Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Nov 1, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #4,366 of 11,345

Quote:
Anyone tried very fine wood wool or steel wool in place of the cotton balls? 
redface.gif
Not really sure what it would do but I want to try these just for the sake of modding once I get my T50RPs, maybe not the steel wools since it is magnetic.

Steel wool would noooot be the best idea.  If you look a few posts up, though, micmacmo says he got some rayon balls - hasn't tried them out yet though.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #4,367 of 11,345

Quote:
LFF cooked up a great sounding system leaving the stock felt in place.  He got deeper and flatter bass than I have been able to with felts or a bare driver, though I'm now tuned to about -3db at 24Hz, his go lower still (btw, these are both exceptional numbers). 

I've only dabbled in stock felt with cotton to run a few "from stock" exercises to show specific affects of materials.  

Sorry I should have been more specific.  I was kind of stringing my posts together.  I found those improvements when comparing the performance to the black felt with the previous set up that I had.  So to make it clearer: 

If you have 840 pads and are deciding between black felt or no felt (only reflex dot on naked driver + cotton) then I would go with the latter option for more sub-bass.  I have no doubt LFF was able to achieve even lower sub-bass with his set up.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #4,368 of 11,345
wdahm519,

I'm happy to hear you have achieved great sound with your latest mods. If interested, Go to the following link and scroll down to see my October 8th Post 3579:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/3570#post_7810263

There, I reported on the sound of completely naked drivers, plasticine in the baffles, and with Paxmate Plus covering everything in the cups except for the headband hanger screw compartment.  I tried cotton, fiberglass, and poly-fiberfill with this configuration and liked the sound better without any added cup filler material which seemed to reduce bass and veil the midrange.  I did not try a reflex dot.

After your report, below, I wanted to compare 1.5 layers of Transpore Tape over the back of naked drivers, Paxmate Plus filling the entire cup, and damping the baffles to your setup.  So, I removed the Transpore tape from one of my modded sets, added an electrical tape reflex dot on the center grid square of the naked drivers, teased apart 2 "Jumbo" 100% cotton balls and stuffed them in the cups (that's all that would fit), and closed it back up. Note, I did not switch out the Paxmate in the Cup outer rings with plasticine. Instead of ordinary plasticine, I "Flush Mass Loaded" the baffle compartments with my reformulated gray tungsten putty. I already had Dynamat surrounding the drivers on the ear side of the baffles.

FWIW and in MY opinion, the sound is good with [EDIT: my version of] your configuration but it is bass light and thin in the midrange. The treble is very good even with the stock dust covers over the ear side of the drivers and un-modified Shure 840 pads with their dust covers intact. To my ears and with my preferences and equipment (MacBook Pro, Dacmini, glass toslink interconnector, and lossless files), 1.5 to 2.0 layers of Transpore sounds better with this combination of mods.  In this configuration with 1.5 layers of Transpore, instead of cotton + electrical tape reflex dot, over naked drivers there is more bass quantity and the bass quality is more deeply extended, complex, and textured without bleeding or blooming over into the the midrange.  The midrange is lush and clear. The treble is just as extended as your configuration.

Possibly, we used different amounts of cotton and/or teased it to a different density. I doubt, but could be wrong, that plasticine instead of Paxmate in the cup outer rings accounts for any sonic differences. I used tungsten putty Flush Mass Loaded in the baffles instead of plasticine, but I have found that tungsten putty is superior to plasticine and this variable was constant across both configurations.

Paxmate Plus fills the cups. 2 Jumbo 100% cotton balls teased apart and placed in cups. Tungsten putty (gray) Flush Mass Loaded in the baffle compartments. Naked drivers with 1 piece of electrical tape over the center grid square. Dynamat surrounding the drivers on the ear side of the baffles. Shure 840 pads with rear-side"lifters."  Note: The Transpore tape I removed for this mod had been in place for over 8 weeks with no sign of aging, drying, pulling loose, or separating from the drivers.

Close up. Yellow plasticine residue from a previous mod after removing the plasticine and Flush Mass Loading with my reformulated tungsten putty.

Edit: Electrical tape reflex dot on center grids of naked drivers. Paxmate Plus fills the cups except for the central screw compartment. The stock black bass port felt is intact, uncovered, and unobstructed.

2 Jumbo cotton balls teased apart as much as possible to still fit inside the cups. Paxmate Plus fills cups except for central screw compartment and bass port felt which remain uncovered. Paxmate Plus in cup outer rings. Tungsten putty in the baffles. Electrical tape reflex dot.

Identical configuration except 1.5 layers of Transpore tape re-applied, cotton removed, and electrical tape reflex dot removed.

Quote:

Well I guess if your'e going to do that I might as well post the mods that are done to mine so its perfectly clear what I have right now.  I'm not sure if yours is 100% the same:

- SilverStone acoustic foam covering the inside of the cup, no foam on headband hanger stud
- No material on back of driver except for a square of electrical tape on the center square acting as a reflex dot
- Plasticine mass loading the interior side of the baffles and sealing the baffle (plasticine on the "rim")
- Two TRIPLE SIZED cotton balls, teased, inside the cups.  I used two because Mrspeakers and BMF found that something like 6 regular balls sounded best.  2 x 3 (triple) = 6
- Dynamat on ear side of baffle
- Shure 840 pads with cotton ball "bratwurst" underneath rear of the pad to angle the pads

- I also have a leather headband mod still because I find it super comfortable, but that doesn't affect sound so yeah.

Try it if you like, I don't take credit for most of it because its other peoples findings, but it sounds great.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #4,369 of 11,345
Yes, I have opened them and there is no sign of sagging or sliding. I have no reason to believe that this will happen. My tungsten putty is the same consistency and stickiness as plasticine and will never dry out. It 's 66% heavier and more dense than ordinary plasticine, adding clarity and extension to the SQ. I have not seen or tried commercially available tungsten putty but I am going to order some today for testing and comparing with my formula.

Note: I tried to post this reply with my iPhone but there was a connection/uploading problem.  If it goes through after this reply, I apologize in advance for the multiple replies.

Quote:
Have you opened them up since initially doing the mod?  Are you not having any problems with the putty sagging/sliding?  I fear being a putty and also of (relatively) high weight that it would slowly succumb to gravity.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #4,371 of 11,345

Quote:
wdahm519,

After your report, below, I wanted to compare 1.5 layers of Transpore Tape over the back of naked drivers, Paxmate Plus filling the entire cup, and damping the baffles to your setup.  So, I removed the Transpore tape from one of my modded sets, added an electrical tape reflex dot on the center grid square of the naked drivers, teased apart 2 "Jumbo" 100% cotton balls and stuffed them in the cups (that's all that would fit), and closed it back up. Note, I did not switch out the Paxmate in the Cup outer rings with plasticine. Instead of ordinary plasticine, I "Flush Mass Loaded" the baffle compartments with my reformulated gray tungsten putty. I already had Dynamat surrounding the drivers on the ear side of the baffles.

Close up. Yellow plasticine residue from a previous mod after removing the plasticine and Flush Mass Loading with my reformulated tungsten putty.

Identical configuration except 1.5 layers of Transpore tape re-applied, cotton removed, and electrical tape reflex dot removed.

I can easily test this mod, I'll try to do so and post comparative measurements and impressions this weekend.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #4,372 of 11,345
So, I've finished loading the baffles with my Sculpey.  Sculpey does seem to be pretty light...not sure if it's lighter than normal plasticine though.  At any rate, I weighed them and they are now 353g - as opposed to 330g, if the weight as stated on the package is to be believed.  Would that be about normal?

Anyway, I also filled the cups with this quilt filler.  It is really light stuff, not dense at all like normal cotton.  Honestly I can't tell if it makes a difference or not.  But after adding the plasticine, the resonance inside the cup appear to have been dampened significantly...but again, having a stock pair would be very helpful in confirming the exact differences. :p

Oh, also, it looks like BH Photo has the T50RP back in stock now.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #4,373 of 11,345
Just a heads up... As of 1:01pm (CST) Nov 1st 2011: B&H has more T50RP's in Stock.

I'm not sure how long they will last as I was able to pick mine up last week during a small "in stock" window. Waiting to receive my modding materials in the mail before I begin this new addiction.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #4,374 of 11,345
Good to hear. Kryston heavy metal extra or heavy metal plus would be a good putty to look at. Only found one place in the us that carries it though. Supposed to be a particularly heavy tungsten putty.

Yes, I have opened them and there is no sign of sagging or sliding. I have no reason to believe that this will happen. My tungsten putty is the same consistency and stickiness as plasticine and will never dry out. It 's 66% heavier and more dense than ordinary plasticine, adding clarity and extension to the SQ. I have not seen or tried commercially available tungsten putty but I am going to order some today for testing and comparing with my formula.

Note: I tried to post this reply with my iPhone but there was a connection/uploading problem.  If it goes through after this reply, I apologize in advance for the multiple replies.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #4,376 of 11,345

Thanks. I found Kryston online in England and finally found the USA supplier: Big Carp Tackle. They want $20.20 shipped for 0.20 lbs. If my conversion is correct, that's about 91 grams or 3.2 oz. Amazon has 1 oz ranging in price from $10 to $15 per oz, shipped.  So, I will order the Kryston for the advancement of audiological science. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Good to hear. Kryston heavy metal extra or heavy metal plus would be a good putty to look at. Only found one place in the us that carries it though. Supposed to be a particularly heavy tungsten putty.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #4,377 of 11,345
Quote:
Thanks. I found Kryston online in England and finally found the USA supplier: Big Carp Tackle. They want $20.20 shipped for 0.20 lbs. If my conversion is correct, that's about 91 grams or 3.2 oz. Amazon has 1 oz ranging in price from $10 to $15 per oz, shipped.  So, I will order the Kryston for the advancement of audiological science. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Grateful audiophiles from around the globe doff their hats and send you their collective thanks. Always willing to take one for the team, that BMF. :) 

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #4,378 of 11,345
yeah that's the one.  Sorry I didn't post it.  I couldn't remember the name and I was posting from my phone while out with a client and didn't have the time to search it out.  Did you end up going with the "Extra" or the "Plus"?  Either way, let me know how it performs as if it works out well I'll probably pick some up myself =)

Also, I think that ".2lbs" listed on the site is the approximate shipping weight, not the amount of putty.  Not a clue how much putty is in there by weight but I'd imagine it's at least an ounce. This is the only pic I could find that would give a decent idea of how much is in there

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #4,379 of 11,345

Quote:

Grateful audiophiles from around the globe doff their hats and send you their collective thanks. Always willing to take one for the team, that BMF. :) 

beerchug.gif

Quote:
yeah that's the one.  Sorry I didn't post it.  I couldn't remember the name and I was posting from my phone while out with a client and didn't have the time to search it out.  Did you end up going with the "Extra" or the "Plus"?  Either way, let me know how it performs as if it works out well I'll probably pick some up myself =)

Also, I think that ".2lbs" listed on the site is the approximate shipping weight, not the amount of putty.  Not a clue how much putty is in there by weight but I'd imagine it's at least an ounce. This is the only pic I could find that would give a decent idea of how much is in there

Yeah, but I'm hopefully optimistic! USPS shipping cut the price to $14.70. I have an accurate set of electronic scales. I'll measure its weight out of its container and find a way to duplicate its physical volume compared to an equal volume of BMF Tungsten Putty. 
smily_headphones1.gif

HM1 Kryston Heavy Metal Extra - Super Heavyweight Putty
Options:
Strength:  Original - Silt Grey
$8.95   1 $8.95  
Subtotal: $8.95   
Shipping cost: $5.75   

Total: $14.70

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #4,380 of 11,345
BMF,

I find what you say interesting.  I will try and test with no cotton in the cups so ONLY the electrical tape reflex dot this weekend and see what I think.  I'm really busy this week and don't have time to do it until Saturday or so.  However, I found what you said true when comparing amps.  My Bijou tube amp makes the mids sound fuller and gives the bass some added presence where as my little Total Bithead is not up to par.  It leads to thinner sounding mids and slightly weak bass.  

I'm very happy with the balance of the cotton in the cups with tube amps, but I'm also a big fan of tube amps.

Also, I used less cotton than you did per that picture.  My cotton was way thinner.  The Jumbo balls are bigger than the Triple balls, at least here in the East Lansing, MI Kroger where I bought the cotton balls.  

Try thinner cotton and let me know as well what you think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back