane person, posting something like that over an major brand in the industry(a small one) won't be doing it for no reason, provided he had been a long term hifiman's planar fan.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #79 of 472
Video was taken out now.

You are right about mosy stuff and on top of it would be there is no proof so claims like that are called liable. If you add one to another it looks like that something happened reviewer jumped into conclusion without anything to back it up and had to take it down.
Also reviewer stated that his hearing was actually better after incident - tested by audiology clinic. So not only no permanent damage but a benefit? Never heard about voltage damage that has benefits

Overall we will see how things develop but as for now for me it was a BS. I will stay open minded thought

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #80 of 472
Video was taken out now.

You are right about mosy stuff and on top of it would be there is no proof so claims like that are called liable. If you add one to another it looks like that something happened reviewer jumped into conclusion without anything to back it up and had to take it down.
Also reviewer stated that his hearing was actually better after incident - tested by audiology clinic. So not only no permanent damage but a benefit? Never heard about voltage damage that has benefits

Overall we will see how things develop but as for now for me it was a BS. I will stay open minded thought

Yea man. I hope the guy was just wrong and freaked out over something else and blamed his Jade 2, I really do. I have bought Susvara, Arya, he560, sundara 400i 4xx.. and certainly love how they sound, thus was wanting to try the Jade 2.. but regardless, the video did cause some concern and I guess I'll just wait and see more reviews.

Btw, there are lots and lots of reasons why an YouTube video got taken off, sometimes against the poster's will, like the accused party used some YouTube ToS stuff to press Google to take it off. Well, keep open minded of course, just pointing out some possibilities that tend to happen when some small guy posting something like that to an well known company with vastly more resources.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #81 of 472
I can say there were probably hundreds (thousands?) of people at CanJam and I heard no one complain about the Jade. As a matter of fact, most people i spoke with liked it. Also, I was doing crazy things like swapping the Shangri La HP's with the Jade amp to no ill effect on me or the HP's.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #82 of 472
No doubt. I would probably like them too if I went. But I was talking about a particular unit of the product that might have "electrocuted" someone. I'm sure the one hifiman brought to Canjam were a perfect pair.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #83 of 472
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #84 of 472
Unfortunately, there is not enough of a sample here as there is only one owner bluesaint and he is not using the Hifiman system only the cans. I do blame Hifiman for that because of their poor marketing they have failed to get these into reviewers hands, so we could know more about this product. Pretty much the only online review of this is not a good one and one in which the reviewer says he was shocked by them. If they don't counteract these bad reviews soon by Black Friday they will be on sale for $1,000 for the system and still available....

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #85 of 472
These just came into my office, so will give them a try vs. Jade2 tonight.. they are even more comfortable than the jade.. I'll post it in the JR thread though.

20190226_123504.jpg 20190226_123451.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #87 of 472
Well, just early impressions, but after letting it burn-in for 12hrs i would say here are my initial observations:
  • Seems to follow the pattern of going up in the HFM totem pole in the sense that going from HE1K to V2 tightened up the details and closed up the soundstages a bit, and going from HE1KV2 to Susvara is same. ie. technicalities all gets better, and soundstage becomes more natural (ie. reduced in size, but more precise and you hear the layers of the soundstage)
    • So going from Jade > Jr is no exception to this, but again, it's a good thing if you want what sounds organic/natural vs. 3D spacious, but lacking accuracy in xyz axis
  • Jr definitely out resolves the Jade and is even faster. Now, I would have never said Jade is slow, but when i previously compared the Jade to HE1KV2 the V2 felt dull and slow. Again its only in direct comparison to the Jr do i feel Jr is a faster can. I think this probably has more to do with the diaphragm is smaller than the Jade's oval oblong structure that allows it to vibrate faster
  • Jade sounds a bit anemic vs. Jr in a technical sense. ie. Jade keeps low FR where they are without bleeding to the mids, and prevents mids bleeding into the trebles. in direct A/B testing almost could say Jade has separated bass, mids and highs. Jr meanwhile sounds fuller while not bleeding.
The best way I'll describe Jr is that is what you would expect if Susvara went eStat. The shape and comfort is the same as Susvara, but still the build quality i feel Susvara still better.

20190226_185808.jpg

QNvsQ1TfQdWQYhXTBgjmug

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #88 of 472
Well, just early impressions, but after letting it burn-in for 12hrs i would say here are my initial observations:
  • Seems to follow the pattern of going up in the HFM totem pole in the sense that going from HE1K to V2 tightened up the details and closed up the soundstages a bit, and going from HE1KV2 to Susvara is same. ie. technicalities all gets better, and soundstage becomes more natural (ie. reduced in size, but more precise and you hear the layers of the soundstage)
    • So going from Jade > Jr is no exception to this, but again, it's a good thing if you want what sounds organic/natural vs. 3D spacious, but lacking accuracy in xyz axis
  • Jr definitely out resolves the Jade and is even faster. Now, I would have never said Jade is slow, but when i previously compared the Jade to HE1KV2 the V2 felt dull and slow. Again its only in direct comparison to the Jr do i feel Jr is a faster can. I think this probably has more to do with the diaphragm is smaller than the Jade's oval oblong structure that allows it to vibrate faster
  • Jade sounds a bit anemic vs. Jr in a technical sense. ie. Jade keeps low FR where they are without bleeding to the mids, and prevents mids bleeding into the trebles. in direct A/B testing almost could say Jade has separated bass, mids and highs. Jr meanwhile sounds fuller while not bleeding.
The best way I'll describe Jr is that is what you would expect if Susvara went eStat. The shape and comfort is the same as Susvara, but still the build quality i feel Susvara still better.

QNvsQ1TfQdWQYhXTBgjmug

Thanks for sharing man. I'd love to compare the JR to the Susvara some day. Whilst it seems the JR is still lacking in the build quality department, people seem to say it has a fuller sound than the SR009. Tough competition for sure, as they are similar in terms of price.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #89 of 472
Yeah i would love to hear how a 009/009S sounds, maybe in one of the upcoming meets. the only thing i can say for certain is, i don't like heavy cans, and almost everyone i talked to say the 009 are heavy? despite how cheap hfm products are in terms of material, it does keep the cans light on your head and extremely comfortable.

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #90 of 472
The best way I'll describe Jr is that is what you would expect if Susvara went eStat.

I called it a Susvara that went estats first! :p

Man, somehow its a da ja vu! Got to copyright my posting.

Just kidding.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back