Jungson "Impression" CD-Player (weighs 35kg!)
Jul 14, 2006 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I just stumbled upon Jungson's official site and noticed they have a new flagship CD player, the Impression.

This very Shanling-looking behemoth includes eight PCM1704K DACs, a Philips CD-PRO2M transport and a seperate tube buffer module.

I've no idea what they cost but I'm pretty certain it's more than I can afford!
frown.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosk
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I just stumbled upon Jungson's official site and noticed they have a new flagship CD player, the Impression.

This very Shanling-looking behemoth includes eight PCM1704K DACs, a Philips CD-PRO2M transport and a seperate tube buffer module.

I've no idea what they cost but I'm pretty certain it's more than I can afford!
frown.gif

Hilarious. That thing looks like Star Wars R2D2's head sticking out of the fighter jet.

Its output stage is not what I would personally prefer. It's just OPA627 doing I/V conversion with 2604 op-amps as output, which feeds the add-on tube buffer stage. Not really too exciting...

Jul 15, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 4
But it is a simple output stage that has worked for countless highend players in the past nonetheless.

I am just worried that this cdplayer is based too much on hype. A lot of companies seem to guard how they make their cdplayers sound good. These guys seem to tell you ever single chip they used.
blink.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Perhaps it's to attract customers Garbz?

As a smaller Chinese manufacturer I'm guessing they don't have too much of an advertising budget, and unlike more well-known companies like Rega people won't necessarily rush to buy their latest & greatest unless they're reassured that what's inside isn't completely voodoo - at least that's my guess.

But having never heard any source valued over 1K+ thus far I'm led to wonder just how much of a difference such outlandish designs can make. Not that I'm an audio skeptic, I'm sure it's a better sounding player than their next one down, but I can't help but feel that some of these 'top end' designs are partly about status and impressing one's mates rather than pure sound quality and value.

As for me, if I were about to outlay this sort of change on a player I think I'd rather audition one of the Naim units.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back