Just got Sennheiser HD555
May 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
My Sennheiser HD515's were showing some age and plus I had serious upgraditus. So my friend got the 515's "he was using some cheap no names". I ordered the Sennheiser HD555 yesterday and got them today. These headphones are very nice. Very comfortable and sound great! I was afraid there might not be enough low end because of some personal reviews. Glad to say they are perfect "at least for me". As far as movie watching the 555's are by far the best headphones I have used so far. My Apple Macbook laptop has no problem driving these even at higher volumes which is also a big plus and I'm always on the go. Paid $95 through one of the vendors we order are computers through, so I thought it was a great bargain. Just figured I would share some Sennheiser HD555 love
icon10.gif

Previous Headphones

Grado SR60/SR80/SR125/225 Sennheiser HD515, Koss KSC75,Etymotic ER6i, Shure E2c/E4c

May 16, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKazador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't already check out this mod.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...y-mods-282375/

Looks pretty cool. They sound great even right outta the box. I don't think I will be modding them at least anytime soon. Thanks for the info though.

May 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 74
Interesting that you rank HD555 over those Grados. HD555 and 595 are great for rock too, I admit. My HD595s improved some amounts when I had an amp. I guess 555s do the same!

May 16, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 74
The 555s are very underrated cans in headfi. I feel they deserve more recognition than grados in the same price range. I think it might be because a lot of people that have other great cans dismiss them right away when listening before burn in. These are the cans that improved the most with burn in among all the cans ive ever had. The 595s didnt change nearly as much for example.

May 16, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 555s are very underrated cans in headfi. I feel they deserve more recognition than grados in the same price range.

ICK! I don't agree at all.

IMHO, my Alessandro MS-1 and AD900 are far superior to my neighbours HD555. He agrees, and was very mad when he learnt how much the MS-1 cost......

May 16, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 74
hmm, were his cans new? I had my ms1s at the same time I had my 555s. After 100 hours burn in plus 2 months of regular use the 555s were a different can than the one i bought. The ms1s were no match for the 555s IMO. The ms1s just sounded flat and lifeless. Even boring beside the more exciting, more dynamic 555s.

I think I'm starting to notice a trend in my headphone tastes. Since I got my a900s a few days ago, Ive noticed that i tend to prefer cans with less lower treble and more upper highs. Less aggressive yet airier cans

May 16, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 74
Quote:

hmm, were his cans new?

At least a year old.

Quote:

The ms1s just sounded flat and lifeless. Even boring beside the more exciting, more dynamic 555s.

I think you have some strange, strange tastes compared to most people
tongue.gif

I've never heard the MS-1's described as lifeless, and from my own listening the HD555 is like listening through a wall of mud in comparison.

Quote:

I think I'm starting to notice a trend in my headphone tastes

Yes, well all that above being said, I far prefer my AD900 to my MS-1. Smooth, silky, detailed and lively all at the same time.

May 16, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 74
Ive been a very happy owner of the HD555 for more than a year now. I must say these cans are absolutely great, and having owned a pair of SR225, I must say they are definitely underrated cans.With the sr25 taged at twice the price, I think they are just at the HD555 level, because even when they can be more detailed AT SOME ranges of the audio spectrum, they felt lifeless with most music genres, not to mention how uncomfortable they were.

I have to agree with some of the previous posters, the HD555 become a totally different can after several hours of use. At 30 hours they already sound different. But after 100hours they are different cans. I left them playing from my laptop and adter one day and some of continuos play, when i put them on I was shocked. When they were new they were bright and harsh. That siblance went away and now they are simply great. Iveheard they dont benefi all that much from ampklification, but i just got a Headphonia Headstage lyrix and they are even greater. This little amp really makes the highs clearer and the bass boost button offers the most amazing bass boost ive ever heard, making practically no changes to the rest of the spectrum...they simply dont make the can muddy. The pairing is just awesome.

I ordered a pair of HD650 and they havent arrived, but i hope they are really awesome because after so many hours of listening I am still crazy about the hd555, specially after i used my sister's ZVM with her sony earbuds. I wonder how i could ever listen to music sounding sooooo bad.....

Oh, Beefy, i think it is quite unfair to the HD555 to be compared with another HP that it's worth 2.6times as much. if it can be compared that says a lot about them imo.

May 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 74
alitomr,
As for the 555s being compared to more expensive headphones... well, i like them more than the beyer dt990 2005 edition
biggrin.gif

Beefy,
as for the exciting part, different people get excited with different things. A good soundstage just happens to get me excited more than peaky treble. The ms1s are also drier sounding beside the more liquid 555s. The 555s actually have a more convincing soundstage than my ad2000s in my opinion. Thats actually one area that really impresses me abou the 555s. It could be an hrtf thing where the 555 just totally clicks with my ears to have a frequency response that gives me a believable soundstage.

May 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, Beefy, i think it is quite unfair to the HD555 to be compared with another HP that it's worth 2.6times as much. if it can be compared that says a lot about them imo.

I'm sorry, what? I'm saying that the HD555 don't compete with the equivalently priced MS-1's. My more expensive AD900's sound significantly better.

Quote:

The 555s actually have a more convincing soundstage than my ad2000s in my opinion.

I'm very surprised by that. Again, the 555's are a long way behind the AD900 in this respect.

It is clear that we have very different ears.

May 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #13 of 74
Congratulations with your new pair of 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 74
i prefer the Bose triports soundstage and bass response, i guess my ears are way different than you guys too. :p

anyways, the hd555 was a great value headphone--greatintro to headfi and sparked my interests until now... and who nows, maybe beyond? =(

May 16, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations with your new pair of 'phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! Having a lot of fun testing out different movies also
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back