Keep my MDR CD3000?
Jan 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mrsamo

New Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Just weighing the option of selling off my MDR CD3000 which I bought many years ago and have rarely used it because of travel and it was quite expensive when I got it so didn't want to use it too much.  You can say its a display ornament right now :)

On the road I've been making more use of my AKG K518DJs and Phillips SHP8900, especially the Phillips which was far cheaper and more worry free for daily use.  In fact I'm quite happy with using the Phillips for movie watching and some music in bed (where I'm using headphones mostly).  It seems that my enthusiasm for headphones might have gone down now that I'm more into photography (another "sorry for your wallet" hobby).  The AKGs were great when I first got them but they're a tight fit.  If I can make them a bit looser then they'll be more permanent in my backpack than the Creative earphones that I have.

As I'm planning to migrate I'm wondering if I should really sell the Sony or keep it and try and create a system around it?  My current system is very basic and probably an insult to those who really get the right gear and music to justify these headphones.  I haven't actually had anyone help me directly on how to appreciate good sound properly so didn't know if my basic setup was any good or not.

Its a legendary headphone and I'm proud of the fact that it's still in excellent condition with plastic covering and not a scratch on it.  Was going to keep it the way it is but wonder if that's doing it more harm than good.  Thanks for your advice.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 11
These were the most comfortable to wear closed headphones I've ever owned (traded them for an amp a few weeks ago). They're also detailed, fairly balanced and have a nice bass presence. The only thing is, maybe they don't sound neutral on most systems, but you might not be looking for that at all. They're getting rarer to find in good condition too. People seem to think recabling them to dual cable entry (1 per cup) makes them better.

You can probably get a relatively inexpensive DAC/AMP combo (or amp if you already have a dac) to match depending on your sound preferences from about 250-450 (MD11, D100, etc, they all sounded pretty good with my CD3000). So I guess it's more of a questions of - do you want to keep them/will they see enough use since they can't be used in a mobile setting of any sort.

If you come to the Melbourne meet, there'll be plenty of sources/amps to try with it.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 11

Easy to sell but could be hard to replace if you get to miss them.
I sold a pair of Headphile CD3000's and am still wondering if I did the right thing.
The fact that original ear pads are NA might help in your decision.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 11
What does NA mean? 

What did you replace your CD3000 with?

I just found myself using the Phillips more and more mainly because it was just easier to use casually without worrying if it would break someday, plus I'm using it mainly to watch movies now.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 11
By NA ford means they're available from audiocubes2 for $100 or at least were 2 month ago or so when I got the headband assembly from them.
Ebay non sony ones cost only $10 but are nice enough.

>I sold a pair of Headphile CD3000's and am still wondering if I did the right thing.

those looked sensational and were recabled/balanced? (hint hint)

>What did you replace your CD3000 with?

mine are replaced by a ATH-W5000 (for closed hp at least). Bit less bassy, have to EQ now (+5-2 Db from 20 to 250hz), but nice mids.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 11

Afraid to say it but they are NA despite some still advertizing them.

And I replaced them with K1000's.(but still have a stock pair CD3000's)

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 11

Afraid to say it but they are NA despite some still advertizing them.

And I replaced them with K1000's.(but still have a stock pair CD3000's)

=) good thing I haven't ordered a pair then. audiocubes would've probably taken a year to tell me about them being out of stock and refunding the ccard charge.

Jan 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 11
I'm still on the fence with the CD3000, if I keep it then I'll just use it at most once a week.  It is far better than my other headsets, far better.  It's just a little fragile for an everyday headset IMO.

Also, I seem to be using my speakers a lot more than my headsets now, I love them!

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 11
If you do decide to sell them. PM me, I'm quite interested.

I think you should keep them, it is a good investment and if they are in good shape as time passes, the value of it would definitely go up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back