JH Audio Lola Impressions and Discussions
Feb 22, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #691 of 739
I can't believe that, for so many years, I've been dealing with tips that don't fit my ears well. In addition to the increased comfort, the isolation is fantastic. I find that I am also enjoying music at lower volumes. There is something to be said here for protecting against hearing loss.
Definitely. We need and must listen to much lower volumes.

I had similar problems, since I went customs I can't handle any uni anymore, aside from InEar SD5 or any from them as they fit like a custom.

Are the Lola's Carbon Fiber heavier than what you're expecting?

Feb 22, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #692 of 739
Led Zeppelin IV through the Hiby R8 to Lola sounds fantastic.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #693 of 739
Definitely. We need and must listen to much lower volumes.

I had similar problems, since I went customs I can't handle any uni anymore, aside from InEar SD5 or any from them as they fit like a custom.

Are the Lola's Carbon Fiber heavier than what you're expecting?
I don't notice the weight, though I'm not sure if I had expectations around that one. They are a bit larger than I had thought they would be. While I was a bit concerned about this initially, the customs fit so well into my ear that it isn't an issue. I really do love the way the sound. They are just detailed enough, but without sounding analytical. I've been using them a ton. Mostly with the Hugo2, but sometimes with a Dragonfly Cobalt out of an iPhone.

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #694 of 739
In January I received my pair of custom Lolas. I've been enjoying them with the Hugo2. It is a wonderful combination!
IMG_2644.jpg
Wow those are beautiful. I listen to my universal Lola’s for hours on end... i’ve been wanting to get some custom IEMs but it’s tough to get impressions made b/c of Covid and CANJAM being canceled

Feb 22, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #696 of 739
Wow those are beautiful. I listen to my universal Lola’s for hours on end... i’ve been wanting to get some custom IEMs but it’s tough to get impressions made b/c of Covid and CANJAM being canceled
Thanks. I agree, logistics to get the impressions were the toughest part. I think that it took me about six weeks to get the appointment on the calendar. I felt super safe though and the customs were very much worth the wait. PM me if you are in CA as I would highly recommend the audiologist I used. Fingers crossed that the numbers keep heading in the right direction.

Are you going to stick with Lolas or move to something else when you go with customs?

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #697 of 739
I've historically avoided JH due to the notorious upper mids recessesion, and a borrowed Layla confirmed my suspicions.

That said, between the Lightning Strike faceplates and reviews that the upper mids were fine finally lead me to pull the trigger last December.

So far most listening has been off the stock 3.5 and the mids require a bit of power to shine. I ended up getting the 2 pin to 4 pin adapters from Linsoul after trying to find a good cable that would not cost an arm and a leg. Had a cable on the way, but thats been with Fedex for over a week.

With an actual graph posted from Crin for the Lola just last week, I was surprised to see that upper mid recession there. Try as I might, I just couldn't hear it at all unlike the Layla. Super odd.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:10 AM Post #698 of 739
I've historically avoided JH due to the notorious upper mids recessesion, and a borrowed Layla confirmed my suspicions.

That said, between the Lightning Strike faceplates and reviews that the upper mids were fine finally lead me to pull the trigger last December.

So far most listening has been off the stock 3.5 and the mids require a bit of power to shine. I ended up getting the 2 pin to 4 pin adapters from Linsoul after trying to find a good cable that would not cost an arm and a leg. Had a cable on the way, but thats been with Fedex for over a week.

With an actual graph posted from Crin for the Lola just last week, I was surprised to see that upper mid recession there. Try as I might, I just couldn't hear it at all unlike the Layla. Super odd.
Gald that you decided to give it a chance.

As usual we need to look the graph as a whole, the deep is there, but the rest of the graph shows where it's compensated. Lola is the best for mids in JH line up, as you noticed.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #699 of 739
Gald that you decided to give it a chance.

As usual we need to look the graph as a whole, the deep is there, but the rest of the graph shows where it's compensated. Lola is the best for mids in JH line up, as you noticed.
Still pretty new to graph reading. What would you say compensates for that recession?

@riverground and I discussed this over text and we ended up getting lost.

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #700 of 739

i have recently bought a pair of used laylas and found crin's graph to be no help at all. i have moondrop blessing2 which should have a much higher mid emphasis than layla but i don't hear it. mids on layla are niceand sweet, andto my ears better than on b2, not recessed at all. maybe the all-around resolution improvements of jh over moondrop makes the difference. is the lola that much different than layla that one would notice?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #701 of 739
i have recently bought a pair of used laylas and found crin's graph to be no help at all. i have moondrop blessing2 which should have a much higher mid emphasis than layla but i don't hear it. mids on layla are niceand sweet, andto my ears better than on b2, not recessed at all. maybe the all-around resolution improvements of jh over moondrop makes the difference. is the lola that much different than layla that one would notice?
I have a specific preference for the upper mid range region and a lot of my iems have a huge bump in the area.

So in the case of the Laylas it was immediately evident when the vocalist hit that range. Same track on the Lola's they're acting like there's no dip, arguably they sound close to my upper mid boosted stuff.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #702 of 739
Still pretty new to graph reading. What would you say compensates for that recession?

@riverground and I discussed this over text and we ended up getting lost.
When looking the graph, the gap between the peaks and deeps are not much different, until it gets to 7k+, with that boost. So it will rather be a balanced signature from low to high mids. That deep will most likely bring the vocal forward in the mix as some of the singers can sing around 4-6kz.

Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Lola-Half.jpg
    Lola-Half.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #703 of 739
I had the same problem. Found a hearing aid doctor’s office. They had a lot of experience with making molds. I believe it cost me $40

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #704 of 739

I had the same problem. Found a hearing aid doctor’s office. They had a lot of experience with making molds. I believe it cost me $40

If you choose to purchase CIEMs from JH, since a lot of their processes are done via 3D-printing now, you could try asking for the scans they've taken of your raw ear impressions. If you have those .STL files, the next time you purchase a CIEM, you can send those scans instead of the silicone ear moulds. Of course, the company has to be able to work with them, but there are many that do, nowadays. That'll save you the time and money it takes to take the impressions and ship them out.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #705 of 739
If you choose to purchase CIEMs from JH, since a lot of their processes are done via 3D-printing now, you could try asking for the scans they've taken of your raw ear impressions. If you have those .STL files, the next time you purchase a CIEM, you can send those scans instead of the silicone ear moulds. Of course, the company has to be able to work with them, but there are many that do, nowadays. That'll save you the time and money it takes to take the impressions and ship them out.

I sent JH Audio my 64 Audio A12t and they scanned it. This can be an option if you already have a good fitting IEM rather than paying for another ear impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back