JVC HA-FXT90 Thread
Jan 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #1,036 of 2,211
It depends on what you've used (or are also using) and your perception. I think dynamic range can be trickier than frequency response in terms of perception. I'll say that it is lacking but not too much, mvw2 explains the reasons why in another thread. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #1,037 of 2,211

Quote:
It depends on what you've used (or are also using) and your perception. I think dynamic range can be trickier than frequency response in terms of perception. I'll say that it is lacking but not too much, mvw2 explains the reasons why in another thread. 

I see. I just listened to 'Oh Fortuna' from Carmina Burana, and the softer passages were significantly distinguished from the louder ones.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #1,038 of 2,211
Yes, it's not like it's going to compress your music so much that it will rid of the recording's dynamics, but compared to an IEM like the RE262 or FXT90 the difference is there. Even compressed IEMs have a bit of dynamic range by nature of the recording. 

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,040 of 2,211

Quote:
Yes, it's not like it's going to compress your music so much that it will rid of the recording's dynamics, but compared to an IEM like the RE262 or FXT90 the difference is there. Even compressed IEMs have a bit of dynamic range by nature of the recording. 

I guess I may have find a pair of those FXT90s to A/B with.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,041 of 2,211
Another head-fi'er explained that with the GR07, you're sitting towards the back of the concert hall .. with the FXT's, you're in the first row tapping your feet and bobbing your head with the music.

That's a pretty massive exaggeration of the GR07's soundstage & positioning.  The FXT puts you two or three rows back while the GR07 is probably five to seven rows back.  Feeling like you're placed at the very back of the hall?  Hardly.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,043 of 2,211
Anyone trustworthy want to do a short term swap? GR07 for FXT90? Or even rent me an unused pair? Ive got references. Let me know. I just dont want to spend another 150$ while sending the GR07s back for a refund if I dont like the FXT90 as much. Well, it wouldnt bother me much but the wife is already getting pretty annoyed with what appears to be numerous audio purchases in the last couple months :p

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,045 of 2,211

Quote:
Whoever told you that is lying. Compare and contrast joker's reviews of the GR07 and FXT90. He himself said that the GR07 has good dynamics.

Quote:
That's true, but they're not lacking like some are trying to make it seem. I bet 70% of those people don't even know what dynamic range is.

Too many liars who don't know what they're talking about.
rolleyes.gif
Or perhaps just differing communication skills and variations in personal experience?

The GR07s do have a good dynamic range when compared to my BAs. However, the FXT90s dynamic range is greater still, at least to my ears. This may be partly related to their deeper soundstage. In my experience the GR07s soundstage is shallower, but has much greater width. Imo these are trade-offs rather than weakness, and allow each IEM to meet very different needs.

I think what Olear meant by "at the back of the concert whilst reading", was that the GR07s sound less intimate, placing you further away from the stage than the in-your-face FXT90s. The GR07s are also noticeably smoother and less fatiguing, making them ideal for use whilst doing other things, such as reading. I'd say that my own personal experience reflects this.

Quote:
Well I have been listening to my GR07s for around 100ish hours now and REALLY love them, though I am coming from Atrios and I feel like I am missing the oomph, like they are soft for lack of a better word. Some tracks sound incredible, where others (usually hip hop) where there is a lot of sub bass, tend to be lacking excitement. Dont get me wrong, the sub bass is there, but it is not felt (again for lack of a better term). Does the FXT90 have what I am looking for? Are they as good at everything else the way the GR07 is but with that little bit extra? 

I think that pretty much all IEMs at this price range will appear to lack oomph, if you're coming from the Atrios. Have you tried amping your GR07s?  In my experience the FXT90s do not reach down quite as deep as the GR07s, but have greater impact. The FXT90s bass is noticeably more forward than that of the GR07s, but so too is its treble and mids. The FXT90s are more coloured, and in my experience more exciting / fun. That said, I certainly do not feel that the FXT90s do everything that the GR07s do, with a bit extra. They're actually very different signatures, which meet very different needs. Of course, other users may have a very different experience of the two, but if they do, I have not read them.

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,046 of 2,211
I posted this on another thread and thought it would be equally relevant here. Here's a brief description of my impressions of the FXT90  vs the FX-700:

"I actually think that the FX700 sound less aggressive than the FXT90s, who's presentation is significantly more forward, placing you very close to the music. In comparison, the FX700 places you further back, giving the impression of live music played on a stage. The FXT90s also have a much narrower sound stage (though I'd say the two are equal in depth), giving the music a more 'in-your-face' feel.  

The FX-700 demonstrates greater detail retrival throughout the frequency spectrum, but particularly in treble and bass. What makes it such a good IEM is that it does this without sounding analytical, cold, or soul-less. Although the FXT90 is clearly less refined, it puts more emphasis on the sound as a whole, creating an excellent sense of cohesion. Personally I feel that these are trade-offs rather than weaknesses on the part of the FXT90s, as both presentations are enjoyable in equal measures. "

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #1,047 of 2,211
Concise, informative input Nulliverse. Sounds pretty accurate for me as well from what I recall when I compared the FX700 to FXT90. Will add you to the first page in addition to other impressions soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back