JM Audio Editions XTC Headphones
May 17, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #1,127 of 1,187
I'm trying to decide and would appreciate opinions. Should I aim for the XTC 2 or the XTC^2.5? I've never had a closed back and I feel the soundstage may be a tiny bit lacking in comparison. Current main headphone is the Aryas Stealth, sold my Aeolus last night. Using a D90III with the A90, as well as a TA-20Plus and the Bottlehead Crack (both fed with A90 a preamp). Just wanted to hear some opinions overall.

May 17, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #1,128 of 1,187
I'm trying to decide and would appreciate opinions. Should I aim for the XTC 2 or the XTC^2.5? I've never had a closed back and I feel the soundstage may be a tiny bit lacking in comparison. Current main headphone is the Aryas Stealth, sold my Aeolus last night. Using a D90III with the A90, as well as a TA-20Plus and the Bottlehead Crack (both fed with A90 a preamp). Just wanted to hear some opinions overall.
I have both. I am always drawn to the open back unless I need the isolation for late night or early morning listening where the open back may annoy someone. I would describe the 2.5 as a little more intimate with incredible detail. For a closed back a very large soundscape, but not quite the experience with the XTC2. The XTC2 is where I would start with an eye on the 2.5 down the road.

May 17, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #1,129 of 1,187

If you never had closed back then for sure 2.5. They have great soundstage for closed back, in fact it took me few days to get use to it. It feels like I am in a spacious room listening to speakers. Their bass is more impactful comparing to the open backs plus the isolation has its qualities. For example sometimes I put closed backs first without any music just to enjoy the sound isolation from my daily routine. It helps a lot to focus more on the actual sound and also to feel their amazing bass. Me on the other side adding some open back soon just to add a contrast into my small collection. They are great headphones so you will probably ending up getting them both eventually :)

May 17, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #1,130 of 1,187
John was kind enough to send me a pair of his new pads for the XTC2’s to try out. I have been using the fuzzy pads, which I love. The new ones are quite a bit thicker moving the driver further off your ear and with more volume inside the pad. The effect is not subtle in my case. It in essence lowers the noise floor with all the associated effects - more of everything to put it simply. I ordered a second pair for my other XTC2’s. Now John just needs to do a fuzzy version! 🤣 Do give them a shot - who knew pads can make such a diff. 🤷‍♂️
I for one am interested to know more about them. Any picture, référence, availability?
Thanks for the following!

May 18, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #1,131 of 1,187
Hi All, just got my XTC Open 2.0 and I was wondering which DAC/Amp with 4.4mm/XLR4 is the best pairing around € 1000.
Right now I'm selling my RME ADI-2 Pro and looking for something better.
John suggested the iBasso DC Elite that seems a really good choice and the DAC used it's really interesting.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards

May 18, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #1,132 of 1,187
If you shop around you can probably get a used Burson Conductor Reference or maybe GT for around that. With the XTC2 it’s a perfect pairing in my opinion.

May 18, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #1,133 of 1,187
If you shop around you can probably get a used Burson Conductor Reference or maybe GT for around that. With the XTC2 it’s a perfect pairing in my opinion.
It’s probably the best implementation of the ESS DAC I have heard by the way.

May 18, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #1,135 of 1,187
Check out Burson’s demo sales.
Also check out the Matrix Audio Mini i4 Pro. Also an exemplary implementation of the ESS DAC. You get a very capable streamer as well. The HPA is on par with the Benchmark HPA2 with a much better DAC implementation in my opinion.

May 18, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #1,136 of 1,187
For under 1k iBasso DX260 is really good. Brand new tech, I am breaking mine in, can't wait to see it's full potential, it is very good for this price. Imaging is really good for this price point, and this is XTC strong point it goes together nicely. I also got my DX320 with 2 amplifiers, one is a tube amp, it cost about $1100 used with both amps. The ibasso reference tuning is nice with the XTC, never a lack of timbre with warm and detailed tuning and XTC do a nice job of extracting what there is from these things. It's a solid tuning the DAPs have, never bad on anything. These DAPs surpass my DAC/AMPs like the mojo 2 and gryphon. Got to love to be able to comfortably listen anywhere and no need of a cable to connect, downloading on to the DAP is nice for SQ and the ability to manage it with a screen. Desktop amp does go on beyond it all but it can be a rabbit hole and does not fit the budget to properly setup an amp which goes beyond just an amp and have to budget for other things. If I knew I had clean power I would skip the DAPs but if there is a computer sharing the circuit or the electrical grid which commonly has issues it will show up and degrade the sound of the amp during the day and the DAP might not hit as hard but will technically have better SQ at those times

May 18, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,137 of 1,187
Check out Burson’s demo sales.
I have the Burson Dac as my backup and I just put 4 Vivid V7 pro opamps, its very good. I use it mostly with my Swan M5A powered speakers

May 20, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #1,138 of 1,187
So I got back my XTC Black Legend series from @John Massaria . He retuned it to Warm Yet Detailed as per my preference. And I have to say I am pretty pleased with the final result. Using them with the fuzzy pads, I can hear a deep reaching bass with a clear but not forward treble. Transparent mids, clean sound but not a bit of sibilance, and yet crisp notes. Very allrounder tuning that suits my use case.

I would like to know why is it written XTC BLACK LEGEND SERIES, what does that mean?

Also, can you good folks suggest a good carrying case for it? The pelican style case is simply too big. Will this be sufficient? https://shop.geekria.com/collection...e-hard-shell-travel-carrying-bag-black-fabric

May 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #1,139 of 1,187
Glad to see JM was able to retune your phones more to your liking.

I have had good luck with Geekria headband covers and their carrying case looks like one that came with my 1More Triple-Driver-Over-Ears phones. You might be able to order this on Amazon as they carry Geekria gear and if they don't work you can return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back