Just broke my Shure e500s. Replacement suggestions?
Aug 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HerbM

New Head-Fier
I just discovered a broken stem on my e500. What's even worse, I called Shure and was offered a 535 "replacement" for $250. Ouch.

So I am in need of some sort of replacement and I am loathe to give Shure any more money. Plus, I'm not convinced I need to spend as much this time around. I've done some quick reading hear and I'm wondering what might be on par with the e500s.

Would the Brainwavz B2 come close?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Aug 21, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 19
It might be a bit of a hassle but if you took the $250 replacement, you could probably sell it for more than that can't you? then you would at least end up with something rather than a broken pair of iem.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #4 of 19
What are you looking for in a replacement? More so what sound signature are you after? The Shures are ok but way overrated & overpriced IMO.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 19
If you want balanced warm soundsignature with punchy bass and wider soundstage then GR07 are highly recommended. Other IEMs like Etymotic HF5 are also great buy (very detailed mids, mids highs and decent bass response) but they are little cold sounding and DBA-02 are recommended too.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 19
Rayfabulous: Good suggestion, I might make a $100 or more selling the 535s.

davidcotton: I only discovered reshelling yesterday. I have no idea who does it and what it would run. Suggestions and info?

lee730: The e500s were my first and only IEMs, so I have no idea what is out there sound wise. I guess I thought they could use a little more bass... I probably just needed better seal.

ZARIM: Those GR07s look nice and small. I had just read about the DBA-02s, which seem to get mentioned a lot.

Thank you all for the thoughts. Please feel free to keep them coming.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
Rayfabulous: Good suggestion, I might make a $100 or more selling the 535s.

davidcotton: I only discovered reshelling yesterday. I have no idea who does it and what it would run. Suggestions and info?

lee730: The e500s were my first and only IEMs, so I have no idea what is out there sound wise. I guess I thought they could use a little more bass... I probably just needed better seal.

ZARIM: Those GR07s look nice and small. I had just read about the DBA-02s, which seem to get mentioned a lot.

Thank you all for the thoughts. Please feel free to keep them coming.

Well HerbM tell me exactly what you love most about music? Do you love complete neutrality? Do you like a fun sound with a spacious sound stage? Do you love V-shaped sound? (emphasized treble and bass). Or do you want mid-centric. The Shures are on the mid-centric side. My favorite universal pair of IEMs are my Silver-cabled IE80s and I have to tell you with my source (Studio V, Rocoo BA) these IEMs are on the mid-centric side yet have a very nice and smooth treble, spacious sound stage and lots of bass. I even prefer them to my FX700s which is saying a lot. Lol if you want I have those for sale if you're interested :).

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Well, I think I like fun and a wider soundstage.

I'd say IE80s or FX700 then. If you want PM me and I'll give you details on getting the IE80s for significantly cheaper than retail (authorized dealer). I also have a pair of FX700s up for grabs if you are interested. They don't get enough usage time for me to warrant keeping them honestly.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 19
No problem, I'd definitely do get it and sell it back out.

I upgraded from Shure 420s to 535 Special Editions and I love em. I tried on the W3's and W4R's and it just didn't excite me. My suggestion is that you should really try them out first because in my case (some others) I've grown too accustomed to Shure's sound signature.

Depending where you live, I can get the Reds for cheaper than the normal 535's MSRP. I dont mind helping you out if 535 Reds are one of your options.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 19
How about upgrade your damage IEM at Unique Melody.
I have 530 which isn't damage, but pondering whether worth the upgrade to 6 or 8 driver.
Can't find any decent review on it....

The sound would be unique to your IEM, it will be unlike anything on the market.
But don't know if you like the idea of it?

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 19
piepie22,

At your suggestion, I contacted UM. $170 to re-shell them. That's not including the cost to have an audiologist make molds for me.  I'm on the fence.

I liked my e500s, but I really haven't heard anything else. I am dismayed that they broke and from examining the build, I'd be afraid the same thing would happen to the 535s.

Herb

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Fisher (inearz.com) would be a bit cheaper at a straight reshell with no driver upgrades.  About $90 plus audiologists costs, $30 if you want a detachable cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back