Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child
Jul 13, 2001 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
Back on the HeadWize forums, someone recommended this 2-CD set as not only a better selection of music, but also as a better quality recording than "The Ultimate Experience."

I found it used today for $17 so I snatched it up. The first CD has 18 of his best songs, while the second CD contains live renditions of 12 songs, recorded in various venues from 1967 - 1970. There's an overlap of only three songs between the two CDs: Fire, Hey Joe, and Purple Haze.

I was really disappointed in the sound quality on "The Ultimate Experience." Evidently, so was Jimi's family. According to the liner notes, "Over the last five years, Experience Hendrix, the production company formed by the guitarist's surviving relatives, has worked diligently to put his majestic catalog in order." I was pleased to hear (literally) that the sound quality in this collection is MUCH better than on "Ultimate" -- while not the best recording ever, this one at least makes you go "wow!" quite a few times as you hear some of the things Jimi could do with a guitar and a tape loop. I can't say the same about the older collection.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the live recordings are EXCELLENT -- I usually am not a fan of live recordings, but these are FUN! /EDIT

If you're a Jimi fan, or even if you're not, GET this collection. It belongs in anyone's music collection.

Jul 14, 2001 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, I was the one who recommended this set.
biggrin.gif
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Jul 15, 2001 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Hey all! This is my 1st post in this forum and I thought that it would be fitting that it was in this thread. I have heard the Voodoo Child cd and there is a marked improvement over the Ultimate collection. We also have to remember that the technology now is much better than it was in 1993. I still think that picking only 18 of his "best" studio songs is doing Jimi a disservice. I have all of his cd's including all of the remasters, South Saturn Delta and Voodoo Soup and there is no way that I could just pick only 18 of his songs without leaving out many others that I like just as much. I recently burned a compilation of Hendrix for my sister on two 80 minute cd's and still had problems deciding which songs I should leave out!
Anyway, I'd like to strongly recommend to all of you a Jimi tribute cd by a man named Jean Paul Bourelly. The cd is called "Tribute To Jimi" and can be found at any online cd store as well as most any record store chains. This man has done Jimi justice like no other Hendrix interpreter could ever dream. You can check him out at - www.bourelly.com/ Looking forward to many more discussions of Jimi and all of the other great guitarists that we have the pleasure of enjoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back