JH 3a/ amp/ dac/ itunes
Feb 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

theoriesoftopix

New Head-Fier
OK, so I'm new here and I have a number of questions related to the Jh 3a amp, the algorhytm solo, and itunes. 
If any of you could answer any of my questions it would be appreciated!

(1) I started downloading a bunch of songs in flac quality today, and then converted them to wave audio with 32 bit and 96 khz sample rate. It went into itunes just fine, will it work with my iphone as well? Also how will it output the file(through line out)?

(2) How well would the Solo work with the JH 3a?

(3) How much of a benefit would be seen by using a seperate DAC instead of the one already in the Solo? (If it improves do you have any suggestions for the DAC?)

(4) Would this combo still sound good(great) with 320 kbps mp3 audio?

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Solo is a DAC/Amp? I'm not sure you need to look into getting another DAC unless you think you've found one that is better than the Solo's, and that the Solo's Amp is so good it warrants keeping the unit (instead of just buying a DAC and an Amp to replace the Solo).

Anyway: I don't think the JH-3A is out yet. There is, however, a discussion thread on how people are going to feed it:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505376/jh3a-how-will-you-feed-it

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Well yes, I knew that the solo had a dac inside it, but on the thread for it there was some discussion as to how sound would be nefit with a different dac. Also some have request cables to go from the straight out jack of the solo to go directly to the JH 3a in order to use the dac inside of it (i think) but wouldn't the solo have a superior dac than the JH 3a considering thats the only thing it does?

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
OK, so I'm new here and I have a number of questions related to the Jh 3a amp, the algorhytm solo, and itunes. 

(1) I started downloading a bunch of songs in flac quality today, and then converted them to wave audio with 32 bit and 96 khz sample rate. It went into itunes just fine, will it work with my iphone as well? Also how will it output the file(through line out)?

(2) How well would the Solo work with the JH 3a?

(3) How much of a benefit would be seen by using a seperate DAC instead of the one already in the Solo? (If it improves do you have any suggestions for the DAC?)

(4) Would this combo still sound good(great) with 320 kbps mp3 audio?

Thanks!

(1)  I don't think itune and ipod can out put more than 16/44 or 16/48 through it LOD.

(2)  No one knows as the Solo and the JH3a is not out yet but on paper they should sound pretty good.

(3)  From everything we know, the DAC in the Solo should be pretty good.  You may want to use it for a while before trying to change it.

(4)   It will sound good but using Apple lossless will be better.  Why bother spending so much money on gears if you don't want to use the best format?

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 17
(In response to Jalo)

So does that mean that itunes could place the files in my iphone in their original state, except that it would output as 16 bit 48khz OR
does that mean that itunes will automatically downconvert them to 16/48 as I sync my ipod?

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:

Thanks!

1- Just a question here : Are the flac files you've downloaded encoded in 32bits and 96khz sample rate ? If not then you won't see any benefit in transcoding them with these settings.
As to the capability of Ipod and Iphones, at least the last generations (4) can deal with 24bits/48khz files, as far as I know. But anything higher will only be playable on your computer. 

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
1- Just a question here : Are the flac files you've downloaded encoded in 32bits and 96khz sample rate ? If not then you won't see any benefit in transcoding them with these settings.
As to the capability of Ipod and Iphones, at least the last generations (4) can deal with 24bits/48khz files, as far as I know. But anything higher will only be playable on your computer. 

Yeah they are 32/96. Does that mean that if I try to sync my iphone I wont be able to do so?

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Yeah they are 32/96. Does that mean that if I try to sync my iphone I wont be able to do so?

If you tried to sync these files with your ipod/iphone, it just wouldn't work or the files would be transcoded into 24/48. I don't remember what happened the last time I tried, but I think it just didn't work and I had to recode the files.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
(In response to Jalo)

So does that mean that itunes could place the files in my iphone in their original state, except that it would output as 16 bit 48khz OR
does that mean that itunes will automatically downconvert them to 16/48 as I sync my ipod?

I know itune can play high res file on the computer.  I also know that iphone/ipod will down convert to 16/24 bit 48khz through it LOD.  However, I do not know whether the down convertion happens in iphone or when you syn with the iphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back