JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,958 of 3,142
I've finally returned to the club myself. I reacquired my JVC HA-DX2000 from the person I sold them to.

Now I do kinda wish I just picked up some less expensive HP-DX1000s so I wouldn't be so worried about putting them back in a hardshell case after every use.

I have a 4 year old son who loves playing with headphones, so expensive/rare cans like the DX2000s need maximum protection.

Ah well, unless someone wants to buy the DX2000 off me or trade their DX1000+cash, I'll hang onto them and put them carefully back into a hardshell case every day!

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,959 of 3,142
These DX1000 are so good. They really do have magic to them which you will not get with other headphones. The bass and midrange is amazing, and the treble is dialed just right to make them a totally non-fatiguing listen. Vocals just pop, so smooth and liquid. And the soundstage engulfs you in sound, absolutely incredible on a totally closed back, sealed headphone.

I've heard a lot of other headphones. Mostly, they compete with each other in the resolution department. They try to be as clean and clear as possible and tune down the bass and crank the treble to get those details. They try to measure with the least distortion and best numbers. The DX1000 says screw that, and goes for maximum enjoyment. There is a lushness, a warmth and resonating powerful sound here that is very pleasing. But there is also sparkle in just the right spots, they sparkle just right on top of the beautiful, powerful bass and silky midrange.

The DX1000 defines the word musical. They are for enjoying the music. They are captivating, warm and lush with a sound I've not heard from anything else. Really special headphones they made here. I always am about enjoying the music, and it seems this was the entire goal here... to make the most musically pleasing headphone. Shame so many other headphones don't share the same goal.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,960 of 3,142
These DX1000 are so good. They really do have magic to them which you will not get with other headphones. The bass and midrange is amazing, and the treble is dialed just right to make them a totally non-fatiguing listen. Vocals just pop, so smooth and liquid. And the soundstage engulfs you in sound, absolutely incredible on a totally closed back, sealed headphone.

I've heard a lot of other headphones. Mostly, they compete with each other in the resolution department. They try to be as clean and clear as possible and tune down the bass and crank the treble to get those details. They try to measure with the least distortion and best numbers. The DX1000 says screw that, and goes for maximum enjoyment. There is a lushness, a warmth and resonating powerful sound here that is very pleasing. But there is also sparkle in just the right spots, they sparkle just right on top of the beautiful, powerful bass and silky midrange.

The DX1000 defines the word musical. They are for enjoying the music. They are captivating, warm and lush with a sound I've not heard from anything else. Really special headphones they made here. I always am about enjoying the music, and it seems this was the entire goal here... to make the most musically pleasing headphone. Shame so many other headphones don't share the same goal.

Yep.

I was engulfed in the chase for audiophile perfection for a while, and in that time I've kept the Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD650, Fostex TH 900 and the JVC HPDX 1000.

Back then I would probably talk quite a lot about stuff such as TH 900s clarity, or the realism of the HD650, or the warm, well tempered tonality of the D5000 - and really at first, I found the JVCs a bit strange sounding. I always felt it had a lot of good qualities, especially with more powerful amplifiers where its resolution and detail came into play more, but I would still find my other headphones more interesting from an "audiophile" perspective. But now that I've been away from reading about headphones, amps, cables, highs mids and lows etc etc, I'm grabbing my JVCs most of the time. Your post sums it up quite nicely.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,961 of 3,142
Twerk put it nicely. Exactly how I feel about dx1000. From what I've red Pioneer se-master 1 might be The only flagship to have same goal as dx1000: musicality before technicality. Wish I had a change to hear those some day.

Off topic. I was auditioning headphones at My local dealer. I was (again) auditioning hd800s and I asked The seller what is The best headphone he has heard because he talked so highly about hd800s. His best headphone experience was with he-1. They had it for a while but only 10 people came to listen. If I had known of The event I could have listened to The New orpheus for hours. And now i propably never get to hear it.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,962 of 3,142
Finally i received the JVC HP-DX1000 today. First impressions, the sound is very clear and airy for being fully closed back, and have very good details
I have tested them watching TV (2 programs of 30 minutes of duration). The bass isn´t (for now) very full (I need to do a complete test or they need more burn in)
I will test them in saturday

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #2,963 of 3,142
Figure out how to get a proper seal. They are finicky until you figure out the fit. At that point, the bass is huge.

At a meet a while back, one person couldn't get a proper fit and thought they were bass light. Most people thought the bass was bonkers, then we measured the frequency response.

The bass is bonkers.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,964 of 3,142
Finally i received the JVC HP-DX1000 today. First impressions, the sound is very clear and airy for being fully closed back, and have very good details
I have tested them watching TV (2 programs of 30 minutes of duration). The bass isn´t (for now) very full (I need to do a complete test or they need more burn in)
I will test them in saturday

Directly comparing the JVCs to my TH 900 and Denon AH-D5000, they don't have the same visceral slam or definition, but it is definitely there in spades - I would describe it as a bassy headphone overall. The awesome thing about the JVCs is that the mids are as forward as they are - few headphones have this kind of bass while also having "forward-ish" mids. And the highs are entirely inoffensive.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #2,965 of 3,142
That is that i wanted in them. The forward midrange, and the bassy signature. Because of now, they sound similar to my T90 or DT880 special editions (and also in some extend to my shures), with maybe less bass. I need to do more test and burn in in saturday...
...The awesome thing about the JVCs is that the mids are as forward as they are - few headphones have this kind of bass while also having "forward-ish" mids. And the highs are entirely inoffensive.

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,966 of 3,142
Mine are very bassy! Stick on some EDM or Dubstep and you'll surely hear it. And like Audiothief says, because the highs are not at all bothersome, it is the mids and bass that will control how loud you can play them.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,967 of 3,142
Well after of listening to them today with the test what i do, i can conclude the next.
They sound as a very good subwoofer (a controlled one). They are very present in the mid-sub bass and subbass (from 90 hz - 10 hz), and `less´ pressent on 100 hz-160, and almost very present 160-250 (upper midbass-upper bass). The bass reverberates when there is lows and very lows frecuencies, in a very good way!
They are a very engaging headphone, and very detailed in the bass and mids, and in some places in the highs too (Some MP3 sounds very bad), but the midrange sounds something off (female vocals (not all, but various of them, specially in classical songs), male not much) as hollow. The piano notes (not all) sound also something off. The upper midrange is very forward, but in a good way (I like it, is very engaging)
They have a present highs (not lacking at all) with very good sparkle, and a little darker in tonal character compared with my other headphones, but is good for that they are (completelly closed with faux leather and not velours)
They have good separation and positioning and very good image, and speed!
They sound excellent and very engaging with anime (Openings - endings, anime musical vids) of very good quality, and with some Jpop, dubstep, EDM, trance, etc
They have the soundstage similar to most of my headphones in size (Very good size ), included open ones.
And they are very beautifull too.
Definitively the most musical of all my headphones (They win over my DT880 special edition an T90 special edition)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #2,968 of 3,142
These JVCs just keeps blowing me away. The detail, warmth and energy is just magnificent. Holy smokes they sound fantastic! I originally thought they were a bit congested and inferior versions of the TH 900, and they even seemed a bit closed in compare to my denon AH-D5000, but they are just so damn technically impressive with an awesome tonality. And man oh man, the detail retrieval in these are really something else.

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #2,969 of 3,142
I was listening to use your illusion II tonight. I'm quite sure the reason I love dx1000 it sounds like my salora speakers when I was a teen. It was salora orthoperspectra but instead of one central mid/sub speaker I had two of those. It was large floorstanders with 10" bass, and occasionally I even had 15" subwoofer to made sure.

It was not audiophile...but it was quite decent soundwise. I had a proper amp to run the system...It was a farm house in the middle of the woods. I was sixteen... And when I crank up the volume it could be heard miles a way by mooses and squirrels. Dx1000 reminds me of that sensation. It is loud, bassy, somehow even wrong...but it just puts a smile on my face :) :metal:

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #2,970 of 3,142
I made the mistake of using my DX2000 on my Eddie Current Super 7.

They sounded so incredible, I'm not sure I can bring myself to sell them.

Frickin' scammer taking my money. Ugh.

Looking into alternative methods to keep them and sell some other stuff. I know the amp would go fast, but I don't want to let it go.

I've had a few offers on my Orchid DAC, but I also don't want to let go of that...

My setup is pretty much right where I want it. And the JVC belongs here.

Option E17 is convince my wife to let me keep it and just eat the loss from the scam.

Anyway, I got rambling. If you're looking for a great amp for these headphones, put the Eddie Current Super 7 on your list. It's unobtainium but incredible.

The best lower cost amp for them is the Garage1217 Project Sunrise III. $250 and amazing. Spend another $100 or so on a linear power supply and it's close to TOTL amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back