KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Aug 14, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #18 of 2,441
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 2,441
I understand that KB is working on new IEMs, right now I feel like they have potential for build quality and overall desgin, but I'm not convinced by the Opal or F1 personally. Still, I am curious to see where they go!
The Opal is not really good at the moment. Wendy told me they're working on a new revision, so let's hope it will be better than the current one. The F1, on the other hand, seems decent to me. It sounds good for a single-BA IEM, actually better than I expected it to. And it's really comfortable, too. What does not convince you about it?

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #22 of 2,441
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 2,441
The Opal is not really good at the moment. Wendy told me they're working on a new revision, so let's hope it will be better than the current one. The F1, on the other hand, seems decent to me. It sounds good for a single-BA IEM, actually better than I expected it to. And it's really comfortable, too. What does not convince you about it?

Simply put,

F1 is barely decent. Very limited dynamic range, and if you pump the volume it has distortions. As for the Opal, I didn't like the tuning very much

Thing is, maybe I am not the right one to ask about whether they are worth 25 USD each. I mean, they most probably are. The build quality is top notch, comfort is good, and I expect those to survive for a WHILE

What I do not know if I would recommend is purchasing them above a 50 USD IEM, where there are options that have the same good build quality and better sound. I mean, I had times when I couldn't invest in audio. 15 years ago or such... I still saved and got stuff that was at least in the 50 USD range back then, so my point isn't that the KB Ear are not good. In fact, they are pretty brilliant, when you consider the price, it is just that sonically, pretty much anything below 50 USD is going to be entry level...

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #27 of 2,441
Do you know which BA driver is in your F1?

I do: Bellsing 32257

kbear-F1-ba4.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #28 of 2,441
I've no idea and I don't think I can notice I literally can't seem to find any code, just shiny surface on the drivers...

Perhaps that is why you didn’t like it?

If your driver is so generic there’s not even any markings, then it’s anyone’s guess if it sounds like it was intended to. We know there’s at least 4 different drivers (unintentionally) used in the F1, and some are better than others (and even have different tuning than others).

Aug 17, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #29 of 2,441

If your driver is so generic there’s not even any markings, then it’s anyone’s guess if it sounds like it was intended to. We know there’s at least 4 different drivers (unintentionally) used in the F1, and some are better than others (and even have different tuning than others).

I feel quite bad for KBear, they are an up and coming company, but they are getting the short end of certain decisions (probably unintentional), such as this different driver issue in the F1, and the fiasco where there were 3 similarly tuned IEMs (Tripowin TP10, KBear KB10 and CCA A10) all being manufactured by KZ as OEM.
I really hope they do well though, as more CHIFI companies is good for customers. Hopefully these are just teething mistakes made in the contract discussions, and they will get more experienced with time.

Aug 17, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #30 of 2,441

That would explain why my experience differs so much from that of @Dobrescu George. I really hope KB EAR can do better in the future with more consistent quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back