JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Oct 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #3,061 of 3,142
Glad to hear these still get love. :) this thread has been quiet lately. I still think I could use a open back headphones. Thinking about Pioneer Master 1. Definately not cheap but from what I've red it seems only potential upgrade from dx1000 without sacrificing bass or soundstage. Anyone heard those?

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,062 of 3,142
I've heard the Master 1 twice, both for very short auditions. Take my impressions with a big pinch of salt as the conditions were not ideal with my 'adequate' portable rig (although the Pioneers are sensitive headphones so they can't be all that difficult to drive) but I do prefer to listen with my own equipment and music.

The first time I heard it well over a year ago, I didn't like it. Treble was a bit piercing, and I think I found something in the midrange that I didn't like.
Graphs might confirm that it was the peak around 5-6kHz.
This was before I owned the DX1000.

Fast forward a little:
The second audition which was maybe a couple of months ago at most, I actually really liked it.
It's difficult to remember exactly, but I think it's an exciting combination of fast, detailed mids and treble, combined with a slow, natural bass.
None of that clean, dry boring bass... it was more raw, slow to decay, believable and just more of a musical, pleasurable listen.

After seeing the Master 1's less-than-stellar measurements and extreme distortion, especially in the lower frequencies, I'm tempted to believe it might have been engineered to be worse, so it sounds better.
And since you're in this wacky thread, enjoying the 'performance' of one of the weirdest flagship level headphones ever conceived, you might also like the Master 1.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #3,063 of 3,142
Glad to hear these still get love. :) this thread has been quiet lately. I still think I could use a open back headphones. Thinking about Pioneer Master 1. Definately not cheap but from what I've red it seems only potential upgrade from dx1000 without sacrificing bass or soundstage. Anyone heard those?

I owned the DX1000 for about 6 months I think and currently own the SE Master 1. Though I liked the JVC, it didn't match my Denon LA7000 and for me the SE Master 1 is the best headphone I've owned or audtitioned (which numbers over 60 now). The bass on the Pioneer is outstanding. There's a Pioneer on the classifieds for a GREAT price.................like over $1K below retail.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #3,064 of 3,142
Thanks for the input @GREQ and @Oregonian ! Guess I really should look into pioneers. First I need to make sure that I don't need hd800 for anything... It is hard to get really into what they're about when I'd rather listen my other headphones instead. If hd800 goes so do SPL phonitor and Hegel hd10. I will miss those vu meters! :frowning2: Color balls on mojo don't quite do the trick.

Out of curiosity, anyone have experience with Sony z1r? From what I red maybe it could be one of those "engineered to be worse, so it sounds better." headphones.

I definately don't need another expensive closed back but somehow I just end up buying Sony headphones. So far I've had 2x sa5000, 2x F1, 2x xb1000, cd3000, ma900, r1a, 100aap, xb700, xb500 and some others.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #3,065 of 3,142
Thanks for the input @GREQ and @Oregonian ! Guess I really should look into pioneers. First I need to make sure that I don't need hd800 for anything... It is hard to get really into what they're about when I'd rather listen my other headphones instead. If hd800 goes so do SPL phonitor and Hegel hd10. I will miss those vu meters! :frowning2: Color balls on mojo don't quite do the trick.

Out of curiosity, anyone have experience with Sony z1r? From what I red maybe it could be one of those "engineered to be worse, so it sounds better." headphones.

I definately don't need another expensive closed back but somehow I just end up buying Sony headphones. So far I've had 2x sa5000, 2x F1, 2x xb1000, cd3000, ma900, r1a, 100aap, xb700, xb500 and some others.

I had it for a few months and sold it. Was personally not impressed with it - though I love me some bass, it was too bassy for my liking without being clean.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,070 of 3,142
If you lurk eBay remember to keep an eye out for dx700. I paid less than $300 for a near mint pair with box and manuals.

Let me know if you ever decide to sell them :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3,074 of 3,142
There was an auction for a DX2000 last week on Ebay. I was very tempted but finally didnt pull the trigger (they have been sold for $495 shipping included). The one I want to acquire is definitely the DX1000. I'm patient as I look for a pair in good condition for a reasonable price.

I own a pair of modded DX700 (short cable and marble cups) and I like them a lot. They have a unique sound - bassy warm naturalness with soft highs and huge staging.

I'm too sad stock pads are impossible to find. I contacted audiocubes who apparently sells them here, there was no image on the product page: https://audiocubes.com/collections/...lacement-earpads-for-jvc-hp-dx1000-headphones

I asked them to show some visual of the pads and they updated the page. The pads are just not the same as original DX700-1000-2000 pads

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #3,075 of 3,142
The picture looks like some random generic pads one they grabbed to simply just post up.
If they are official DX series pads they sell , then those pics sure look different and simply a page filler to me.
Good to know though they do sell stock ones still.
Unless that picture is accurate, in which case they are not exactly like original stock in my opinion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back