Just got an amp, looking for new headphones
Apr 6, 2011 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Reagan0mics

New Head-Fier
Okay so I just got an amp, and despite people telling me I wouldn't notice a difference with my current headphones (Sennheiser HD 555's), I notice a difference. I notice the sound stage improved dramatically, everything sounds more tight, I also hear details that I did not hear before. My amplifier also has a bass EQ where I can increase the bass. I think that's good because I always thought my HD 555's lacked a little bass (although I just wanted a bit more bass. I could possibly go for a little more, but bass isn't on the top of my list in terms of what I look for in music). 

So now since I'm really happy with my amplifier, I'm thinking, why not get some new headphones to get my music to sound even better? 

My budget at most is probably around $400 dollars. I would rather not spend that much money, but I'm willing to if it's worth it (I'm a very economical buyer. I look for efficiency in my dollars. I look for bangs for the buck). 

In Amazon I looked at Sennheiser's again. I looked at the HD 595's, 598's, 600's, and 650's (I don't want to spend anymore then the 650).

My question is, is there a big difference between the two 590's I've posted and the 600/650's? Are the 600 series much better then the 590 series?

Also, I've heard that some people can't tell the difference between the 600 and the 650. On amazon these two products have a over $100 dollar difference, so if there's not that much of a difference then I don't see the point of buying the 650's. 

Unfortunately, I don't know the politically correct terms when it comes to audiophilia, however I can tell you things I look for in music.

I love soundstage. That's extremely important and crucial to me. Another thing I look for in headphones is when different instruments/sounds are obviously distinct from each other and not mashed together. I also like hearing new things and details that I wouldn't hear before. I also think I like the music to sound as close to natural as possible. I don't really like artificial sounding headphones (which is my gripe with my brothers Bose. Along with the lack of high's and lows and no sound stage). 

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 3
I may be incorrect... but after reading alot of reviews about the HD598 I hear that it's sound staging is spectacular.

http://www.headfonia.com/hd600-and-hd598-comparison/

http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/

http://www.headfonia.com/old-school-trio-akg-k701-beyer-dt880-sennheiser-hd650/

Sorry for listing alot of links but they are very good reads to be honest. You can learn alot by reading the articles and you can have a general sense of each headphones abilities. Sound is subjective but the author of the blog knows his stuff.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
My budget at most is probably around $400 dollars. I would rather not spend that much money, but I'm willing to if it's worth it (I'm a very economical buyer. I look for efficiency in my dollars. I look for bangs for the buck). 

To get the most bang for your buck, you might consider buying used (unless you're planning to make liberal use of the return policy).  All of my cans I bought used and I saved tons over new.  Also, I'd suggest since you have a handle on how Sennheisers sound, maybe trying different makes to see if a different brand might suit you better.  AKG, Beyer, AT, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back