JVC FX500 | yellow filter, black filter, and cotton removal - review!
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 30
I agree with you completely, speakers and IEM's are the way to go, my Tesla T5p and Denon D5000's usually accumulate dust.

If you only want to spend the money once, it'd be JH Audio JH11 in my auditioning experience (I like it better than JH16).

I'd then buy the latest smartphone (for simplicity) or a Hi-Fi DAP with a good DAC in it (like Colorfly CK4), connect it to a nice portable amplifier (which I could put OPA627 in), and call it a day.

That's the most concise "spend only once" advice I can give I think.

EDIT:  Actually on second thought (willw) you already have such resolving speakers, you don't really need to chase that in IEM's.  I think the Sony EX800ST / MDR-7550 would compliment your Minidisc well and offer you a huge soundstage improvement on the FX500's. :wink:

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #17 of 30
Thanks for your input Kiteki.  Alas the JH11s are way over budget - I was just steeling myself to spring for the  UM3x!  If I get them from Amazon I can at least return them if I don't like them...
I'm keeping the minidisc players - they're probably my favourite toys. I just want some IEMs that bring out the best from them. Everything I've tried so far has had shortcomings - it's probably time I tried some multiple driver balanced armature IEMs. Everything I read about the UM3x suggests they may have the kind of uncoloured clarity & separation I'm looking for.   

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #18 of 30
I haven't heard the UM3X, but I do know which balanced armature drivers it uses, CI-22955 and TWFK.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604851/chart-balanced-armature-based-in-ear-monitors-technical-characteristics

In my experience, you need 4 drivers (UM Mage, JH11) to enter sonic boom, and 6 or 8 drivers (UM Miracle, JH16) is writing cheques it can't cash.

Tuning, like the Titanium nozzles in Audio Technica CK10 and FitEar MH334, improve the sound quality, but the drivers are the heart of any IEM, speaker or headphone, anechoic chamber or not.

That's why universal dynamic driver IEM's are interesting to me, since Sony and JVC have put exceptional effort into their development.

So while JH11 and UM Mage are my "buy only once" recommendation IEM's, dynamic drivers still have a lot to offer.

If you try the $56 Vsonic R04 Flagship Edition I think you'll be impressed.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #20 of 30
Yes it's not bad. Gets better if you take out the black filters and EQ the top & bottom down a notch, and the mids up a notch. Proper fitting with the right tips makes a huge amount of difference of course, as with all IEMs.
Since posting I have bought some Westone UM3x from a forum member, and looking forward to trying them....

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #21 of 30
I can unfortunately not take anything out as i have these on loan.
I do not really like to EQ and these earphones carry a V signature and they are rather nice at it. It is not the signature that i would go to for a purchase but these are the second best V i have heard after the TF10s and in front of the Hippo VB and FAD Adagio III!

Hope you enjoy your Westone. I have never tried anything Westone. Only big company i am yet to try now :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 30
That FX500 looks overdamped, that is why the bass levels are so high, but people like that. This thread makes me want to get one perform the same mods and then send them to a friend for graphs. 

Have you tried small bore tips? That may level out the treble

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:
That FX500 looks overdamped, that is why the bass levels are so high, but people like that. This thread makes me want to get one perform the same mods and then send them to a friend for graphs. 

Have you tried small bore tips? That may level out the treble

It is and the levels still do not compete with the Hippo VB and FAD Adagio III but are still high (bass).

I have tried all the tips that will fit which is not since these have so large nozzles.

If you do that i would be interested in the results.

In the UK you can get them rather cheaply.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #24 of 30
After using these modified FX500's outside on trams and such now, I can note the isolation is close to zero, the bass is a little light at times, and the highs a little strident.

I imagine the average customer, on hearing these, would complain about the lack of isolation and the lack of bass.  I wouldn't feel safe using them in the rain either. =)

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #25 of 30
lack of bass??? This is after the mod right? I think these are nearing on as good as it gets for the average consumer to of the box. Do you not agree. Sound wise as the isolation is awful.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #26 of 30
Lack of bass from FX500??  I think either you've damaged them with unwise mods, or you're using the wrong tips. The stock rubber tips are fine with these IEMs, but correct seating is essential. There are some foam tips included in the box, but, foam tips do tend to make just about anything sound like an early transistor radio.
I like the FX500 with bottom & top EQ'd down a notch, & mids up a notch. The bass starts to be in proportion and not bad quality, rather than that overblown synthetic sub-bass sound we so often get fobbed off with.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:
lack of bass??? This is after the mod right?

Quote:
Lack of bass from FX500??  I think either you've damaged them with unwise mods, or you're using the wrong tips.

Well, kiteki said "outside on trams and such". With so little isolation, bass is the first thing to suffer in a noisy environment. Perhaps that's why they were tuned that bassy in the first place, don't forget, most people use IEMs on the go.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Well, kiteki said "outside on trams and such". With so little isolation, bass is the first thing to suffer in a noisy environment. Perhaps that's why they were tuned that bassy in the first place, don't forget, most people use IEMs on the go.

he did also say that he lost a lot of bass by doing the mods so that was all i was curious of.
I have used these in places that have beed fairly noisy, not quite trams, and still had the big bass from them.

Anyway if anyone wants to check it out here is my review of them:

[REVIEW] JVC HA-FX1000: The Big V

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #29 of 30
^ Good review, please check my post in your thread. I might get one of these and try the mods. Also, I'm quite curious whether the bass distortion issue has really been fixed on the current units.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #30 of 30
lack of bass??? This is after the mod right? I think these are nearing on as good as it gets for the average consumer to of the box. Do you not agree. Sound wise as the isolation is awful.

Lack of bass from FX500??  I think either you've damaged them with unwise mods, or you're using the wrong tips. The stock rubber tips are fine with these IEMs, but correct seating is essential. There are some foam tips included in the box, but, foam tips do tend to make just about anything sound like an early transistor radio.
I like the FX500 with bottom & top EQ'd down a notch, & mids up a notch. The bass starts to be in proportion and not bad quality, rather than that overblown synthetic sub-bass sound we so often get fobbed off with.

Sorry I just realised I never replied to this.  After my modification the JVC FX500 becomes bass-light and extremely open-air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back