JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 23, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #286 of 1,931
I don't think he ever claimed it to be dead neutral and an odd assumption with a history of bass enhanced and bass control. Just low distortion, extended and adjustable. He's always bumped the treble on his bass heavy phones to accommodate the extra weight.
 The pricing is similar to non adjustable flagships from other makers. Don't get me wrong. You don't need to agree or like a product any product but buying before a listen isn't on the maker. It's also possible the JH actually likes AK, Jerry was personally using an AK120 before their association. I know I like them and not because they are the absolute best sounding. They are, for me and likely JH, the overall best package and at that end of the market, pricing becomes very relative. If one's looking for bargains get a DX90 or used AK100 MK2 with JH5, 1964 V3,  Noble 4a etc.Or JH13s like I did. I never understood price complaints when already choosing to participate in the premium priced end of the market. Impulse buys often come with remorse but aren't a maker's fault. They could be the best thing on Earth and not everybody would like them. I'd never buy without a listen and when I did listen to the Rox and K10, I didn't feel the need to change. Others did. Viva la difference!
I don't understand why everybody wants to go around facts. Just because you love your JH13 does not mean you have to agree with JH in all cases. JH clearly stated that the Roxannes was and would be the flagship of the series. And that was visibly not true. What is so complicated with understanding that it was a lie and some people don't like lies. Why is everybody trying to interpret what we feel. THEY LIED. FACT. THEY TOOK 10 MONTHS TO DELIVER THE INITIAL PRODUCT AND HAD TO DO MANY REFITS BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MASTER THEIR PRODUCTION PROCESS.FACT. I need neither you patronizing or analyzing me. Man, posing as a Wiseman who is past all the petty vices of common headfiers is getting old.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #287 of 1,931
As a Roxanne CIEM user, I m quite curious about the sound of Layla.

just trying 3 drivers UERM n think back hows the sound changing from my 4 drivers westone4R to 12 drivers roxanne, thicker? Neutrality rules? Cant wait to try layla demo very soon.

But usd2500 for universal fit, um hum....

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #288 of 1,931
Andy Regan's and Jerry Harvey's Layla and Angie launch and their partnership with A&K at the e-Earphone Winter Festival 2014 :-

Andy Regan's presentation

Jerry Harvey's presentation

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #289 of 1,931

But for Roxanne  owners I can't see the problem, why everyone wants to have most expensive and latest iem regardless of sound? Why would Roxanne owner feel damaged with new Layla? 
People who went to Roxanne wanted it's sound signature and if they didn't want sound like that there were alternatives, now all of them suddenly want flat Layla and feel betrayed by JH because they don't have most expensive one? I don't get it. 

Hey, I didn't drink the kool-aid, nor did I buy the Roxanne based on prestige alone. To be purely frank, I bought the Roxanne because I wanted the sound it promised to deliver, and it was the best JHA had to offer (at that time). In any case, I love to have different types of earphones to experience a multitude of sound signatures - for example, I have the K10 and the Roxanne, 2 rather different IEMs in identity.

In this instance, I purchased my Roxanne in September, before my K10. Thus, if I had known of the Layla's pending introduction in December, I would have delayed my purchase of the Roxanne, until an apt time when I could compare all 3 IEMs together (K10, Roxanne, Layla).

Nevertheless, even though I may never fully agree with what has transpired, this whole issue is water under the bridge now. I am still as stoked as ever to audition the Layla. 
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #290 of 1,931
  I am still as stoked as ever to audition the Layla. 
smile.gif

I can't wait for y'all to hear both the Layla and the Angie.  Regardless of whether anyone here plans to purchase or not, for whatever reason, I'd still love for y'all to hear them.  
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #291 of 1,931
I'd like to hear them, the K10s, the NT-6s and a bunch of others. Lots to choose from these days. All great with different sound signatures. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #292 of 1,931

Actually YOU are missing the point. The Roxanne was never sold as being colored to begin with...

I don't recall the Roxanne being sold as a dead-flat, reference studio monitor either. Still, even though my Roxanne custom is not dead-neutral to my ears, it is certainly neutral-ish with its bass turned to its flattest (lowest) position. I go to Chesky Records' recording sessions when I can, and was at one a couple of weeks ago. I was traveling very light, so only took IEMs with me.

For monitoring during recording, I chose the Roxanne; and going back and forth from the live performances to the studio, the Roxanne was an outstanding monitor, both tonally, and where imaging was concerned.

Mimouille, it's clear you're obviously very upset over the Layla's release. My advice is to enjoy your Roxanne, as it's an amazing headphone, and not regret your purchase of it if you're otherwise happy with its performance.

The Layla is not priced similarly to the Roxanne--it's nearly double the price of the Roxanne. (I'm not sure what the custom Layla price will be, but I'm guessing it'll be more expensive than the universal.)

For me personally, until the Layla is available in custom form, the Roxanne and the Kaiser 10 will be my current go-to IEMs.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #293 of 1,931
I don't recall the Roxanne being sold as a dead-flat, reference studio monitor either. Still, even though my Roxanne custom is not dead-neutral to my ears, it is certainly neutral-ish with its bass turned to its flattest (lowest) position. I go to Chesky Records' recording sessions when I can, and was at one a couple of weeks ago. I was traveling very light, so only took IEMs with me.

For monitoring during recording, I chose the Roxanne; and going back and forth from the live performances to the studio, the Roxanne was an outstanding monitor, both tonally, and where imaging was concerned.

Mimouille, it's clear you're obviously very upset over the Layla's release. My advice is to enjoy your Roxanne, as it's an amazing headphone, and not regret your purchase of it if you're otherwise happy with its performance.

The Layla is not priced similarly to the Roxanne--it's nearly double the price of the Roxanne. (I'm not sure what the custom Layla price will be, but I'm guessing it'll be more expensive than the universal.)

For me personally, until the Layla is available in custom form, the Roxanne and the Kaiser 10 will be my current go-to IEMs.

I get the message, I will not talk about this further. The mass will always win. For your information, I am not Very upset about this. My upset reactions were towards people patronizing me.

I find it a bit of a cheap shot to point to me as the guy who is very upset and likes to complain, especially after I explained to you by PM what bothered me. I am not the only one to be upset and you know it.

And thanks for your advice to enjoy my Roxanne, would never have thought about it.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #294 of 1,931
I get the message, I will not talk about this further. The mass will always win. For your information, I am not Very upset about this. My upset reactions were towards people patronizing me.

I find it a bit of a cheap shot to point to me as the guy who is very upset and likes to complain, especially after I explained to you by PM what bothered me. I am not the only one to be upset and you know it.

And thanks for your advice to enjoy my Roxanne, would never have thought about it.

The message? There is no message intended beyond what I posted. I say what I mean. If you want to keep posting as you have, go right ahead.

Cheap shot? I was not patronizing you. I was acknowledging what was obvious (that you're upset), and made no suggestion about how you or anyone else should feel about the Layla's release. (Some are excited about it, and some aren't.) I did suggest that you make the best of an excellent headphone in the one you've got.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #295 of 1,931
I don't understand why everybody wants to go around facts. Just because you love your JH13 does not mean you have to agree with JH in all cases. JH clearly stated that the Roxannes was and would be the flagship of the series. And that was visibly not true. What is so complicated with understanding that it was a lie and some people don't like lies. Why is everybody trying to interpret what we feel. THEY LIED. FACT. THEY TOOK 10 MONTHS TO DELIVER THE INITIAL PRODUCT AND HAD TO DO MANY REFITS BECAUSE THEY DID NOT MASTER THEIR PRODUCTION PROCESS.FACT. I need neither you patronizing or analyzing me. Man, posing as a Wiseman who is past all the petty vices of common headfiers is getting old.

You can buy a flagship car right now and next year it will be replaced by a slightly upgraded 2016 model. Does that mean the manufacturer lied when they sold you the 2015 model? Come on Mimouille, I tend to respect your posts since you are quite experienced, but you are getting silly now. If your recent ordering experience has left a sour taste in your mouth and you wouldn't do business with JHA again, then move along...

In this instance, I purchased my Roxanne in September, before my K10. Thus, if I had known of the Layla's pending introduction in December, I would have delayed my purchase of the Roxanne, until an apt time when I could compare all 3 IEMs together (K10, Roxanne, Layla).

Do you want them to send out a memo to all their customers 6 months ahead?

I can't wait for y'all to hear both the Layla and the Angie.  Regardless of whether anyone here plans to purchase or not, for whatever reason, I'd still love for y'all to hear them.  
smile.gif

I wish I could say the same. JHA's universal design is not one that will ever fit in my ear properly so personally I can't draw any conclusion from an audition. I tried a universal Roxanne and it sounded like total crap, probably because the fit was like I was trying to stick a thumb in my ear. Sounded absolutely nothing like my custom, fit plays a huge part in the equation. I bought the Roxanne pretty much blind folded because on paper it proposed much of what JH13/16 lack. And sure enough it turned out exactly how I imagined it, and I frankly don't see much room for improvement to justify another purchase until we miniaturize and maybe go wireless with inductive charging, if it ever becomes feasible.

I did suggest that you make the best of an excellent headphone in the one you've got.

Well said.

One last thing, here's food for thought:

Angie and Layla offer supposedly the same new technologies. New proprietary drivers, stainless steel wave guides, 4th order cross overs, bla bla bla. The difference is pretty much 2 low and 2 mid drivers, and of course slightly different crossover tuning to accommodate that. So clearly, Layla's price isn't due to the new design or materials. So how do we go from $1100 to $2500? I mean, if nearly the same monitor can be built for $1100, then:

1) Those 4 extra drivers are magic at $350 a piece and Roxanne is a bargain, or 2) flagship status in partnership with AK justifies the extra $1400.

Hmm .... 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #296 of 1,931

smile.gif

Well, if the Layla bests the K10, then... 
wink.gif

Btw, Warren, what would make you go ahead and purchase one? Your earlier impressions were very positive, so if this good vibe continues with further listening sessions, will you be tempted to get a Layla?

Do you want them to send out a memo to all their customers 6 months ahead?

Well, in a perfect world, it would be nice for companies to provide a roadmap of progression for its customers months in advance. But hey, we're not. Hence, in this regard, my disappointment is an emotion that is entirely of my own doing.

Nevertheless, I have very much accepted the situation that has developed. To be honest, I am no longer bitter about this situation. I am simply waiting for the Layla to arrive to experience, first hand, just how good they are.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #297 of 1,931
From the pictures so far it looks like layla and angie are HUGE earpieces. Maybe JH audio should think about improving ergonomics and fit before they hype their products. At this point its not much of a choice for me between se846 and angie if the angie sticks out so much like the layla does.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #298 of 1,931
  From the pictures so far it looks like layla and angie are HUGE earpieces. Maybe JH audio should think about improving ergonomics and fit before they hype their products. At this point its not much of a choice for me between se846 and angie if the angie sticks out so much like the layla does.

I can't remember if I've seen a picture of the Layla and Angie together. Anyway, the Angie seems similar in size to the Layla - which means it is HUGE. It would be nice if they could make the universals a bit taller (rather than deeper) so they don't stick out of your ears that much.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #299 of 1,931
  I can't remember if I've seen a picture of the Layla and Angie together. Anyway, the Angie seems similar in size to the Layla - which means it is HUGE. It would be nice if they could make the universals a bit taller (rather than deeper) so they don't stick out of your ears that much.

The Angie is a bit smaller than the Layla. I'll see if I have a photo of them together, and will post it if I do. If I don't, I'll take one later.

Keep in mind, however, that the Angie I have here at the moment is a red chrome finish--the production version will be in a black/red kevlar fiber (which I can't imagine will have any impact on size).

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #300 of 1,931

The Angie is a bit smaller than the Layla. I'll see if I have a photo of them together, and will post it if I do. If I don't, I'll take one later.

Keep in mind, however, that the Angie I have here at the moment is a red chrome finish--the production version will be in a black/red kevlar fiber (which I can't imagine will have any impact on size).

Thanks, Jude. I'm sure interested parties would be hoping that the Angie would be a bit more petite in size. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back