Jean Michel Jarre-"new" Oxygene
Jan 8, 2009 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Adu

500+ Head-Fier
What do you think about his last master recording?
I think that the sound it's too loud recorded, I prefer much more the previous versions of his LP's 24/96 from Sony.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 7
I concur that it lacks macrodynamic and microdynamic refinement, but it is slightly cleaner sounding all in all than the stock CD from the original recording.

The MFSL version is my favourite.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MFSL version is my favourite.

For us peons from the bum end of the island, what's MFSL mean?

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc. - Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, Inc.

Limited production runs of albums mastered from the original master tapes. They have some stunning releases, and a lot of the OOP titles are friggin expensive as hell.

Oh yeah Oxygene MFSL sounds fantastic, but my fav in terms of recording quality and sheer immersive quality is Aero. It makes a good stereo system sound like an all out surround sound system, terrific stuff.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah Oxygene MFSL sounds fantastic, but my fav in terms of recording quality and sheer immersive quality is Aero. It makes a good stereo system sound like an all out surround sound system, terrific stuff.

You're right. AERO it's fantastic recording!

Feb 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 7
The AERO recording may have all that super-stereo about it but its far from the best sounding version, unless those swoopy tricks are all you're after. Here are some waveforms for Oxygene Part II.

Original CD Release:

Original%20Oxygene%202.jpg

2008 New Master Recording:

New%20Master%20Oxygene%202.jpg

MFSL Version:

MFSL%20Oxygene%202.jpg

AERO Version:

AERO%20Oxygene%202.jpg

Live In Your Living Room (From the DVD):

Living%20Room%20Oxygene%202.jpg

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 7
Aero is louder than the others, and is not as much "in control" as the mofi release, but that might well be because of the mastering techniques used on the album. The ability to throw effects all around you and even behind you from just two speakers is simply incredible and has to be experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back