Just ordered an iModded iPod from RWA
Jul 6, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
Do people have any particular preference for what they use to transport their iMod/amp setup? I've been looking at bags on Headroom (the Micro strap bag w/ the stand for a portable player) as well as iPod desk stands that put the iPod's screen facing you)...any opinions?

Don't forget to consider the Waterfield Gear Pouch. Headroom is a superb company and their bags are ingeniously designed, but I've found the Gear Pouch to be the best at its price point for my iPod totage. Its various hidden 'roo slits become especially useful when I travel adame (out of the vagitry, so to smirk).

(The Gear Codpiece is rather too small for my iRiver manbulge, however.)

I suppose I haven't iModded my Photo yet because I've avoided effecting my Dominatruss plan of sending in my (and my gf's) 3Gs for a two-for-eine battery upgrade, then using one of the bat'ry co.'s special boxes for extra-careful mailage of my precious Phot (and no, that wasn't meant to be a sound effect). This thread is coaxing me to get on with it, d-r-r-r-rat you, dc-foont.

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #32 of 57
@ dc-guy: It took me a while to figure out a nice way of transporting the iPod + amp. At first I wanted to settle for a feltbag []http://feltbags.de/demand.html] since they do affordable custom stuff. Then I stumbled over []http://www.urbantool.com/]. I ended up buying a basicHolster in black. I now have two pouches, a smaller one for the iPod and a bigger one for my amp. So now I am just waiting for my amp and RnB cable to arrive and I am ready to go.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #33 of 57
The Mountainsmith Vibe II from Ebags is a very good portable bag too. I have one,my 60GB Redwine Ipod,Portaphile V2 amp,cardas mini cable and senn Px-100's all fit nicely. I use it for biking.
But I like the Headroom micro bag the best with belt clip. It is less bulk than any belt bag I can find and doesn't look dorky.
Also the Kavu Hobart satchel bags are nice. I had one of those too.

Cheers,
Robert

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #34 of 57
DC-Foont? What the heck is a DC-foont?
biggrin.gif

Like you, I have a 3G iPod that's going on the fritz...so I decided to get a new one...a better one...c'mon, everyone's doing it!

Not to mention yesterday I spontaneously ordered a pair of AKG DJ81 headphones.

I am a bad influence on myself?
confused.gif

--Marc

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt
Don't forget to consider the Waterfield Gear Pouch. Headroom is a superb company and their bags are ingeniously designed, but I've found the Gear Pouch to be the best at its price point for my iPod totage. Its various hidden 'roo slits become especially useful when I travel adame (out of the vagitry, so to smirk).

(The Gear Codpiece is rather too small for my iRiver manbulge, however.)

I suppose I haven't iModded my Photo yet because I've avoided effecting my Dominatruss plan of sending in my (and my gf's) 3Gs for a two-for-eine battery upgrade, then using one of the bat'ry co.'s special boxes for extra-careful mailage of my precious Phot (and no, that wasn't meant to be a sound effect). This thread is coaxing me to get on with it, d-r-r-r-rat you, dc-foont.

Jul 6, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #35 of 57
Also, if you need a bag, the small iPod rodie bag from www.ebags.com is great and it's $20 -

Portableriginbag.jpg

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #36 of 57
I use a headroom giga bag that allows you scroll without taking out of the bag. (I have a Xin SM IV with a wyvren AG16 ic. The Ic does stick out of the top of the bag a bit and using the controls of the amp needs some nimble fingers, but it works well for transport.)

Skylab, is that what you have to do? I really like the look of your bag.

Jul 6, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
I use a headroom giga bag that allows you scroll without taking out of the bag. (I have a Xin SM IV with a wyvren AG16 ic. The Ic does stick out of the top of the bag a bit and using the controls of the amp needs some nimble fingers, but it works well for transport.)

Skylab, is that what you have to do? I really like the look of your bag.

I can reach the amp controls with everything in the bag, no problem. And I listen to my iPod in shuffle mode almost all the time so I rarely need to access the scroll wheel.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #38 of 57
couple of questions to those of you who got the imod...

how many of you sent a new battery in with your ipod? i'll probably do this since i still have the original battery with my ipod...

did any of you have the invisible shield on your ipod? i wonder if it's possible to cut with an exacto knife the small tabs that overlap the case seam so that i wouldn't have to remove the IS before sending it to vinnie...i know the IS is pretty tough so don't know if this would work, but i'd hate to remove it...my 4G ipod is pristine and i don't want any scratches put on it...

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #39 of 57
if you have an SR-71, get a Shure E4 - there is a magical combination b/w those two. No fantasy romance can hold a candle to the magic they create when combined...

Jul 7, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 57
Skylab: I searched for various iterations of "iPod rodie bag" ("iPod ro[a]die [bag/case]" on eBags and couldn't find yours. Who's the manufacturer?

Quote:

DC-Foont? What the heck is a DC-foont?

See this. The term is ironic and meant with affection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
if you have an SR-71, get a Shure E4 - there is a magical combination b/w those two.

Having lived with the XP-7 and the E4, I can verify their symbiosis. And since the AD797-equipped XP-7 can sound quite like an SR-71 (though I still preferred the XP-7 slightly during brief comparisons), I can only imagine the SR/E4 pairing would be a good one. The XP-7 brings out the highs of which the E4 is capable without raking the ears with sibilance; the full range is satisfyingly represented as well. An excellent combination for visceral pleasure (and cerebral analysis).

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #41 of 57
Jul 19, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #42 of 57
Thanks for the recommendations for the bags! I still haven't decided which one will work best for me.

I received the iMod a few days ago...it is currently burning in along with my new AKG k81dj headphones.

So I have the iMod, an amp, and portable cans. But what do I do about portable speakers? I have the Altec Lansing im-1 (now called the im-plus), which works well with my un-modded Nano. I thought maybe I charge the iMod through the im-1, and use a mini-mini cable to connect to the AUX port in the back of the im-1. Simple, right? Except that the Altec made a loud crackling sound and I couldn't get any music through the AUX port.

So the Altec Lansing im-1 is a bust. What other portable speakers are good with a DAP? The Altec im-4 or xt-1? I know there are a lot of iPod-focused portable speakers out there, but I need one that isn't.

Any suggestions?

Jul 20, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #43 of 57
my 4G is now in the hands of vinnie (or at least in the next day or two). i can't remember what he said turnaround time was, but hopefully sooner rather than later. if all goes well, it will arrive the same time as my supermini IV (ordered on july 05)...tomorrow i pick up my UM2...that should make for a nice portable system...whadda ya think?

as for bags, i'm quite fond of the crumpler line of bags...their point-and-shoot camera bags fit an ipod/amp combo perfectly. 'tis a shame that they almost have too many choices with crazy names...i couldn't tell you which ones i have.

external speakers...no idea. my wife has this cylinder/tube shaped speaker from virgin. sounds okay as far as cheap speakers go...we use it mainly for listening to movies on our computer when traveling.

Jul 20, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #44 of 57
That cylinder thing is the "Boomtube" on my list...two little speakers on each end that you unscrew and the middle part acts like a subwooofer, right?

The Virgin version of the Boomtube is gone. It was picked up by another company, "Think Outside," when Virgin stopped selling it. Supposedly the new company made a few changes to the Virigin design. Now it's the "TO Boomtube H201" and it costs $149-$200 on the web.

So a thumbs down on the Boomtube?

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

That cylinder thing is the "Boomtube" on my list...two little speakers on each end that you unscrew and the middle part acts like a subwooofer, right?

The Virgin version of the Boomtube is gone. It was picked up by another company, "Think Outside," when Virgin stopped selling it. Supposedly the new company made a few changes to the Virigin design. Now it's the "TO Boomtube H201" and it costs $149-$200 on the web.

So a thumbs down on the Boomtube?

$149-200?!?! what did TO do with the boomtube? i think we paid $45 for the boomtube with the rechargeable battery. i'm not sure about how it will sound as a speaker for the ipod...will wait to see when i get my imod back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back