JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jun 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,067 of 3,417
Just got my customized slate case and black end plates. First off I have to give a huge thanks to John and his professionalism! He responded quickly to my emails, and shipped it the same day. That means I got it today, and not Monday :)

The laser engraving is not a white the POPS, and that suits me just fine. It's simply stunning, IMO. Here are some photos...

The clock is upside down on the first two. Too lazy to re-shoot 'em. It should read 9:12. Or 21:12 :wink:

You can see my thumb print/smudge at the top center of the end plate.  Oops... :wink:

Here's how it pairs with the similarly colored iPod Classic.

It was worth the effort to create the image and figure out how to turn it into a vector image. I imagine it really improved the final engraving. And worth every penny!

Back to that Clockwork Angels tour bootleg 
atsmile.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,069 of 3,417
Hey guys, I am considering on getting this amp. My current setup right now is the cmoy bbv2.02 with brainwavz hm5. Do you guys think ill notice much of a difference if I upgrade to this amp?

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #1,070 of 3,417
I must say, the black end plates looks pretty sleek, but silver might be a better match with the red C5 (in my opinion). I don't know too many electronic products that use a red/black combination.

I want to graciously thank jseaber for sending me a pair, it was really nice of you.
smily_headphones1.gif

A note about the sound. I was doing some walking around the city today and I noticed that bass boost + low gain sounded different from bass boost + high gain. I'm not sure if it's due to a higher distortion, but the bass boost + high gain seemed to be less fatiguing and the bass was a bit boomier compared to the bass boost + low gain. Of course volume matching is hard to do if you're mobile listening, so it might be due to my inability to properly volume match.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,071 of 3,417
Nice looking amp you have there.
I'm using the slate cover and now thinking of changing to all-black cover to match AK100.

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #1,072 of 3,417
Tube sound to me is all about lushness, and I didn't hear that in E12. Didn't notice the mid is being laid-back as well.If anything, I find O2 more laid back in overall presentation. In fact, I'll say C5 is more forwarded than both O2 and E12. Well, perhaps forward is not the right words - I think C5 has shallower depth, kind of the opposite to E12.

First of all, great review on the H200 clieos. I currently have them paired with the E11 but I'm looking into upgrading my amp.

I still can't decide between the C5 and E12; was hoping you can give me some insights on which amp pairs better with the H200s. For me, the less coloration in sound sig, the better.

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #1,073 of 3,417
Quote:

A note about the sound. I was doing some walking around the city today and I noticed that bass boost + low gain sounded different from bass boost + high gain. I'm not sure if it's due to a higher distortion, but the bass boost + high gain seemed to be less fatiguing and the bass was a bit boomier compared to the bass boost + low gain. Of course volume matching is hard to do if you're mobile listening, so it might be due to my inability to properly volume match.

The bass boost curve changes between low and high gain. You're hearing a genuinely different frequency response!

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,074 of 3,417
I must say, the black end plates looks pretty sleek, but silver might be a better match with the red C5 (in my opinion). I don't know too many electronic products that use a red/black combination.

I want to graciously thank jseaber for sending me a pair, it was really nice of you. :)

Thats really sexy. Man...

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #1,075 of 3,417
Quote:
First of all, great review on the H200 clieos. I currently have them paired with the E11 but I'm looking into upgrading my amp.

I still can't decide between the C5 and E12; was hoping you can give me some insights on which amp pairs better with the H200s. For me, the less coloration in sound sig, the better.

If it is H-200, I'll say it pairs better with C5.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #1,076 of 3,417
Jun 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,077 of 3,417
Quote:
Really really sexy. I didn't like the red color for an amp, but that way... I like it!

Same here.  I mean, I did think the red was sexy, but the plates were keeping me from loving it and I didn't even know it.  Now the black plates make it look awesome.  It went from valentines to bad@ss. haha

Quote:
Quote:

The bass boost curve changes between low and high gain. You're hearing a genuinely different frequency response!

I just tried this too and found that you're right!  I do hear a difference.  I've never used the high-gain mode much, because I haven't needed the power, but the bass sounds a touch louder at the lowest end when you compare bass boosts.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #1,078 of 3,417
The black plates with the original C5 case looks good but the current batch case with black plates look even better!
Below is a comparison between my original C5 case and the new case and black plates although it houses the ODAC instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back