Just got a pair of AH-D400s and I hate them need some suggestions for sub-$250 Open cans (Details inside)
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

M0rph3us

New Head-Fier
First things first. This is my first post here so sorry for any errors in my thread/title. I really like this forum, and have learned quite a bit just reading around so thanks for that. Please let me know if you need additional clarification on anything here.

Ok so here is the deal. Last night I traded my old car subs/amp/cap for a pair of AH-D400s and a Rockstar cooler. These cans were brand new so I figured it was a pretty good deal as I hadn't heard much bad about them. Here are a list of my complaints with them and I would like some suggestions for a different pair.

1) Closed construction. I don't like not being able to hear anything around me so looking for some open headphones.

2) FAR too bass heavy, I don't know if it's because of being closed or what, but I feel like the bass drowns out all the rest of the music.

3) These are made for iPhone/iPod/iPad and I am getting a new phone in 3 weeks that will be android so I will lose the use of the controls on them. I also don't particularly like having the controls as I usually just use the volume controls on my phone. So prefer no controls on them as I feel they get in the way.

4) Cushions seem very stiff. I know this is personal preference, but to give you some idea of what I like I had a pair of HD555s that I think were amazing and felt fantastic on my ears.

This is my list of stuff. Please help me decide.

I am currently leaning towards HD598s, but my only fear is that I will get them super dirty because of the ivory coloring on them. I love the colors, but I'm just scared they will show every bit of dirt on them.

I also would like to get a low impedance pair of cans for now as these will be my traveling cans and will be used mainly with a phone. I would prefer to not have to get an amp for them as that is just one more thing I would have to bring with me and I don't feel like carrying a backpack everywhere.

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to headfi!! Based on your description above, consider:

1. The Sennheiser hd598. It is open and will run well from any device such as your phone. Super comfy and good build quality. They run about $200 shipped from razordogdeal.com.

2. The Hifiman he-400 is a pretty big step up on the sound quality and will still run decently from a phone. It is a much heavier hp and suited for home use mostly. The sound is amazing. It will add bass but will still have a balanced signature. It will run $400

gL!!

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Awesome thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a speaker setup at the house and I rarely use cans while at home so I think the HD598 is probably my best bet then. Now I just need to get rid of these D400s. I may at a later date look into the Hifiman ones since I do have a receiver at the house and adding an amp in wouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back